Like a Multiform... but not?

GoldenAge

I have a new player that wants to build a Native American who relies on animal totems for different power sets. (Very similar to the 1980's Filmation animated cartoon hero... Marshal BraveStarr, but a bit more complex).

Originally, I envisioned a character that would transform into various different "ware" versions of the totems. For instance he would become a clone of Marvel's Puma when invoking the spirits of his puma totem and a clone of Marvel's Ursa Major when calling upon the power of his bear totem... etc,etc,etc.... A classic use of Multiform, easily constructed. But then it got a little more complicated...

It turns out he wanted to remain totally human at all times. In addition he didn't want the totems to affect his personality or his standard skills/perks/talents/powers. Each totem would essentially grant him a new power set to be added on top of his normal stats, skills and powers. Kind of like having a Multipower full of Elemental Controls (yah, I know).

So, I don't think this concept is too far reaching. I actually like it. But how do I build a character that can choose from several independent, segregated and totally separate ECs without spending 1000 points? Oh, the character has a starting level of ≈ 375 Points.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Re: Like a Multiform... but not?

Multiform doesn't _have_ to change your appearance, skills or personality. So that is indeed still an option.

Alternately a VPP for Animal Powers is easily doable.

Or even just a Multipower with a slot, or variable slots depending on the animal.

What kind of powers does he want to use?

A multipower with Armor, Str, HTH, Flight, Dex, Running, Life support, and maybe an NND for a poison attack pretty much covers the basics of animal powers without requiring changes in form. If the pool is big enough and you use Multi slots instead of Ultra slots, then pretty much everything is covered.

I think I might be able to help you with this. When Shiva and I were working on building The Alternates team we had a reserve member who was going to be called Totem who was almost exactly what you're trying to build here.

What I came up with instead of doing the multiform route we would buy a MP with each slot would be one of the animal forms. For example, one slot with some density and growth and a little bit armor would be for Bear, while one slot with flight and some enhanced perception for Eagle. We never got around to actually writing him up but you can do a pretty competent character and do your enhancements that way with no change of shape per say.

Another way of doing it would be to check out which animal for would cost you the most and then buy some sort of VPP for animal shape only. I don't think that would be the cheapest way to do it but again I never number crunched it.

Either way you go please let me know when you get it done. I'd love to take a look at it and maybe use it later on! :thumbup:

I dunno man, I think I could try this by building a good ole Multi power

Totem Powers! Multi (62)

Bear totem! + 30 STR REnd>0, No Fig, + 5 Def Armor

Wolf totem! = 6" Running REnd>0 Tracking and Dicrim for smell group, etc.....

Its not totally "book legal" because of all the stuff in the slots, but hey "Who cares?" or, leave some things outside, because most any totem adds it in (like senses, or LS's)

I'm not sure why, but I though each multiform needed to be distinctly different. Perhaps I read "must" where it read "may" or something like that.

Since the characters skills will also change (Perks and Talents too) I think the Multiform is a better way to do this than cleverly combining many separate powers into a single power and slotting it into a Multipower. (interesting idea though :) )

I'm not sure why, but I though each multiform needed to be distinctly different. Perhaps I read "must" where it read "may" or something like that.

Since the characters skills will also change (Perks and Talents too) I think the Multiform is a better way to do this than cleverly combining many separate powers into a single power and slotting it into a Multipower. (interesting idea though :) )

Yeah if thinks like perq.s are involved then Multiform is what you're looking at...but you can build a decent Totem power set with a Multi-power.

A thought experiment: Instead of totems, imagine that they are technological. Specifically, they are powered armor(s) in various configurations.

It resembles almost exactly one of the example powers from FREd.

It'll take a little bit of writing, but the build is pretty straightforward.

Best regards

So basically, he wants Vixen's powerset.

VPP or Multipower, depending on flexibility. If he wants only a few set forms, put the various power arrays in compound power ultra slots in the multipower pool. If he wants a truly vast number of forms, or if he wants the option of coming up with new ones on the fly, limited variable pool.

