Giant Snake Fossil Found

shadowcat1313

Re: Giant Snake Fossil Found

"This thing weighs more than a bison and is longer than a city bus," enthused snake expert Jack Conrad of the American Museum of Natural History in New York, who was familiar with the find.

"It could easily eat something the size of a cow. A human would just be toast immediately."

"If it tried to enter my office to eat me, it would have a hard time squeezing through the door," reckoned paleontologist Jason Head of the University of Toronto Missisauga.

You gotta love academics who think of things like this, and moreover, think they're cool. :cool:

uhmm... dont forget a lot of species of boas and other snakes can climb trees...

something this big might just climb the tree to get at the tasty treats at the top

Nah, it would weigh too much to climb very high before the tree branches gave way. The proto-hominids would just have to choose a thick enough tree that the snake couldn't topple it outright.

You have to love peleontologists:

While related to modern boa constrictors, it behaved more like an anaconda and spent almost all its time in the water, Head said. It could slither on land as well as swim.
Gee, that's pretty confident talk from someone who just found a few bones. What color was it and did it like long walks on the beach too?

I've said it before' date=' I'll say it again: I'm grateful that so many of the really big, nasty things went extinct before my ancestors came down from the trees.[/quote']

And I've said before - a lot of them became extinct because your ancestors came out of the trees to extinguish them....

But we can't blame our own family for this one. These guys went extinct before we discovered tools and fire!

Lucius Alexander

And domesticated the palindromedary

But we can't blame our own family for this one. These guys went extinct before we discovered tools and fire!

I never thought I'd say this to you, Lucius, but you lack faith and imagination on this! Give a few extremist wingnuts time, and I'm sure they can find a way to blame this on us!

A herpetologist's wet dream!
Though nobody's saying what it's wet from....
Here's the article from Nature Magazine's website:

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090204/full/news.2009.80.html

That's the original the before-cited article is based on. Oh, and it's got an "artist's reconstruction" painting. :thumbup:

Those artists move fast, don't they? ;)

This entire Giant Snake thing keeps me thinking of the 'BC' comic strip. Specifically, the 'Fat Broad' (AFAIK she has no other name in the strip) and her tendency to repeatedly club snakes on sight (notably the 'Snake' character). Gotta wonder about her reaction if ever faced with something like this.

You have to love peleontologists:Gee' date=' that's pretty confident talk from someone who just found a few bones. What color was it and did it like long walks on the beach too?[/quote']

Short version, you can tell a lot about a fossil critter based on what the rocks and the other fossils therein show you.

The context in which it was found strongly indicates that it lived in the same kind of environment and niche as anacondas, while the anatomical features of the skeleton indicate that it was more closely related to modern boa constrictors.

This entire Giant Snake thing keeps me thinking of the 'BC' comic strip. Specifically' date=' the 'Fat Broad' (AFAIK she has no other name in the strip) and her tendency to repeatedly club snakes on sight (notably the 'Snake' character). Gotta wonder about her reaction if ever faced with something like this.[/quote']

She'd probably be reacting as a Fat Broad-shaped outline inside the snake's belly. Poetic Justice at work. :snicker:

The context in which it was found strongly indicates that it lived in the same kind of environment and niche as anacondas, while the anatomical features of the skeleton indicate that it was more closely related to modern boa constrictors.

The boa part is pretty obvious, that's just physiognamy. They lack large portions of the snake (such as the most important part: the skull) but they can make a fairly educated, accurate guess based on the spine and some ribs.

The "aquatic" part is just guess. Just because you find a snake skeleton or two in rock that was probably underwater doesn't mean that the snake lived or hunted there, any more than finding lots of skeletons in a tar pit means they lived and hunted there either.

I just am sick of scientists making bold, unsubstantiated guesses stated as absolute fact and then Discovery channel creating huge fantasies about how they lived and interacted and looked... all based on incomplete, squashed, and scattered fossils. That's just bad science, stick to what you know and can reasonably demonstrate, not what you guess, and by all means don't absolutely state the guesses as certain fact.

At least not in front of a reporter.