Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I made some pasta and white sauce with grilled chicken last night. The sauce was very easy (and probably terribly unhealthy!).

3/4 cup milk

8 oz cream cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Italian spices (garlic, basil, oregeno, black pepper)

Mix all of 'em together in a pot and heat until the cream cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.

I steamed some broccolli, mushrooms, peas, and scallions and served them over the pasta, and grilled some chicken with italian spices.

I think I'm going to use the leftover sauce and chicken and make a pizza tonight or tomorrow. Pizza with white sauce, lotsa mozzarella, grilled chicken, veggies... mmmmm... :drool:

Actually' date=' one of the space stations in my hard sci-fi campaign has restaurants that include rat in the menu.[/quote']

I suppose rat and squirrel taste much the same. When properly prepared, they're pretty good (I've heard), but just taking a rat, shoving a skewer up it's backside, and roasting it hair, guts, and all, does not sound particularly appetizing, unless it's a matter of survival.

This thread is qiockly devolving into a food blog. Where are the disgusting/obviously fattening/unhealthy comestibles?

I burned a frozen pizza last night. Still ate it. I remember now that some people prefer their toast burnt, but I won't be making that my preference.

I burned a frozen pizza last night. Still ate it. I remember now that some people prefer their toast burnt' date=' but I won't be making that my preference.[/quote']

The Wife likes food burnt. Reminds her of her grandmother's cooking. My mother-in-law has some major food phobias. She cooks everything far longer then it needs to be, just to be sure to kill any germs (and flavor). One of the worst examples that comes to mind is one easter we had a pre-cooked spiral cut ham. We could have just cut and ate it, but she insisted on cooking it as if it was raw. Twice baked works for some things, but turns ham into shoe leather.

I've also had salad with grilled, diced, chicken where I would be hard pressed to tell the meat from the croutons.

I burned a frozen pizza last night. Still ate it. I remember now that some people prefer their toast burnt' date=' but I won't be making that my preference.[/quote']

Back in my student days I found that cheap frozen pizzas were not worth eating, unless they were used as the crust, and one built a Real Pizza on top of it with the cheese and other toppings of choice added before putting it into the oven.

I made some pasta and white sauce with grilled chicken last night. The sauce was very easy (and probably terribly unhealthy!).

3/4 cup milk

8 oz cream cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Italian spices (garlic, basil, oregeno, black pepper)

Mix all of 'em together in a pot and heat until the cream cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.

I steamed some broccolli, mushrooms, peas, and scallions and served them over the pasta, and grilled some chicken with italian spices.

I think I'm going to use the leftover sauce and chicken and make a pizza tonight or tomorrow. Pizza with white sauce, lotsa mozzarella, grilled chicken, veggies... mmmmm... :drool:

Very similar to what I made a couple nights back for the sauce. Though I threw some cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper in as well. (And a bit of salt)

During the meat shortage of the 1970's (not so much a shortage as a price explosion -- there was plenty of meat out there, it was just expensive as heck) there were a lot of dog-eating jokes going around -- the idea being that people would be so desperate for meat that they'd eat their pets.

There were very few reports of that actually happening. This was also the period where horse meat was sold in the US (it never caught on).

Everything became expensive in the 1970s. Restaurants were finding that people were taking home large quantities of the sugar packets they kept at the table for sweetening coffee. Apparently people felt they couldn't afford to buy sugar, but since they were eating out anyway.... It became quite burdensome for the restaurant owners.

During the meat shortage of the 1970's (not so much a shortage as a price explosion -- there was plenty of meat out there, it was just expensive as heck) there were a lot of dog-eating jokes going around -- the idea being that people would be so desperate for meat that they'd eat their pets.

There were very few reports of that actually happening. This was also the period where horse meat was sold in the US (it never caught on).

Well, in the US. Elsewhere ... well, look up the expression "blockade mutton".

Mmmm... yeah' date=' cayenne pepper would work well in there I bet. :drool:[/quote']

Cayenne pepper and cheese is just a gorgeous combination all around. After trying it in my homemade mac & cheese, I can't eat any other mac & cheese without it (or at least some form of spiciness).

Cayenne pepper and cheese is just a gorgeous combination all around. After trying it in my homemade mac & cheese' date=' I can't eat any other mac & cheese without it (or at least some form of spiciness).[/quote']

1. Post your recipe for homemade mac 'n' cheese.

2. I love green chilis in my mac 'n' cheese.

3. Post your recipe or I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

When I made my honey-chocolate mousse this past Christmas' date=' I garnished it with whipped cream, toasted sesame seeds, cinnamon, a little bit of coarse sea salt -- and a little bit of cayenne. :eg:[/quote']

That's fair. I put cinnamon in my red chili con carne. It adds an interesting, subtle flavor that people just can't seem to place. :eg:

1. Post your recipe for homemade mac 'n' cheese.

2. I love green chilis in my mac 'n' cheese.

3. Post your recipe or I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

I'm not scared of you! I'm posting the recipe because ... umm, I can! Take that! :help:

Credit for the original recipe goes to my idol, Alton Brown. This is my modified recipe (more or less):

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients

• 8 oz.-12 oz. elbow macaroni
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
  • 3 cups milk (at least 1%)
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced (I've used white onions successfully, too. Red onions unsuccessfully. )
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (smoked is good if you have it)
  • 1 large egg
  • 6 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 6 ounces sharp Gruyere (or other Swiss), shredded
  • 4 ounces assorted other cheeses (I liked to try new varieties, usually with success)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (amount varies depending upon who's eating)
  • Several dashes of hot sauce (for flavor and color; Frank's works well)
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of diced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper

Topping:

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • Dash of fresh nutmeg

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
  • While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, hot sauce and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
  • Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne, nutmeg, and garlic. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
  • Melt the butter in a saute pan. Add nutmeg and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

Makes a lot, have a good sized casserole handy for the baking. You'll want to use a large pan for the sauce, too, so you have room to add the pasta and stir. You can prepare up to a pound of macaroni, but it gets a bit dry. One 12 oz box is best, I think.

Like Shamrock Shakes?

How about a gallon of Shamrock Shake?

For St. Patrick's Day this year, I was trying to drink one gallon of McDonald's Shamrock Shakes. Yes, one gallon. 128 fluid ounces. In one sitting. Why? Well, besides the obvious wiseass retort of "Why not?"(usually good enough for me) there's also the burning urge to refute the stereotype that we Irish are all about alcohol. I'm here to prove once and for all that we can binge drink anything, not just booze.