Favorite 60-point Power Construction

Mr. Gridlock

Re: Favorite 60-point Power Construction

Singing Stars: These shuriken-like throwing weapons contain small but powerful motors which give the stars tremendous rotational velocity, greatly enhancing their effective range and allowing them to penetrate most forms of protective armor. The motors produce a high-pitched whine which inspired the weapon's name.

Singing Stars come in two varieties. Small stars (about 3" in diameter) can be hurled up to three at once, at one or multiple targets. Large stars (4" across) have variable gyroscopic stabilizers allowing for "trick throws," such as over or around barriers or even arcing back to strike targets from behind.

Small Stars: RKA 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 24 Charges (+1/4) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 30 points.

Large Stars: RKA 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Indirect (always originates with character, but can attack from any angle; +1/2), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 30 points.

(Non-Lethal Variant: Change the RKA to 6d6 Normal Damage, and Penetrating to Armor Piercing. These could be blunt-edged throwing discs - "Dirge Discs?" ;) )

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a more important sense were chosen that might be true. The character could also just have 10 points of Flash Defense for that sense as well. In the case of the Touch Sense Group I don't think it's really necessary one way or another as the Flash and it's normal effects are not the goal of the build. The 16" average base Knockback is (which the character using the power can just Brace Vs. KB).

Although legal, I don't like the construct myself: it doesn't make sense that a power like touch flash could knock someone back - it feels like a meta-manipulation; as you say the flash is nott he point, the KB is.

That aside, the KB on self is a problem IMO: first off bracing against KB is a half phase action that halves DCV. Second, even a 60 STR character can only reduce KB by 12", which means you could quite easily take some KB (on an above average flash damage roll, or a low KB roll) - and if you take any the brace KBR is ignored, so you really would go flying. PI is a much safer bet, even though it ups the cost.

Large Stars: RKA 2d6, Penetrating (+1/2), Indirect (always originates with character, but can attack from any angle; +1/2), 16 Charges (+0) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1). Total cost: 30 points.

I have always been a fan of Indirect attacks. I created a micro-missile for an armored character that swapped One Hex AoE for Penetrating.

Although legal, I don't like the construct myself: it doesn't make sense that a power like touch flash could knock someone back - it feels like a meta-manipulation; as you say the flash is nott he point, the KB is.

That aside, the KB on self is a problem IMO: first off bracing against KB is a half phase action that halves DCV. Second, even a 60 STR character can only reduce KB by 12", which means you could quite easily take some KB (on an above average flash damage roll, or a low KB roll) - and if you take any the brace KBR is ignored, so you really would go flying. PI is a much safer bet, even though it ups the cost.

Or, as CTaylor pointed out, you could just change the AOE Radius to AOE Cone. Then the power's owner is unaffected.

Or' date=' as CTaylor pointed out, you could just change the AOE Radius to AOE Cone. Then the power's owner is unaffected.[/quote']

Cone would do it:) but costs more - you can only get 6 1/2 dice in 60 points, which is not likely to be much more KB than a normal EB. You could do a hex for 8d6.

Cone would do it:) but costs more - you can only get 6 1/2 dice in 60 points' date=' which is not likely to be much more KB than a normal EB. You could do a hex for 8d6.[/quote']

There is something called Explosion Cone as well.

30 Hand Clap! v2: Touch Group Flash 8d6, Does Knockback (+1/4), Explosion (Cone; -1 DC/2"; +1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Restrainable (Claps Hands; -1/2) - END=6

My favorite power is variations of the following (For instance my last character with this power had it designed as an arrow)

KO Gas: 3d6 EB, Explosion (+1/2), NND (+1), continous (+1), Sticky (+1/2), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 min each (+0), OIF: Gas Grenade Bag (-1/2), Range Based on Str (-1/4)...60 active, 27 real points

One of my favorites, at only 46 Active Points.

Imaginative Reconstruction AKA "CSI Flashbacks" AKA "Superslueth"

Note: This is Retrocognition (psychic power or just the workings of a brilliant subconscious mind?) that allows the character to percieve the events that led to the evidence he is looking at or has looked at recently; crime scene, body, weapon or tool that was used, etc. It may hit him while actively thinking about it, in meditation, or even while doing something else. Make the Meditation roll at -2 and then roll <= 14 each phase to continue, up to 3 phases.

