Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

Well we had our own little foray into this thread. My wife, son and I decided to try the Deep Fried Twinkie offered by a local 1950s themed diner. They have great food for the most part, but it is the last Deep Fried Twinkee I will partake of. Not only was it less tasty than a regular Twinkee (never as good as I expect), we felt like we were going to die after eating it, just a hard crunchy grease soaked Twinkee, yum, grease, sugar and a semi congealed creamy center. The ice cream it was served with was the only part I really liked.

BTW can anyone explain to me the connection between deep fried Twinkees, deep fried Oreos and the 1950s? They do a nice job with the theme, much better than say Mel's. I was not aware deep fried stuff was a big deal in the 50s.

I recently watched a show where people were roasting chilis until they were ultra spicy. Some people claim the hot chilis are medicinal. Someone in the show claimed that eating one "will cure your sore throat." :nonp: The host replied that it's because you wouldn't be able to feel anything in your mouth afterwards.

It's not just you. I struggled to finish the article' date=' and I just skimmed most of it.[/quote']

I was laughing at the author subverting the He-Man Woman Haters Club vibe of the event by bringing a dish that was undeniably masculine in nature but that would also make a lot of the guys attending distinctly uncomfortable.

My sister's Boyfriend (at the time) took her to meet his folks in the Dakotas. One of the "treats" they offered her were breaded, deep-fried "Rocky Mountain Oysters". She ate them. If my squeemish sister can eat something, then so can you unless the attempt is likely to trigger a psychotic episode. It's just meat! Sure, it's a part from the bull that makes him a steer forevermore, but I don't quite understand how it's not a good thing unless it's not kosher (I suspect eating part of an animal that still lives isn't), you don't like beef, or never touch organ meat for whatever reason.

If it's just sympathy for the formerly-male steer, where was this sympathy when you were eating a hamburger?

...Now I'm just hungry!

It's not just you. I struggled to finish the article' date=' and I just skimmed most of it.[/quote']

I was laughing at the author subverting the He-Man Woman Haters Club vibe of the event by bringing a dish that was undeniably masculine in nature but that would also make a lot of the guys attending distinctly uncomfortable.

My sister's Boyfriend (at the time) took her to meet his folks in the Dakotas. One of the "treats" they offered her were breaded, deep-fried "Rocky Mountain Oysters". She ate them. If my squeemish sister can eat something, then so can you unless the attempt is likely to trigger a psychotic episode. It's just meat! Sure, it's a part from the bull that makes him a steer forevermore, but I don't quite understand how it's not a good thing unless it's not kosher (I suspect eating part of an animal that still lives isn't), you don't like beef, or you never touch organ meat for whatever reason.

If it's just sympathy for the formerly-male steer, why don't you show any remorse for your hamburger? It was a steer once. At least this way you can guess how good the rest of 'im is going to taste. :eg:

...Now I'm just hungry!

All this talk about testicles reminds me about an Italian police drama I saw earlier in the week. If the subtitles are accurate, the inspector said he had a grenade and told the Mafia boss to "come out or I'll blow up your balls!"

Sorry for the derail. I had to get it out of my system. :o

All this talk about testicles reminds me about an Italian police drama I saw earlier in the week. If the subtitles are accurate, the inspector said he had a grenade and told the Mafia boss to "come out or I'll blow up your balls!"

Sorry for the derail. I had to get it out of my system. :o

I'm sure that was deeply meaningful (or possibly bring-the-house-down funny) but something was undoubtedly lost in the translation!

I wonder if that would work with ham. The green eggs are easy...

To the tune of "Dragons in the Deep"

I won't eat them here.

I won't eat them there.

I will not eat them in a boat.

I will not eat them with a goat.

I will not eat Green Eggs and Ham.

They are not kosher, Sam I Am!

I'm sure that was deeply meaningful (or possibly bring-the-house-down funny) but something was undoubtedly lost in the translation!

It would have been funny if it had taken place at a sporting goods store or a bowling alley. The bad guy would look fearfully around and say, "I cannot lose all my balls! I surrender!"

Sure' date=' it's a part from the bull that makes him a steer forevermore, but I don't quite understand how it's not a good thing unless it's not kosher (I suspect eating part of an animal that still lives isn't), you don't like beef, or you never touch organ meat for whatever reason.[/quote']

I don't eat beef, and I avoid organ meat as well. But for me, it was just the gleeful way she was talking about chopping up testicles (I know, it's just a cow and we don't have any problem killing and eating animals).

I don't eat beef' date=' and I avoid organ meat as well. But for me, it was just the gleeful way she was talking about chopping up testicles (I know, it's just a cow and we don't have any problem killing and eating animals).[/quote']

Maybe she knew it was an uncomfortable subject to some and was trying to lighten the mood. Then again, maybe she enjoyed the fact that it would mess with people's minds.

394898_395981680414623_203785576300902_1591299_1084928282_n.jpg

Pork belly confit taco (left)

Confit of pork belly, whole grain mustard aioli, pickled papaya and micro mustard greens

Vegan eggplant rollatini taco

Fresh eggplant stuffed with a root vegetable puree, tomato coulis, spring greens and balsamic streak