TV Teen Titans

Michael Hopcroft

Juts saw an episode of the very weird TV version of Teen Titans and wondered if a.) anyone else had seen it too, b.) would anyone like to write up a few of the characters and c.) which Robin is this supposed to be anyway? (Traditionally, it's supposed to be Dick grayson who helped found the Titans, but the animated version looks an awfullot like Tim Drake).

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I regretfully have seen it ... my wife and kids are addicted to the blasted thing. The Robin in the 'toon is indeed Tim ... and has been relatively detached from The Bat, which, IMHO, is a bad idea ... I like the animation and I love the theme ... but I REALLY wish they would make them more like the actual Titans ...

Originally posted by Sketchpad

I regretfully have seen it ... my wife and kids are addicted to the blasted thing. The Robin in the 'toon is indeed Tim ... and has been relatively detached from The Bat, which, IMHO, is a bad idea ... I like the animation and I love the theme ... but I REALLY wish they would make them more like the actual Titans ...

I'm not a purist about my DC Comics characters, and actually I like the new takes on some of these characters. I've only seen one episode, though. I was hoping someone had tapes of some of the earlier episodes so I could catch up. I've heard about a couple of the other episodes and they sound really interesting.

Re: TV Teen Titans

Originally posted by Michael Hopcroft

Juts saw an episode of the very weird TV version of Teen Titans and wondered if a.) anyone else had seen it too, b.) would anyone like to write up a few of the characters and c.) which Robin is this supposed to be anyway? (Traditionally, it's supposed to be Dick grayson who helped found the Titans, but the animated version looks an awfullot like Tim Drake).

A) I've seen it, and it's alright but could be much better.

B) Don't have time to do write-ups.

C) Yes, it's Tim, who is now leading the newest comic-book incarnation of the Teen Titans.

D) I want Kid-Flash, Wonder Girl, and Superboy!!

Re: Re: TV Teen Titans

Originally posted by GenreFiend

A) I've seen it, and it's alright but could be much better.

B) Don't have time to do write-ups.

C) Yes, it's Tim, who is now leading the newest comic-book incarnation of the Teen Titans.

Cyborg is leading the current team, with Raven and Starfire being the rest of the senior statesman, they have made Beast-Boy (CHANGLING DAMB THEM)as an intermiderary, and then the YJ kids

That would just be a super-deformed version of Justice League.

This is a good site about the series.

The series is okay, but really so far most of the episodes have just been villians suddenly appearing and a big fights with not much else. Oh, and Robin has big clown feet, it's really quite disturbing.

uh... I heard the creators say that Robin is specifically ambigious to Dick/Tim question. So I don't think it has been confirmed that Robin is truly Tim...although that is the way I would prefer to handle it. Dick, in my mind, is Nightwing... now and forever.

Now, I've only seen two eps. So it might ahve been disclosed when I wasn't looking.

I don't know why the show is getting SO much flak. I've seen 2 eps and thoroughly enjoyed it. Is it perfect... nah. But I never liked Changling and boy, the show has changed my mind on Changling. He's the best character there.

And any theme song that has an ode to Secret Agent Man buried underneath Japanesey-sounding cheerleader vocals can't be all that bad. I must confess, I get a huge kick out of the theme song.

I like the show. I think it is fun and light. It is NOT the dark Batman:TAS but that doesn't bother me. I think the animation is kind or a mix between Japanese and Bruce Timm stuff. Beast Boy is my favorite on the show with Raven a close second. I like the way they play up the character interaction. Fun. The intro rocks even in Japanese! :D

If you go by the voices for Robin, it's the Animated Series' Tim Drake.

I just wish they'd've done it as a serious show, with Justice League quality artwork. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese animation, and WB already had its own 'goofy superhero' style (see: Freakazoid) that they should have used for a show aimed at a younger audience, instead of trying to market to the anime fans by using all the cliches (big-head-screaming-takes and the like).

But I'm off topic. I'm ordering Hero Designer soon, so I might take a crack at Starfire, Cyborg, and Robin sometime soon.

Gotta say I like this show though I wouldn't mind seeing a serious version someday either. I think the key to enjoying this show for Titans comic fans is to think of it as something like a Mad magazine version of the comic.

Getting back to the original topic what point totals are we looking at in general? Raven looks like she'd cost lots. Cyborg hads a focus for everything and a classic endurance battery...

PS Is there really anyone out there who doesn't like atleast the guitar on the theme song?

Originally posted by Redmenace

Getting back to the original topic what point totals are we looking at in general? Raven looks like she'd cost lots. Cyborg hads a focus for everything and a classic endurance battery...

Actually, I don't think Raven would cost that much; at least, not with what powers she's displayed so far...

Telekinesis

Flight

Desolidification

PRE Attack (i.e. what she did to poor Dr Light :P )

...and that's it, so far. I suppose you could make a case for her mirror, but even that wouldn't be too pricey (I think).

-Yogzilla

Hi there. Long time Titans comic fan here. Just thought I'd give my opinion. I know I know, it doesn't really matter, but it's still out there for everyone to see...

Anyhow, my opinion of the cartoon is, while it's nice that they're doing it, and I'm glad people are enjoying it, it's not quite my cup of tea. I'll still watch it, oh yes, it's Titans, gotta watch it (Hmm, better check on that Psych Lim...). My main reasons for not being particularly thrilled with it are primarily that they don't seem like a very capable team. Just a bunch of teens, who happen to wear costumes, and just happen to have powers, and happen to be in the wrong spot at the right time. I just don't feel they're capable of being heroes some times.