Here's an example of a multipower construct (sorry about the formatting, I pulled it off of HD and I'm not in the mood right now to experiment to find the right export format):

50 Totem Spirits: Multipower, 50-point reserve

4u 1) Spirit of the Bear: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 42 Real Cost) Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (Real Cost: 18) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 17) plus Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points) (Real Cost: 7) 1

4u 2) Spirit of the Eagle: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 44 Real Cost) Flight 12" (Real Cost: 24) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 6) plus +4 PER with Sight Group (Real Cost: 8) plus +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) 2

4u 3) Spirit of the Jaguar: (Total: 46 Active Cost, 43 Real Cost) +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Leaping +6" (2"/8" forward, 1"/4" upward) (Real Cost: 6) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (31 Active Points) (Real Cost: 31) 4

4u 4) Spirit of the Snake: (Total: 49 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) Lightning Reflexes: +6 DEX to act first with All Actions (Real Cost: 9) plus Drain STUN 4d6 (40 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4) (Real Cost: 32) 4

4u 5) Spirit of the Wolf: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) Running +6" (6"/12" total) (Real Cost: 12) plus Discriminatory with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus +3 PER with all Sense Groups (Real Cost: 9) plus +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only to make fear-based PRE attacks (-1 1/2), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) 1

The bear totem makes him stronger, tougher, and heavier. The eagle totem gives him flight and incredible vision. The jaguar totem gives him claws and enough leaping to make a good pounce with 'em. The snake totem gives him incredible reflexes and a venom attack. The wolf totem gives him ground speed, enhanced smell and alertness, and a howl attack that causes fear. The wolf, jaguar, and eagle totems also boost agility somewhat.

That should be a rough basis for making your own construct.

So basically' date=' he wants Vixen's powerset.

VPP or Multipower, depending on flexibility. If he wants only a few set forms, put the various power arrays in compound power ultra slots in the multipower pool. If he wants a truly vast number of forms, or if he wants the option of coming up with new ones on the fly, limited variable pool.

Here's an example of a multipower construct (sorry about the formatting, I pulled it off of HD and I'm not in the mood right now to experiment to find the right export format):

50 Totem Spirits: Multipower, 50-point reserve

4u 1) Spirit of the Bear: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 42 Real Cost) Armor (6 PD/6 ED) (Real Cost: 18) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 17) plus Density Increase (200 kg mass, +5 STR, +1 PD/ED, -1" KB), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (7 Active Points) (Real Cost: 7) 1

4u 2) Spirit of the Eagle: (Total: 47 Active Cost, 44 Real Cost) Flight 12" (Real Cost: 24) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 6) plus +4 PER with Sight Group (Real Cost: 8) plus +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) 2

4u 3) Spirit of the Jaguar: (Total: 46 Active Cost, 43 Real Cost) +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Leaping +6" (2"/8" forward, 1"/4" upward) (Real Cost: 6) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1 (2d6 w/STR), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (31 Active Points) (Real Cost: 31) 4

4u 4) Spirit of the Snake: (Total: 49 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) Lightning Reflexes: +6 DEX to act first with All Actions (Real Cost: 9) plus Drain STUN 4d6 (40 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1/4) (Real Cost: 32) 4

4u 5) Spirit of the Wolf: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 41 Real Cost) Running +6" (6"/12" total) (Real Cost: 12) plus Discriminatory with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus Tracking with Normal Smell (Real Cost: 5) plus +3 PER with all Sense Groups (Real Cost: 9) plus +3 DEX (9 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only to make fear-based PRE attacks (-1 1/2), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 4) 1

The bear totem makes him stronger, tougher, and heavier. The eagle totem gives him flight and incredible vision. The jaguar totem gives him claws and enough leaping to make a good pounce with 'em. The snake totem gives him incredible reflexes and a venom attack. The wolf totem gives him ground speed, enhanced smell and alertness, and a howl attack that causes fear. The wolf, jaguar, and eagle totems also boost agility somewhat.

