Supervillains and Philosophy

Zane_Marlowe

Re: Supervillains and Philosophy

@Balabanto: there is more interesting work on Dr. Doom in this book than you can shake a stick at, so you should find that rewarding.

Well, the guy is the fictional embodiment of man's attempts to use science and rationality to supplant God. It your can't rub a few philosophical sticks together about a guy like that, you aren't trying.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's Jack The Ripper, who's short but bloody career immediately made its mark onto the popular imagination--perhaps for all time. Heck, serial killers are the real-life equivalent of vampires--except I doubt they form underground communities like they do in books, TV shows, movies and RPGs.

err there may be the beggnnings of that according to some very scary police reports.

Jack is an overpublicised killer. Honestly his kill/time ratio isn't impressive.

err there may be the beggnnings of that according to some very scary police reports.

This is new to me. Elaborate, please?

Jack is an overpublicised killer. Honestly his kill/time ratio isn't impressive.

Perhaps not, compared to human monsters like Dahmer, Rifkin, Gacy and Gein. But as I said, at the time he captured the imagination like nothing else before--if for no other reason than he was never caught. Most of the time the public is unaware of a serial killer until his identity is uncovered--then they realize all those missing persons (assuming they were even aware of them) were actually his victims. But everyone knew about Jack's crimes as they happened, and no one was made to answer for them--which meant for a lot of people he was out there somewhere, waiting to strike again.

Or turn up in an episode of Star Trek.

This is new to me. Elaborate, please?

Perhaps not, compared to human monsters like Dahmer, Rifkin, Gacy and Gein. But as I said, at the time he captured the imagination like nothing else before--if for no other reason than he was never caught. Most of the time the public is unaware of a serial killer until his identity is uncovered--then they realize all those missing persons (assuming they were even aware of them) were actually his victims. But everyone knew about Jack's crimes as they happened, and no one was made to answer for them--which meant for a lot of people he was out there somewhere, waiting to strike again.

Or turn up in an episode of Star Trek.

Actually, it was Babylon 5.

I think one of the best examples of comic villain philosophy is the Order of the Stick's Xykon. Particularly at the close of prequel comic Start of Darkness, though some of the recent online comics about what makes a person powerful were also excellent.

You know, I'll confess that I don't think we had a really great essay on Lex Luthor, or on the Kingpin, or on any of the other "supernormal" type villains. I kind of think that might have something to do with the fact that for someone like the Kingpin, there are already books out there that study the mafia, or the ethical bounds of science and industry if it's Lex Luthor. I think those characters as specific characters deserve better, but as an editor, I'll tell you, much of the shape of the book depends on what submissions you get.

So has anyone read it yet? I actually geeked out a few days ago when I discovered the book on the shelves of a Borders recently. Seriously, this must be what Steve Long feels like every day of his life!

So has anyone read it yet? I actually geeked out a few days ago when I discovered the book on the shelves of a Borders recently. Seriously, this must be what Steve Long feels like every day of his life!

I'm currently reading the Superheroes one; will get to yours after I finish it.

• 2 months later...

...this looks interesting' date=' and I'll keep my eyes out for it.[/quote']

Same! It's a shame I didn't notice this thread originally.

When I looked at the page' date=' however, what REALLY caught my eye was the description of your doctoral thesis that you're working on! I'd love to hear more about if, if you want to shoot me an e-mail or somesuch.[/quote']

Same once again. This book and that thesis are definitely on my list of things to read.

--

So, anyone get a chance to read it yet? What did you think of it?

La Rose.

Amazon and Barnes and Noble now have reviews for the book, and I also found a little discussion in a blog called "Superhero Babylon." The Midwestern Book Review mentioned it briefly as well, though their review (just noticed) is one of those in the Amazon list. From what I can discern, people seem to be receiving it well, though not all topics interest everyone equally.

EDIT: Links added for teh bunneh

• 3 months later...

Another review of the book appeared at Pop Matters if anyone's interested. I just want to go on record as saying I endorse the idea of Leonard Cohen recording it as an audio book. Of course, if we get to just pick any names we like, I suppose I'd have to pick out either James Earl Jones or Hugo Weaving ahead of Cohen.