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Rapid (x100): +2 (46 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (Sees 5 minutes of "replay" in 1 phase; -1), 3 Recoverable Charges (To recover charges, must examine evidence or actively pursue a case, and must make a skill roll on any "detective" type skill; -3/4), Blackout (Ceases to pay attention to environment; -1/2), Vague and Unclear (Won't solve the crime for him; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Must see the evidence (during or before trance) Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Meditation ; -1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

Real Cost 6

Lucius Alexander

"Nobody builds walls ten feet thick!" exclaims the palindromedary, flashing back to a Judge Dee movie.

Here are a few I've used with Characters:

Okay, first the near misses on the 60 Mark:

Lights Out: Energy Blast 4d6, Indirect (Same origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/4), Area Of Effect (48" Radius; +2) (65 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (Only verses light sources; -1 1/2), No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4)

Cost 65

- - -

Undo Fate’s subversion : Luck 10d6, Usable By Other (+1/4) (62 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Notes: Undo Fate’s subversion uses the following variant for Luck: At the beginning of the game session, the player rolls his Luck dice and counts the total. That total represents a number of points the player may add or subtract from rolls throughout the game to get better results.

Note 2: Ensi'Ki cannot use this ability on the same phase as other powers from the Scales of Balance (Part of a Multipower)

Cost 62

- - -

Will of the City: Ego Attack 3d6, Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot harm innocents. ; +0), Does BODY (+1) (60 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Cannot kill a target unless they have killed. ; -1/4), Conditional Power Power does not work in Uncommon Circumstances (Character must be in an urban area; -1/4), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; Streetwise; -1/4)

Cost 60

- - -

Death Touch: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), No Normal Defense ([standard]; +1), Does BODY (+1) (45 Active Points)

Notes: Defense non-human physiology.

Cost 45

Those who oppose me are weaklings: Drain STR 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Sticky (+1/2), Cumulative (56 points; +1 1/4), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +1 1/2) (58 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity (once per Month; window remains open for 1 Day; -2), Visible (Glowing Aura; -1/4)

This one's fun for villains. Of course, you can change or get rid of the Window of Opportunity.

Not sure if this is built correctly, but I saw something like this suggested once, and it almost makes the 60 point limit (err, after Limitations, that is)...

Protection from harm: (Total: 80 Active Cost, 62 Real Cost) Aid PD 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (20 Active Points); Linked (ED; -1/2), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Aid ED 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (20 Active Points); Linked (PD; -1/2), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11) plus Minor Transform 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (DEF into rDEF, Standard Healing Fade Time.) (Real Cost: 40)

This one came in handy throughout an entire campaign:

Invisibility; Mental Group; No Fringe; 0-END; Persistent; Inherent; Always On. (45 Active Points, 30 Real Points)

And yes, through the life of it that Always On did cause some issues.

I can believe it.

"Psi Man, our team mate Ghost Angel is missing! Can you use your famous mighty mental powers to help us find him?"

"Actually.....no."

Lucius Alexander

Invisibility to Palindromedary Senses

Not in any abusive way' date=' but what's your favorite 60 Active Point power construction?[/quote']

Eduston's Prime Trump
: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (55 Active Points)

It's invulnerable armor built as EDM. :eek: Mind you, the character will have to buy Transdimensional on all his attacks and Clairsentience to see what's going on around him. :rolleyes:

Eduston's Prime Trump
: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension, Any Location corresponding to current physical location), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (55 Active Points)

It's invulnerable armor built as EDM. :eek: Mind you, the character will have to buy Transdimensional on all his attacks and Clairsentience to see what's going on around him. :rolleyes:

And is vulnerable to attacks in that dimension, or Transdimensional.

Lucius Alexander

Trance Dimensional Palindromedary

And is vulnerable to attacks in that dimension' date=' or Transdimensional.[/quote']

It was defined as a pocket dimension, and he was the only one in it. You're right about transdimensional attacks, though. This was for a Fantasy Hero villain in a campaign that never got off the ground, so the shortcomings could be worked around until his role was finished.

This one came in handy throughout an entire campaign:

Invisibility; Mental Group; No Fringe; 0-END; Persistent; Inherent; Always On. (45 Active Points, 30 Real Points)

And yes, through the life of it that Always On did cause some issues.

I can believe it.

"Psi Man, our team mate Ghost Angel is missing! Can you use your famous mighty mental powers to help us find him?"

"Actually.....no."

Lucius Alexander

Invisibility to Palindromedary Senses

I'm in a campaign now (Until the Worlds Collide on HC) where I'm seriously considering taking something similar to this. Don't think it'd be 'no fringe' -- might actually be 'bright fringe' -- but it's mainly so that I wouldn't get assassinated by the BOECV RKA Mentalist (sorry, Kyper) before I could ... well, you know. Kill the President, if it came down to it.

