TV Teen Titans

Michael Hopcroft

Bats wouldn't have hired super mercs/ignorant Asian godlings and allow them to endanger the public like Slade has. Machiavellian as he is capable of being, he doesn't unnecesarily endanger people. Of course in the Justice League-Darkseid story he used the word Whacky which I didn't think him capable of either. IMHOP

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The currently popular theory on the mailing list is that Slade is actually Robin's biological father. That is potentially supported by the cut scene at the end of Apprentice when Slade's mask is broken and we see the outline of a hairstyle and color very similar to Robin's.

It's a pretty weak support among the other possibilities, though.

I don't think Slade is Bruce Wayne. Although the idea of Batman turning evil has a certain dramatic appeal (a man of Batman's capabilities and attitude would make a formidable villain), Batman is not nearly as rational as Slade is. One could even make a case that Batman is, in his own way, insane. Obsessive about "fighting crime" and compelled to put himself in danger to do it.

Robin comments how much he is turning out to be like Slade -- driven, almost obsessed. Slade brings out the Batman in Robin. You don't live under the same roof as Bruce Wayne for four to five years without some of his personal traits rubbing off on you.

The recent topic of disucssion on the lists (now that it's the off-season) is whether there is any chance of romance blossoming between Raven and Beast Boy. The general response is that it has a snowball's chance in Raven's mind dimension. But if opposites attract....

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

One could even make a case that Batman is, in his own way, insane. Obsessive about "fighting crime" and compelled to put himself in danger to do it.

And it's why we luv the Bat... ;)

One of my favorite Batman:tAS episodes is where Bruce has been doped up on the Scarecrow's fear gas, and decides to fight hallucination with his own personal borderline psychosis.

"I am not a failure. I am vengeance. I am the Night. I am BATMAN!"

And the amazing thing is, Conroy really pulled it off well!

As for the Robin thing, I agree. "The Shadow of the Bat" is more than merely reputation, Batman is such a powerful personality that those under his tuteleague can't help but be altered by it... for better or worse, usually, I think better.

Originally posted by Hermit

One of my favorite Batman:tAS episodes is where Bruce has been doped up on the Scarecrow's fear gas, and decides to fight hallucination with his own personal borderline psychosis.

As for the Robin thing, I agree. "The Shadow of the Bat" is more than merely reputation, Batman is such a powerful personality that those under his tuteleague can't help but be altered by it... for better or worse, usually, I think better.

In this Saturday's Justice League against Dr. Destiny (paraphrased)

Destiny: The closer someone is to me the easier it is for me to get into their mind

Bats: My mind is not a nice place

Even Batman realizes he is not entirely sane. Another note about Justice League it was interesting about how they incorporated Hawkgirl's phobias, clausterphobia and the fear of falling, both make perfect sense for a flying person.

Originally posted by Hermit

It's amazing how good a voice actor Kevin Conroy is and how little credit he gets. In a series where the villains are usually played by top-of-the-line actors (Mark Mammil, Roddy MacDowell to name a couple) and it's Conroy that held the show together at the strong center. He IS Bruce Wayne. And he continued to be just as solid and scary, if not more so, in Batman Beyond as a Bruce Wayne enfeebled by age but still strong in will and spirit. Plus there are those little sly touches of humor that indicate that Bruce may not have slipped completely over the edge....

I wish I knew who the voice actors in Teen Titans were. Robin and Slade in particularl are done exceptionally well.

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

I wish I knew who the voice actors in Teen Titans were. Robin and Slade in particularl are done exceptionally well.

Scott Menville .... Robin

Greg Cipes .... Beast Boy

Khary Payton .... Cyborg

Hynden Walch .... Starfire

Tara Strong .... Raven

Ron Perlman .... Slade

Tara Strong also did the voice of Batgirl, which seems appropriate. But she also does the voice of Bubbles on the Powerpuff Girls, which is just disturbing.

