Hero is TK projection of kid in coma

Korvar

I'm starting up a new game, and one of the character conceptions is rather interesting - the character is a kid who has been put into a coma by the car bomb that killed his parents; the hero is a telekinetic projection of this kid's latent psionic powers.

I'll be putting the characters together (they're new Hero players), and I was wondering what thoughts the Hero collective might have on how to actually model this one.

My first thoughts are to have the coma-kid as a DNPC, with the Projection being the character, but I was wondering if anyone else had any good ideas.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero is TK projection of kid in coma

Having the child does seem to be a good solution, maybe also having adding

Social Limitation: Harmful Secret (Frequently, Severe) to represent that he is just a projection.

Another way to model this is to build the child with a summon. Something like:

49 My Hero Self: Summon 350-point My Hero Self, Difficult To Dispel (x2 Active Points; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (122 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (The child must be Unconscious before my hero self appears, cannot wake up so long as My Hero Self is Summoned; -1 1/2)

- - -

The concept as a whole could lead to a lot of fun. Exploring things like does the child experience what the hero is doing maybe as a dream? When he wakes up what happens to the hero, especially if he develops his own relationships while the child is unconscious? If the child does not wake up, and the campaign lasts long enough what happens to the as the child's brain deteriorate?

Another way to create the power would be to use Duplication this would allow for an easier transfer of experiences when they reformed (the child waking up?)

The biggest question that needs to be answered up front is whether or not the kid can ever wake up from the coma and have direct control of his newfound abilities.

If not than it's just a sfx and the 'hero' can be built as normal.

If yes, then duplication as part of a big multipower or VPP might be the way to go.

One of my players had a similar idea (4th), she was built as a normal character with a few odd disadvantages: DNPC - Her Living Body. Dependance - She still had to inhabit it from time to time. Plus some of her abilities (Like Recovery) were build with the Lim. only while in body (Non-Hero ID)

I'd build the TK projection as the character, include coma kid as a DNPC. Give the character/projection ressurection with the cannot return clause being coma kid is dead or awake. You can slap on a few other disads, Physical limit killed if kid dies or wakes up kind of thing and you're good to go.

the hero is a telekinetic projection of this kid's latent psionic powers.

I was wondering if anyone else had any good ideas.

I did a similar concept before (Captain Hero & Jeremy), except the kid was not in a coma, and accompanied his projection around.

In the case you describe, I would also tend to create the projection as the hero with the kid as a DNPC.

Captain Hero had some Physical and Psychological Limitations to reflect that he was being driven by the mind of a 9-year-old. (i.e. He once did a presence attack of, "Stop doing bad!")

Captain Hero also had distinctive features to reflect that he was a child's idealized version of a superhero. He never got dirty. His cape billowed in the breeze, regardless of the actual wind conditions or direction. His teeth even sparkled when he smiled.

Neither Captain Hero nor Jeremy had any type of investigative powers, so I gave Jeremy enough Danger Sense so he could find bad things happening in his nearby vicinity.

Build it like a normal character. If the hero can come back time after time even if he's blown to bits, give the hero regeneration with only after death or something. Give him a DNPC: The Kid. and a Physical Limitation: Ceases to Exist immediately if DNPC is killed.

=)

Build the character as normal.

DNPC: Kid in coma.

Healing: Regeneration, Resurrection. The way to stop the resurrection is to kill the kid in the coma.

And that's all you need.

I wouldn't allow the physical limitation, as it is already required as part of the self-resurrection power.

That's your opinion' date=' I see things differently.[/quote']

Well, according to:

page 188 ■ Character Creation: Powers Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

A character buying Resurrection Healing must define a reasonably common way to prevent Resurrection from working (such as a stake through the heart, severing the head, burning the corpse, or the like); he cannot use the Does Not Work On Some Damage Limitation (see below) to simulate this effect.

So, what condition would you set for the Resurrection ability that is different than the one being described as a Disadvantage?

Well, according to:

page 188 ■ Character Creation: Powers Hero System 5th Edition, Revised

So, what condition would you set for the Resurrection ability that is different than the one being described as a Disadvantage?

The Physical Limitation means he dies automatically if the kid is killed. The Resurrection stop condition alone just means, if the kid dies, he (the hero) can't Regeneration if he is kill thereafter. As I said, the Physical Limitation is valid.

Yeah, if he didn't have the Phys Lim, if the kid dies, the projection is still able to act, but won't be able to regenerate if it gets killed. The projection should die when the kid does...

Thanks for all the comments, it's been really helpful!

Build the character as normal.

DNPC: Kid in coma.

Healing: Regeneration, Resurrection. The way to stop the resurrection is to kill the kid in the coma.

And that's all you need.

I wouldn't allow the physical limitation, as it is already required as part of the self-resurrection power.

I don't know if I'd buy DNPC for the kid; if the super is bought as a duplicate off the kid, then the kid is, technically, a PC. A PC in a 0 END, Persistent Vegetative state, but a PC nonetheless.

I don't know if I'd buy DNPC for the kid; if the super is bought as a duplicate off the kid' date=' then the kid is, technically, a PC. A PC in a 0 END, Persistent Vegetative state, but a PC nonetheless.[/quote']

Given that Hero is based on "what is the effect", I don't see any point having a PC that can do absolutely nothing.

Really, there's no difference between this character concept and "I have my soul in a jar. So long as the jar is intact, I can act and can't be killed. However, if the jar is destroyed, I die." I wouldn't model the jar as a PC...

However, if the kid wakes up, then yeah, that's a Radiation Accident and things have to be changed.

I don't know if I'd buy DNPC for the kid; if the super is bought as a duplicate off the kid' date=' then the kid is, technically, a PC. A PC in a 0 END, Persistent Vegetative state, but a PC nonetheless.[/quote']

Arkham wasn't positing the use of the Power Duplication. So mechanically the super isn't bought as a Duplicate.

Arkham was working on the theory that the kid is barely a character at all, but more of a plot hook of something that the actual character would want and need to protect from harm.

Arkham wasn't positing the use of the Power Duplication. So mechanically the super isn't bought as a Duplicate.

Arkham was working on the theory that the kid is barely a character at all, but more of a plot hook of something that the actual character would want and need to protect from harm.

I think this outlines the main problem with developing the character. Does anyone know what the player wants? Do they intend for the child to be a peripheral to the main hero and not of any real significance? Do they see the child as a plot device to be wheeled out from time to time? Or is this something the player wants explore and develop? I think finding out the answer here would go a long way in determining if the child is a Special Effect, DNPC or full PC with a Telekinetic power (or multi-power) to include creating the "Hero."

I think this outlines the main problem with developing the character. Does anyone know what the player wants? Do they intend for the child to be a peripheral to the main hero and not of any real significance? Do they see the child as a plot device to be wheeled out from time to time? Or is this something the player wants explore and develop? I think finding out the answer here would go a long way in determining if the child is a Special Effect' date=' DNPC or full PC with a Telekinetic power (or multi-power) to include creating the "Hero."[/quote']

Those are good questions, and I shall ask them of the player :)