(Hey, Kièrshia -- based off Riddick -- is a very not-nice guy...)

I'm in a campaign now (Until the Worlds Collide on HC) where I'm seriously considering taking something similar to this. Don't think it'd be 'no fringe' -- might actually be 'bright fringe' -- but it's mainly so that I wouldn't get assassinated by the BOECV RKA Mentalist (sorry, Kyper) before I could ... well, you know. Kill the President, if it came down to it.

Invisibility vs. the Mental Group doesn't do what you think.

From the FAQ:

What effects does having Invisibility to the Mental Sense Group have? Does it hide a character from Mind Scan or Telepathy? Can the character still use Telepathy to send and receive thoughts, Mind Scan to search for minds, and so forth?

Invisibility to the Mental Sense Group hides the character from Mental Group senses. That includes Mind Scan (see 5ER 160). It generally doesn’t matter against Telepathy, since that requires LOS — if the mentalist can see you, he can use his Telepathy on you, since Telepathy isn’t a Mental Sense Group sense (even though it has sense-like aspects).

A character with Invisibility to the Mental Sense Group can still use Mind Scan, Telepathy, or any other Mental Power — but his Invisibility doesn’t hide those powers from people who can perceive Mental Powers.

One of my favorites, at only 46 Active Points.

Imaginative Reconstruction AKA "CSI Flashbacks" AKA "Superslueth"

Note: This is Retrocognition (psychic power or just the workings of a brilliant subconscious mind?) that allows the character to percieve the events that led to the evidence he is looking at or has looked at recently; crime scene, body, weapon or tool that was used, etc. It may hit him while actively thinking about it, in meditation, or even while doing something else. Make the Meditation roll at -2 and then roll <= 14 each phase to continue, up to 3 phases.

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Rapid (x100): +2 (46 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (Sees 5 minutes of "replay" in 1 phase; -1), 3 Recoverable Charges (To recover charges, must examine evidence or actively pursue a case, and must make a skill roll on any "detective" type skill; -3/4), Blackout (Ceases to pay attention to environment; -1/2), Vague and Unclear (Won't solve the crime for him; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Must see the evidence (during or before trance) Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Meditation ; -1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

Real Cost 6

Lucius Alexander

"Nobody builds walls ten feet thick!" exclaims the palindromedary, flashing back to a Judge Dee movie.

Nice! Would also be good for Agent Smecker from Boondock Saints

Mine was coupled with a seriously huge Invisibility power that covered EVERYTHING.

The campaign in question involved cross-dimensions, it was also a base assumption that ones Soul was actually a kind of sub-dimension inside the persons subconscious being - Can't find the mind, can't find the soul.

I quite like this one:

Ghost Twin Dodge: 60 active, 34 real

Desolidification , Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Half Phase Action to reset; Trigger is about to be hurt; +1/2) (60 Active Points); Requires A DEX Roll (RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests, No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -3/4)

It is the thing from the second Matrix film where the pale twin sword guys kept fading out. It is far from infallible: it has a Dex v Dex trigger and requires a half phase to reset, but it is useful if it keeps you alive, and, even if it activates before you attack on a given phase, you can switch off the desolid to attack - but you are not protected then until you reset it again. If you want to spike it more, add 'instant' (reduces cost to 27 real) which means you just fade long enough to avoid a single attack, per phase at most, and can not remain desolid.

Invisibility vs. the Mental Group doesn't do what you think.

I don't want it for what you think.

(See how irritating that is?)

What I want it for is so that Kièrshia can't be targeted with mental powers if he can't be seen; IIRC, mental powers, like every other, can be targeted using any Targeting Sense you may have. With most people, that's Sight; with psychics, that includes Mind Scan, which is exactly why I want it. I don't want to get smacked by a mind-dagger out of the frickin' blue because they might've detected a bad thought, or just because they felt like it; I want to be able to see their face if I've got it coming, and be able to dodge.

So yeah, it does exactly what I think.

Which makes me wonder -- do you still use ECV to hit if you're using sight to target (like I suspect), or would it be an OCV/DCV thing?

...do you still use ECV to hit if you're using sight to target (like I suspect)..

I believe that is correct.

I did not think that adding the BOECV Advantage to a power qualified it for use with Mind Scan (but I was wrong*).

*not the first or the last time.

:D