Originally posted by Storn

As for Robin-Batman continuity... there is precious little. Something that does bug me. I love the "I already have a father" and the Wayne Enterprises rooftop arena. But the answers first suppose who IS Robin... Tim or Dick. The creators have stated that they won't tell us (cop out, IMO). I would prefer Tim, because the Titans feels so new, so recombination of elements from the Wolfman/Perez Titans that I grew up with. But if it is Dick, and I would say that the last two eps were more Dick than Tim, then a falling out between Bruce and Dick has to happen at some point. Adolescense seems the perfect place to do it. Dick goes off on his own, and hooks up with the Titans. Problem solved.

There was an episode of Static Shock that guest-starred Batman.

Static: Where's Robin?

Batman: He's with the Titans.

Static:Who?

Batman: You'll meet them someday.

Static Shock was in modern continuity with Batman/Superman-style art, so that Robin was Tim.

Originally posted by Brandi

Curiously, he did almost no voice work before BTAS and little if any non-Batman work since then.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0175834/

Dunno what it means for him as an actor but he is a HELL of a good Batman.

I hope Warner Bros. Animation is paying him REALLY well.

I also hope he gets to go guest work in such cutting-edge shows as Samurai Jack sometimes -- as a character other than Batman, and maybe not even very much like him.

• 4 months later...

Hey all, I'm thinking of starting up a Champions game for my kids, and I asked them who their favorite super heroes were.

My son said Cyborg, and my daughter said Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat.

So the question... Does anyone have a writeup of Cyborg and Shadowcat from the current animated series? I haven't been watching either series long enough, nor was I ever an avid reader of the Teen Titans to know what all Cyborgs powers are. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

If you would like to send them to me off-list that would be fine as well.

PS I don't care that much about point balance and character cost as much as all the powers and disads.

Originally posted by RPMiller

Hey all, I'm thinking of starting up a Champions game for my kids, and I asked them who their favorite super heroes were.

My son said Cyborg, and my daughter said Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat.

Two different universes. Shadowcat is an X-man, but of course you knew that. I'm not as familair with X-Men: Evoution, the most recent animated series.

So the question... Does anyone have a writeup of Cyborg and Shadowcat from the current animated series? I haven't been watching either series long enough, nor was I ever an avid reader of the Teen Titans to know what all Cyborgs powers are. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Not a writeup per se, but I know enouygh about their powers to give you a headstart.

Cyborg basically has cyberetic parts fused into his body. In Champions terms, he would have a high STR, a sonic EB, Amor and Superleap.

Shadowcat's power is to "phase" through solid objcets and phase others through those objects. She can also turn objects insubstantial (in the comics, she "phased" a moving car so that it threw its occupants out into the street). In champions terms, she would have Desolidifcation, UOO and UAO 9as she can phase both willing and unwilling targets), with the side effect that when she phases through electronic equipment she disrupts its operations. (I"m not sure how I'd write that up).

Originally posted by Armitage

There was an episode of Static Shock that guest-starred Batman.

Static: Where's Robin?

Batman: He's with the Titans.

Static:Who?

Batman: You'll meet them someday.

Static Shock was in modern continuity with Batman/Superman-style art, so that Robin was Tim.

Except....in this season we have Robin "hear" about the idea of Nightwing when Starfire comes back from the future. So we're supposed to assume it's Tim and he's somehow too stupid to realise that Grayson has been wearing the costume for a few years??? Also, that episode of Static Shock was on the air before Teen Titans had even debuted. I think they probably initially meant for it to be Tim and then switched horses mid-stream. So far the "dropped hints" in TT have been that this is Grayson, not Drake.

Originally posted by Armitage

But in the time travel episode where Starfire goes to the future, Robin is wearing the Nighthawk costume (with anime long hair blowing in the wind). That would suggest that it's Dick, unless he became too old to be Nighthawk (it's roughly 20 years in the future) and Tim took over.