Now with all that said, I must admit I really like what they've done with Changeling, making him a vegetarian and such. I also like Raven's new personality, I just wish they'd work on defining her powers a bit better. Is she some sort of darkness/telekinetic?

Anyhow, if I were to have to grade the cartoon, it'd get.. oh, a B-. Not a bad show, but not one of the greats that I think it could be.

Originally posted by Yogzilla

Actually, I don't think Raven would cost that much; at least, not with what powers she's displayed so far...

Telekinesis

Flight

Desolidification

PRE Attack (i.e. what she did to poor Dr Light :P )

...and that's it, so far. I suppose you could make a case for her mirror, but even that wouldn't be too pricey (I think).

-Yogzilla

Whoops, I was including stuff from the comics like the mass extradimensional teleport, though not an impossible level of points at alll.

I guess her TK would be the costliest, with some interesting teleportation slots, healing?, Flight, darkness, she can go desol?

I just wish they'd've done it as a serious show, with Justice League quality artwork. I'm not a big fan of the Japanese animation, and WB already had its own 'goofy superhero' style (see: Freakazoid) that they should have used for a show aimed at a younger audience, instead of trying to market to the anime fans by using all the cliches (big-head-screaming-takes and the like).

I don't think I've ever seen anime like that, it's an American style, particularly the bodies which are just plain messed up. Here's some current anime to compare: Titans, Tians, Happy Lesson Advance, Narutaru, Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, Get Backers, Scrapped Princess, Naruto.

You haven't seen FLCL, have you?

The manic animation style is very much in the style of some forms of anime. Especially the wild facial expressions.

And, I like Teen Titans. It's a show as much about character interaction as beating up the bad guys.

Originally posted by J4y

I don't think I've ever seen anime like that, it's an American style, particularly the bodies which are just plain messed up. Here's some current anime to compare: Titans, Tians, Happy Lesson Advance, Narutaru, Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, Get Backers, Scrapped Princess, Naruto.

I caught one of the episodes - the one with Thunder and Lightning - and quickly changed the channel. The dialog was badly written and horribly performed, sounding like the worst dubbing I've ever heard for Anime.

But when it showed up again, I decided to give it another go. The Puppet King episode. Better. The dialog still isn't very good, and the performances need lots of work, but it shows a small bit of promise. Not enough to make me want to seek it out, but I'll at least give the episodes a chance - not like the Justice League show, which I either mute (if I'm waiting for another show) or change the channel on the moment I see it.

You haven't seen FLCL, have you?

Yes, I have, it looks nothing like Teen Titans aside from the fact that they're cartoons and not live. Yes, I know the producer said it was heavily inspired by anime and FLCL, having seen the works of the artists and anime he referenced and seen Teen Titans, I want the drugs he's smoking because it's some seriously good stuff.

The manic animation style is very much in the style of some forms of anime. Especially the wild facial expressions.

Well, as far as I can tell they went retro with teen titans. Yes the theme is sung by a japanese band but that doesn't make the show anime. It's disco or whatever and the animation looks like the large headed freaky pictures someone would have if they last decorated in the 50s or 60s. A lot of the anime or people the producer mentions WAS done in the 60s like Astro Boy... The weird thing is that it's the team that is mostly messed up. When they show normal people they don't look so bizarrly warped as the actual team does. Robin and Raven look like they were drawn by 3 year olds and thats insulting some 3 year olds!

Why do i expect that in the next epsidoe Robin is going to have the mother of all hissy fits? Apparently Aqualad shows up and he's a hunk. I've only seen two episodes so i don't know whatbthe Robin-Starfire relationship is like really in the TV series (as opposed to the comic) but surely there's going to be some jealousy seething in there.

Makes me wonder -- what kind of boyfriend would Raven attract? Surely not Beast Boy, who although he has a high opinion of himself is probably not all that popular with girls 9and certainly isn;t popular with Raven!).

Loved Starfire's attempts in the most recent episode to drag raven to the "mall of shopping". Starfire and raven are rapidly becoming my favorite characters because they're such polar opposites.

By the way, i prefer the japanese theme. I'm sure the lyrics make more sense. I wonder if this show is being released in japan and whether it would catch on there.:cool:

Originally posted by Stormraven

I caught one of the episodes - the one with Thunder and Lightning - and quickly changed the channel. The dialog was badly written and horribly performed, sounding like the worst dubbing I've ever heard for Anime.

But when it showed up again, I decided to give it another go. The Puppet King episode. Better. The dialog still isn't very good, and the performances need lots of work, but it shows a small bit of promise. Not enough to make me want to seek it out, but I'll at least give the episodes a chance - not like the Justice League show, which I either mute (if I'm waiting for another show) or change the channel on the moment I see it.

I'm in a similar boat. I saw the first episode and CRINGED. I hated the animation, and the writing seemed sub standard. However, the kids(And hey, the show IS marketted more for kids...despite it's #$#$ time slot for it) I baby sit for loved it, so I recorded the darn thing for them.

I hate to admit it, but while the animation still makes me cringe at times, the writing has done a turn around and is getting quite good. The character development, plots, and dialouge are now saving the show.

I still don't care for the animation, but that's me.

My five-year old daughter enjoys Justice League. But she enjoys Teen Titans even more. Admittedly, she doesn't understand the storylines completely, but she enjoys the animation.

Certainly the animation is different from Justice League; I'd put it more on the Pokemon side of the fence. I just wear a different hat when I watch it. I with the animation were less kiddie, but I can live with it.

Especially because my daughter and I watch it together.