"Mystic Dart 'only vs living beings'."

Kaze9999

Re: "Mystic Dart 'only vs living beings'."

In the Fantasy Hero Grimoire' date=' is the limitation 'only vs living beings' on the 'Mystic Dart' spell meant to limit the spell from affecting undead[/quote']

I think that it's specifically so you can't shoot inanimate objects. It's basically a clone of "Magic Missile" with the serial numbers filed off.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm

JoeG

But yeah' date=' it wouldn't affect the undead, either.[/quote']

Or golems, or most forms of automaton constructs for that matter. Of course, the beauty of Hero is that if the Limitation doesn't fit a campaign, it's easily replaced with one that does. :)

JoeG

But yeah' date=' it wouldn't affect the undead, either.[/quote']

It would depend on the game world's definition of both 'Undead' and 'Living'.

For example if things that are undead are animated by 'life' energy stolden from others and living beings are beings animated by 'life' energy, then the spell, as written, probably works.

As a GM I would decide what I wanted the spell to affect and rewrite it accordingly.

Thanks everyone! I suppose it really comes down to what the GM thinks a -1/2 limitation justifies in terms of how often someone would otherwise find it useful vs inanimate objects and or undead. The copy editor in me wishes it said, 'not vs inanimate objects' if that's what was intended, but yeah, as GM I'm just going to decide based on what justifies 'doesn't work one third of the time', and my game has LOTS of undead in it! :eg:

'Not vs inanimate object'... great' date=' all this armor I have on protects me as the spell doesn't work on it, heheh.[/quote']

By that reasoning the limitation should be bigger, since clothes would also stop it; rain and fog would stop it; air would stop it...:)

How does calling it "only vs living beings" affect that interpretation? The armor is still on you' date=' and it's still not living.[/quote']

Can't destroy a high school balsa wood bridge, then it can't get through the metal plates I'm wearing... :)

Can't destroy a high school balsa wood bridge' date=' then it can't get through the metal plates I'm wearing... :)[/quote']

You forgot to read the house rules. Metals are conductive when it comes to mystic energy. Now, if you'd like to craft your armor out of balsa wood....;)

JoeG

Guest Worldmaker

Can't destroy a high school balsa wood bridge' date=' then it can't get through the metal plates I'm wearing... :)[/quote']

You are forgetting to apply Rule #1, namely: No GM with a brain in his head is going to let you get away with that argument because while it sticks to the letter of the limitation, it does not stick to the spirit and meaning of the limitation, and is thus a big pile of NO!.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm a different breed of cat...

Actually, it doesn't affect inanimate objects. It doesn't say anything about them stopping it. If you fire at an inanimate object, it will just keep going until it hits something living, runs out of range and disperses into a harmless light display or hits something, like the edge of the universe, the BBEG's antimagic shield, etc.

Right, it doesn't do anything to the armor you're wearing, it passes right through and blows a pumpkin sized hole in your stomach.

Right' date=' it doesn't do anything to the armor you're wearing, it passes right through and blows a pumpkin sized hole in your stomach.[/quote']

Oh, cool. So guess it can be used to kill a king in the middle of his throne room from outside it through the walls then, heheh :)

Right' date=' it doesn't do anything to the armor you're wearing, it passes right through and blows a pumpkin sized hole in your stomach.[/quote']

Oh' date=' cool. So guess it can be used to kill a king in the middle of his throne room from outside it through the walls then, heheh :)[/quote']

Nah, the mystic bolt doesn't affect your armour - but nothing here says armour does not affect mystic bolts. So if the mystic both does enough BOD or STUN to pass some through your amour's DEF, you wear that damage. It doesn't however damage your armour, and would not (I guess) cause ablative armour to ablate. It can, however, still damage you inside your armour.

Pretty straightforward, really.

cheers, Mark

Must buy it with NND (Arcane Shield)' date=' Does BODY then.[/quote']

Not necessarily.

3d6 NND vs 6 DEF on average does 11 (average roll) - 0 (for the NND) = 11 STUN and 3 BODY (assuming it does BODY).

3d6 EB, does not affect inanimate objects vs 6 DEF on average does 11 (average roll) - 6 DEF = 5 STUN and 0 BODY. The armor takes no damage even if it's ablative, or if it's a Forcewall or Entangle.