In which case, I feel sorry for Tim, he really needs his own identity.

Here is my initial write-up. How does it look? I'm probably missing a bunch of stuff, but I'm hoping you all will let me know. :D

I would have added an END Reserve, since he did (at one point) require to show up at a battle with a series of car batteries strapped to his back.

"What about needing to recharge?"

"Don't worry, I got it covered."

10 pts --- 20 REC to END Reserve, OAF - Car Batteries

But, since it was a plot point, it might just be his physical lim: cyborg poping up.

Originally posted by Blue Jogger

I would have added an END Reserve, since he did (at one point) require to show up at a battle with a series of car batteries strapped to his back.

"What about needing to recharge?"

"Don't worry, I got it covered."

10 pts --- 20 REC to END Reserve, OAF - Car Batteries

But, since it was a plot point, it might just be his physical lim: cyborg poping up.

Does he have to "charge-up" regularly or does he ever run out of power? I think I caught the tail end of an episode where something like that had happened. I got the impression that he has 0 REC and unless he charges up he is useless. Is that true?

Does he have to "charge-up" regularly or does he ever run out of power? I think I caught the tail end of an episode where something like that had happened. I got the impression that he has 0 REC and unless he charges up he is useless. Is that true?

They have shown two episodes (that I've seen) where it mattered. One, they showed that he had a countdown of how long he could go before he ran out of power, he worked around it by using car batteries.

This seems to be a 0 REC (unless plugged in at headquarters), he just slowly runs down, but it may be part of his physical limitation of being a cyborg.

The second, Starfire fights a time traveller as he returns to the future and she ends up roughly 20 years in the future. There, cyborg is on an extension cord to a generator, his high-tech fuel cells have long become obsolete. By the time of the next combat, he figures out a solution and shows up ready to beat up the bad guy.

So it appears that he has some sort of batteries that have to be recharged (back at headquarters) and when the batteries run out, he is without power (at -1 STUN) until hooked into another power source.

Good writeup, just a few suggestions:

Do his powers all really justify an OAF?

While he can lose them, they generally never seem to get grabbed away or lost when he falls off of something. Especially not his body armor. I can't think of a time that was ever removed in combat.

I know this will make him more expensive, but animated Cyborg seems more integrated than an OAF implies.

Also, Cyborg should have the mechanics and electronics skills to reflect building his own car & rebuilding his own body when he is injured.

He has also used a Freeze Ray & grapple line on a couple of occasions.

I might add a physical lim to reflect that he does not heal body, he has to make repair rolls.

The "runs out of power" is probably better reflected as a physical limit rather than an END reserve. It comes up for story reasons but in normal combat he never seems to have to conserve his shots because his batteries are low.

It just so happens that I have been working on him recently. Here is what he looks like now. I found some good info on the web and included that as well. I'll take into consideration your points and use them in the next update.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Cyborg

Alternate Identities: Victor "Vic" Stone

Player Name:

attachment.php?s=&postid=101723
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
50 STR 10 -10 50 19- HTH Damage 10d6 END [2]
20 DEX 10 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7
23 CON 10 26 23 14-
13 BODY 10 6 13 12-
20 INT 10 10 20 13- PER Roll 13-
10 EGO 10 0 10 11- ECV: 3
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
12 COM 10 1 12 11-

10 PD 0 10 10   10 PD (10 rPD)
18 ED 5 13 18   18 ED (18 rED)
5 SPD 3.0 20 5   Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
5 REC 5 0 5  
46 END 46 0 46  
25 STUN 25 0 25    
12" Running 6 0 12"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
20"/10"" Leaping 10 0 20" 111 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?s=&postid=269682
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 0
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 60
Total Points: 258
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 12" [24" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (10") 20"
V. Leap (5") 10"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Black
Eye Color:  Brown
Height:  1.99 m
Weight:  175.00 kg
Description:

