Utility Belts

Split Decision

If a detective/weapons master has a utility belt built as a multipower, what sort of active point cap would you likely put on it? And how many slots is too many?

Feel free to post your favorite ultility belt (whatever the build) here.

I get the feeling that 40 active points ought to be the most, and 15 slots is too many if it's a multipower. YMMV

Re: Utility Belts

If a detective/weapons master has a utility belt built as a multipower, what sort of active point cap would you likely put on it? And how many slots is too many?

I get the feeling that 40 active points ought to be the most, and 15 slots is too many if it's a multipower. YMMV

my standard was 20pts with as many slots as you care to spend. Utility belts are for that little bit of special pizzaz when a GM was frightened of a VPP.

The Utility Belt in my Dark Champions campaign is a 30-point reserve Multipower. I have 33 different gadgets that can be placed in the belt (slots in the multipower) and a house rule saying that you can only select 12 items before the belt's pouches are full. Of course characters are free to change out slots when at their base. We use the Equipment Pool rules from Dark Champions.

Unless it breaks whatever caps are there for my game, you can put whatever you want, and as many slots as you want, in your utility belt.

I see no reason to place additional, arbitrary limits on a Multipower merely because it's a 'utility belt' and not a power-armor weapons array or a suite of magic spells or whatever.

I generally use either a 30 or 60 AP multipower. Primarily the 60 pointer is so that more than one slot can be used at once, such as the Swingline + Billy Club, or Climbing Gloves + Cutting Torch. Only 3 of the 28 slots go over 30 points.

http://arkham.genesismuds.com/hero/Champions/Satire.HTML Check this guy for my version of a Utility Belt.

I generally use either a 30 or 60 AP multipower. Primarily the 60 pointer is so that more than one slot can be used at once' date=' ...[/quote']

This is also a hidden benefit of using a VPP with a 30 point pool.

As long as the individual slots are built with at least (-1) worth of Limitations, at least 2 can be used at the same time since their 'Real Point' totals will be 15 or less each.

It also depends on what item you plan to bring on the adventure. Carrying nearly 15 objects regardless on how small is a bit much.

Really?

A standard issue police belt carries 7 or 8 items, several of which are very bulky like pistols, batons and handset radios.

Adding some basic ALICE gear and 20-30 items is easily doable, even with rl technology and normal guy skills.

http://www.champions-online.com/rate_my_champion?champ=2816

It also depends on what item you plan to bring on the adventure. Carrying nearly 15 objects regardless on how small is a bit much.

While carrying all these items seems counterintuitive to me as well, it will be a rare adventure when someone uses more than 7 or 8. SFX: I only brought what I needed.

Penalizing specificity would lead in some cases to VPP abuse. I think.

Batman doesn't have any limits in what he has in his belt, why should you? :D

I don't think point caps or slot limits, by themselves, is the way to go. To me, it's all about the Long Mantra: Common sense and dramatic sense.

How's the U-belt made? What's the tech? How does it look? What fits the game? What's reasonable? What make for a good story?

Point caps and slot number limits aren't going to answer those Q's all on their own.

I don't think point caps or slot limits, by themselves, is the way to go. To me, it's the Steve Long Mantra: Common sense and dramatic sense.

How's the U-belt made? What's the tech? How does it look? What fits the game? What's reasonable? What make for a good story?

Point caps and slot number limits aren't going to answer those Q's all on their own.

I don't think point caps or slot limits' date=' [i']by themselves[/i], is the way to go. To me, it's the Steve Long Mantra: Common sense and dramatic sense.

Exactly my feeling. If you, as the GM, think the utility belt is getting out of hand, make the player justify it with a good backstory or explain how it all works. Rubber science ought to be sufficient.

I don't think point caps or slot limits' date=' [i']by themselves[/i], is the way to go. To me, it's the Steve Long Mantra: Common sense and dramatic sense.

Which is why we have the 12 item limit on a utility belt. I will let a character carry more than that, but if they do it will take a full phase or more to find the needed item. The 12 items can be carried on a utility belt and reached with much more ease than digging through a tangle of gear stuffed in a backpack.

I usually go with "weak"/ Minor is (30) up to 15 slots

Major/"strong' (a "main focus" for the char) is (45) with around 8 or so...

Exactly my feeling. If you' date=' as the GM, think the utility belt is getting out of hand, make the player justify it with a good backstory or explain how it all works. Rubber science ought to be sufficient.[/quote']

Yeah, it can go "boing" like a boing-y thing. ;)

Fact though, I was thinking more about opening it up than restricting it. But restricting is good, if it's for common or dramatic sense. Not to fit some number or set of numbers. YMMV. :)

Which is why we have the 12 item limit on a utility belt. I will let a character carry more than that' date=' but if they do it will take a full phase or more to find the needed item. The 12 items can be carried on a utility belt and reached with much more ease than digging through a tangle of gear stuffed in a backpack.[/quote']

OK, let me see if I understand: a character with a "utility belt" can have 12 items "ready to hand," can carry more (up to the limit of what's in the Multipower) in a backpack. He can use what's on the belt no problemo, but if he wants what's in the backpack he has to use up at least Full Phase to dig it out. He can change what's on belt back at the base.

Well, if that fits the dramatic sense of your champaign, it fits common sense IMO. IF his "utility belt" is a belt as such, and a kinda simple one, too.

I've always heard "utility belt" as a generic name. So even a tacvest, Sam Brown belt, BDU pants, and sown on extra pockets have been called a "utility belt." In that case, the GM agreed to 25 items, cause it made common sense, and fit the dramatic feel of the campaign. Mind you, in high pressure situations, if the player wanted to use something that wasn't used much, he had to roll his KS: What's Where (13-) skill. :eg:

While I agree to some extent with the 'common sense says you can't carry 50 items on a utility belt' idea, well, wouldn't limiting the number of slots available at a time be a limitation on the MP?

It seems to me like you're forcing a limitation on the character regardless of concept. Lord knows I could come up with several concepts that would logically be able to bypass a 'common sense' limitation on MP slots, including:

Atom (the DC character), who shrinks gear down to miniature size and enlarges it when he needs it...

A character with SS: Micro(whatever) Technology who just knows how to build it smaller or in a collapsable form...

You could have 50 slots but only 2 or 3 might get used and they are the 2 or 3 he brought with him especially for hyper-intelligent' date=' planned for just this eventuality Batman types.[/quote']

That's my thinking, too. Having all the slots available can be SFX for knowing exactly what will be useful on any particular mission. Didn't use the Bat-Shark-Repellant that day? Must have left it at home.