That should be a rough basis for making your own construct.

Doy, I should have immediately recognized that this was a Vixen (or Animal Man) knock off!!! :stupid:

Thanks!

This build is good, but I'm still drawn to the Multiform construct since it allows for different Skills/Perks/Talents to be added to the power list without breaking the rules.

Any other ideas?

Have your perks with the limitation Only in Certain form.

Then buy empty skills, that all cost the same amount of points and say as a GM rule that when the player is in form X the skill is acrobatics and when he is in form Y it's a knowledge skill etc.

Gonna need a little work but it can be done that way.

This build is good' date=' but I'm still drawn to the Multiform construct since it allows for different Skills/Perks/Talents to be added to the power list without breaking the rules.[/quote']

That's a pretty dumb rule, especially since I'm pretty sure there already exist published characters that specifically break it. This is the simplest solution. I mean, look at how elegant it is! It's freakin' tea an' crumpets it is!

This build is good, but I'm still drawn to the Multiform construct since it allows for different Skills/Perks/Talents to be added to the power list without breaking the rules.

It wouldn't break the rules, since the rules dictate it only cannot be done without GM Permission. With GM Permission, its just fine.

It wouldn't break the rules' date=' since the rules dictate it only cannot be done without GM Permission. With GM Permission, its just fine.[/quote']

Skills and Perks are the only GM permission issues.

Talents are not an issue since they can all be built using powers anyway.

Here's the Vixen-like character multipower that I came up with:

52 Animal Shift: Multipower, 65-point reserve, (65 Active Points); Visible (-¼)

Notes: A Spirit form of the animal called apon can be seen when the slots of the multipower are switched, telling everyone what power is in use.

3u 1) Animal Mastery: Mind Control 8d6 (Animal class of minds), Telepathic (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (60 Active Points); Limited Class Of Minds Non-Aquatic (-½), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-¼) 2

1u 2) Ape's Strength: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-½), Lockout (-½)

4u 3) Cheetah's Speed: (Total: 48 Active Cost, 42 Real Cost) +6 DEX (18 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-½) (Real Cost: 12) plus Running 15" (Real Cost: 30) 3

4u 4) Rhino's Charge: (Total: 65 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Force Field (13 PD) (13 Active Points); Only vs Move-Through/by Damage (-1) (Real Cost: 6) plus +30 STR (30 Active Points); Only For Damage with Move-Through/By (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-½) (Real Cost: 12) plus Running 11" (Real Cost: 22) 6

1u 5) Condor's Flight: Gliding 20" (20 Active Points); Lockout (-½)

2u 6) Python's Grip: +40 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (60 Active Points); Only for Grabs and Sqeeze (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-½)

1u 7) Lion's Roar: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Only for Fear Effects (-½), Lockout (-½)

1u 8) Lizard's Healing: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Persistent (+½) (30 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 ¼), Lockout (-½)

5u 9) Crocodile's Body: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 55 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Costs END Only To Activate (+¼), Damage Shield (Offensive; +¾), Continuous (+1) (45 Active Points) (Real Cost: 45) plus Swimming 10" (Real Cost: 10) 5

4u 10) Tiger's Limbs: (Total: 52 Active Cost, 45 Real Cost) +10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-½) (Real Cost: 10) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (22 Active Points) (Real Cost: 22) plus Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-¼) (Real Cost: 8) plus Leaping 5" (Real Cost: 5) 1

He can only use 1 power at a time. The ones with lockout have Active Points low enough that another power could be used in the Multipower at the same time. The ones without Lockout have active points so high, that no other power could be used at the same time anyway, so Lockout would be a limitation that didn't limit.

EDIT: Man I'm having a hard time making this post. This is like the 5th time I've had to edit the darn thing.