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 10 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 10  
Energy Defense 18 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 18  
Mental Defense 0 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels: +1 with All Combat , +1 Overall
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
13 Batteries: Endurance Reserve (100 END, 10 REC) REC: (10 Active Points); Limited Recovery (Only when plugged in to a power source; -2)
50 Cyborg Body: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots IIF (-1/4)
3u
1) Enhanced STR: +50 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), IIF (Cyborg Parts; -1/4)
1u
2) Armor Plating And Cybernetic Parts: Damage Resistance (20 PD/18 ED); IIF (-1/4)
1u
3) Powerful Leg Servos: Running +6" (12" total); IIF (-1/4)
1u
4) Powerful Leg Servos: Leaping +10" (20" forward, 10" upward); IIF (-1/4)
30 Cyborg Attachments: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
1u
1) Finger Laser: RKA 2d6; OAF (-1)
2u
2) Electric Shockers: EB 10d6, STUN Only (+0); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4)
3u
3) Sonic Blast: EB 12d6; OAF (-1)
1u
4) Computer Link: Telepathy 6d6 ( Machine class of minds); OAF (-1)
1u
5) Grappling Hook And Winch: Flight 10", Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4); OAF (-1), Requires An Attachment Point (-3/4), Levitation (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), no Noncombat movement (-1/4)
1u
6) IR Perception (Sight Group); OAF (-1)
1u
7) Parabolic Hearing: +2 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OAF (-1)
1u
8) Telescopic Sight: +2 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OAF (-1)
1u
9) UV Perception (Sight Group); OAF (-1)
111 Total Powers Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
8 +1 with All Combat
10 +1 Overall
9 Climbing 16-
9 Computer Programming 16-
36 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
10 Distinctive Features: cyborg (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10 Physical Limitation: Cyborg Parts (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
20 : Afraid Of What Others Think About Him (Very Common, Strong)
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Electricity (Common)
60 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 1.99 m Hair: Black
Weight: 175.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: Victor was the son of scientists Silas and Elinore Stone. The Stones devoted their entire lives to science. Not just theirs, but their son's as well. They experimented on him with intelligence enhancements, boosting the boy's IQ to that of a genius, 170. Because of their deep devotion to their work, they forced Vicotor into the same field, keeping him from having any kind of normal childhood. Victor grew up alone and isolated from other children his age, being schooled by his parents. He was able to make one friend, a boy by the name of Ron Evers. Ron was constantly getting Vic in trouble, but since he was the only friend Vic had, Vic stood by him.

When Vic reached the proper age, Elinor spoke to Silas on his behalf and persuaded him to allow Vic to enter a public High School. This seemed to be exactly what Vic needed, meeting his first girlfriend, Marcy Reynolds, and becoming quite the athlete. Vic had potential. He trained hard and was competitive enough to try for the Olympics. Silas was vehemently against this, hoping Vic would persue more mental challenges over the physical ones. This drove a wedge between the two men that they'd not been able to recover from until shortly before Silas' death.

Vic's parents both worked at STAR Labs as research scientists. Victor had gone to visit them one day, while they were working on two seperate projects. One was a long-range study of an inter-dimensional rift, while the other was a project creating cybernetic body parts for injured military personnel. While observing the rift, a blob-like creature had escaped into this dimension. The creature had killed Elinore, and had severely injured Victor before Silas could reach the 'recall' button, sending the creature back to where it came. Distraught and desperate, Silas used the untested cybernetic organs to save Victor's life. The parts where made of reinforced molybdenum steel, and 'space age' polymers and plastics. The procedure worked, keeping Victor alive, but it left him horribly disfigured, the cybernetic parts easily visible along his entire body. Bitter and angry with his father over his new fate, he left him and school, moving to Hell's Kitchen, in New York.

