Mottos for use in games

matrix3

Re: Mottos for use in games

I think this belongs in "Quote of the Week" not in mottoes.

Ok fine fine fine!

W/o background:

I'm gonna pound ya flat, fold ya up, stick a stamp on ya, and mail ya ta jail!

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

In English?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We enter the circle at night and are consumed by fire.

But its the same if you write it backwards; something Romans though was witty.

I saw its a palindrome. Didn't know the Romans thought they're cool.

There's Dr. Venkman's (sp?) motto: No job too big, no fee too big.

Two ways of putting the same idea:

Better a dead lion than a living jackel.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Some Latin ones:

Aut Caesar aut nullus: Either Caesar or nobody.

Aut vincere aut mori: Either to conquer or to die.

Resurgam: I shall rise again.

Vincam aut moriar: I will conquer or die.

One from a game I was in, where one character tricked the others, so she could sacrifice herself and gain the upper hand for the rest of us:

Tell my tale around the fires.

In an altered form it became the motto for our group: "We have a tale to tell around your fires."

And it was something for our characters to all live up to.

Two ways of putting the same idea:

Better a dead lion than a living jackel.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Eagles may soar' date=' but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.[/quote']

OK, I'm gonna treat that as "a funny".

But it's not amusing and it's not heroic and don't get in a game with me or my friends because it's the opposite of heroic. If you're character is supposed to be a hero then living through the "triumph" of the Ultimate Bad Guy is less important than Being Good. And a weasel is a weasel is a weasel is a slimy little sneak who puts her or his life above Good.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I want to play someone who's on the side of GOOD ---if sometimes she has to work at it. ;)

Okay, now take a deep breath. No one is making you or your friends use that line in your game. Take another deep breath. Say “it’s only a game” repeatedly. Then scroll to the top of the page and realize you are in the Dark Champions thread. You know, DC, which includes espionage, spies, murderous vigilantes , et cetera. Take another deep breath…

Okay' date=' now take a deep breath. No one is making you or your friends use that line in your game. Take another deep breath. Say “it’s only a game” repeatedly. Then scroll to the top of the page and realize you are in the [i']Dark[/i] Champions thread. You know, DC, which includes espionage, spies, murderous vigilantes , et cetera. Take another deep breath…

And don't forget to keep on breathing. Breathing is always good.

Okay' date=' now take a deep breath. No one is making you or your friends use that line in your game. Take another deep breath. Say “it’s only a game” repeatedly. Then scroll to the top of the page and realize you are in the [i']Dark[/i] Champions thread. You know, DC, which includes espionage, spies, murderous vigilantes , et cetera. Take another deep breath…

Hm, to be fair, murdering is also a staple of Fantasy Hero too. People just tend to assume the morality of the situations to be much more clear than they generally are... but that's ok, because it fits Fantasy stereotypes!

And there's nothing unheroic about that statement in my mind. I view it as a cautionary note, something reminding our Hero that he doesn't need to be bold, brash, and ultimately recklessly stupid. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Look at Harry Dresden, for one.

Why are you telling me? I didn't go off about how un-heroic it was and stay away from my games et cetera...

Oh, I'm sorry. That was unclear.

The first part was sort of directed at you, the second was at Ms. Superior.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the value assumptions I'm picking up on about Dark Champions... and I'm rejecting them.

Aside, for Ms. Superior: there's lots of other mottos that I suggest are much more problematic from a "heroic" standpoint. Such as "Let them hate, so long as they fear."

I am not here to compromise nor to negotiate. I am' date=' here to kill you and nothing else matters.[/quote']

And my response would be "and yet, here you are talking to me."

Well, ok, not really. I'd be scared pretty much witless, I'm sure, but that'd pretty much be my character's response.

"That which does not kill us--does not get a second chance."

I've always liked this one, from Murphy's Laws Of Combat Operations--

"Anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing."

May not fit on the unit emblem, but it works well on a sign posted in the barracks or the training classroom.

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up with Trekkies for an aunt and uncle I always liked the Klingons. Their mantra/battle cry' date=' “Today is a good day to die” always stuck with me. Some people see it as nihilistic, but I see it more like the “live every day like it’s your last” sentiment (I know that’s an extremely optimistic view of the statement). As far as actual war is concerned it is a lot like the samurai mentality towards battle.[/quote']

I always preferred the version from Sky Marshal Omar Anoke's song 'A Good Day To Die' on the DVD of Starship Troopers 3: Marauder.

"It's a good day to die, when you know the reasons why!"

I always thought, people say that the Starship Troopers movies are about a tyrannical, extremist right-wing regime, but they sure seem quite moderate.