Vic had become quite the local hero in Hell's Kitchen, doing his best to keep the bad part of town cleaned up and safe. It is here that Vic had met Raven for the first time, when she had recruited him to join the Titans. Vic was proud to be a part of a force for good, using his ill-perceived talents to better mankind. He'd also became friends with the others in the group, most notably Changling (Beast Boy). He also met Sarah Simms, a teacher who working with disabled children. Being disabled, in a way, Vic was able to give the children a positive role-model and hero to look up to. Vic and Sarah never had a romantic relationship, instead remaining close friends throughout the years. In thanks to Victor's new friends and for the purpose they'd given Cyborg, Silas had the first Titan's Tower built. Shortly after, he had died from radiation exposure. Luckily Victor was able to reconcile with his father before it was too late.

Powers/Tactics: Cyborg is incredible strong, easily able to heft several tons. Cyborg's speed, enhanced through solar powered generators, has been increased several fold, and he can leap great distances. Built into his body-armor are an infrared eye, computer generator, sound amplifier, and special programming adapters, which allow him to interface with other body extension and computers. Cyborg's arsenal includes a finger laser attachment, telescopic eyepiece, sonic disrupter, electronic shockers, grappling hooks and winches.
Campaign Use: 
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.25 - interim build)

Nice, but did you really mean to buy his resistant defences as a slot in a multipower? If somebody shoots him while he is running or jumping he is going to get splattered all over the place!

Giving him 50 Str + another 50 str from his attachments also might be a bit much. He is strong, but is by no means the strongest brick they have encountered.

Originally posted by Jhamin

Nice, but did you really mean to buy his resistant defences as a slot in a multipower? If somebody shoots him while he is running or jumping he is going to get splattered all over the place!

Giving him 50 Str + another 50 str from his attachments also might be a bit much. He is strong, but is by no means the strongest brick they have encountered.

Oops. Good point. I'll fix that. Although this is for my kids so there isn't going to be a whole lot of gun play going on at that level.

STR: He only has 50 STR. Look at his characteristics.

Oops. Good point. I'll fix that. Although this is for my kids so there isn't going to be a whole lot of gun play going on at that level.

STR: He only has 50 STR. Look at his characteristics.

He has 50 Str (which cost him 50 points, why is that?) and he has Enhanced Str in his multipower that gives him another 50 points.

Oh!

I get it! I was reading the writeup wrong. You sold off his str then bought him str with reduced end as a power.

This is still a problem. The str is in a multipower.

Did you mean for Cyborg's Implants to be an elemental control instead of a Multipower? As written he would drop to 0 str and be unable to move when he activates his super running or leaping!

I might suggest moving his armor, str, computer links, and leg servos into an elemental control.

I'd then move his senses out of his multipower, that way he can see you with infrared while still shooting at you with his weapons. As he does this on the show all the time you want to make sure this writup is able to leagally do so as well.

Just as a side note, and to make sure that you are understanding Multipowers correctly. You can have as many powers active in a Multipower as you have reserve points to handle the active cost of the powers. It isn't a one and nothing else framework. I could also make the slot multi slots so that I can adjust the active cost devoted to them, but it doesn't sound like this would fit what you all have suggested are his powers.

That being said I did short change the Reserve Points in the Multipower so I admit I have to fix that. I was getting the feeling from folks comments that there might be a misconception of how MPs work so I thought I would clarify that.

Also, above I mention that I'm not really concerned about point balancing and what not as this is for a game I'm going to run with my kids, and I don't want to get them all wrapped up in mechanics right now. Once they are comfortable with role-playing and the mechanics of using skills and combat then they can start focussing on point balancing and moving around powers in frameworks.

In fact, having said that I think I'll just take all the powers out of the MPs altogether for them to use. I was hoping to do a legit write up Cyclops as well though. So I'll keep working on fixing the above writeup and then delete the MPs when my son is about to play him.

Thanks for all the input! I'll post the revised Cyborg when I get a chance to put in all your suggestions.