Can one make a base that is also a vehicle?

Ragdoll

Re: Can one make a base that is also a vehicle?

You mean like a flying fortress, or S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flying HQ? Yes, yes you can. I think there’s even an example of one in Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks if I remember correctly. It’s Warlord’s base and is built as a very large vehicle.

Are you trying to stay within the strict letter of the rules?

As I understand it, one way is simply to build a vehicle and make it as large as you need it to be and there's your base.

If I recall the rules correctly, a base can have movement powers that effect characters but isn't really "supposed" to be able to move itself.

Of course, I also don't object to breaking the rules under some circumstances.

I also once created a "Death Star" type space ship by creating a large base AND a vehicle designed to be strong enough to lift and move the base. The "vehicle" I defined as "Engine room and propulsion systems."

Would you like to get specific and tell us what you're trying to do exactly?

Lucius Alexander

Rewriting the palindromedary as a vehicle

Make a really large Vehicle.

Add Movement Powers to a Base - there is no rule against this.

The biggest different between a Base and Vehicle is that Characteristic Block - I would pick which you believe is the primary aspect and use that template. Bases aren't going to be very maneuverable, but getting a Base Sized Vehicle is a little more expensive.

Are you trying to stay within the strict letter of the rules?

As I understand it, one way is simply to build a vehicle and make it as large as you need it to be and there's your base.

If I recall the rules correctly, a base can have movement powers that effect characters but isn't really "supposed" to be able to move itself.

Of course, I also don't object to breaking the rules under some circumstances.

I also once created a "Death Star" type space ship by creating a large base AND a vehicle designed to be strong enough to lift and move the base. The "vehicle" I defined as "Engine room and propulsion systems."

Would you like to get specific and tell us what you're trying to do exactly?

Lucius Alexander

Rewriting the palindromedary as a vehicle

Well, the night before last, I had a particularly vivid dream. Anyway, long story short, it's a large ship. Maybe alien, maybe not. That sits above the city, and slowly moves from place to place above the city in a pattern. It can go to other cities but it remains above this one city.

So from that description, it sounds more like a large vehicle that also serves as a mobile base, yes?

Make a really large Vehicle.

Add Movement Powers to a Base - there is no rule against this.

The biggest different between a Base and Vehicle is that Characteristic Block - I would pick which you believe is the primary aspect and use that template. Bases aren't going to be very maneuverable, but getting a Base Sized Vehicle is a little more expensive.

If I remember correctly - and I probably ought to crack the book and make sure - another MAJOR difference is that the Vehicle is always targeted as a whole, whereas if you hit a Base, you hit one hex of the Base.

Lucius Alexander

Redefining the palindromedary as a Base

a tardis if you want the vehicle to be a workable size then have EDM to the base and have the Vehicle move by remote control

EDM all by itself doesn't simulate as well. Damage (when it happens) to the outside seems to affect the inside directly, and when the Tardis gets tipped over all the rooms inside tip on their sides as well.

I seem to recall the Ultimate Vehicle building a Tardis Expy by buying all the extra size with Invisible Power Effects.

Although by the 5E rules a base built according to the "Base" rules can't be mobile, there's precedent in Fifth Edition books for a vehicle large enough to be a base. Book Of The Destroyer features such a vehicle, Dr. Destroyer's super-submarine the Poseidon's Fist, which although built using the "Vehicle" rules is mapped out as thoroughly as any base.

I don't see why you couldn't make something with the properties of both a base

and a vehicle. Take the Jawa Sandcrawler from Star Wars, for example. That

thing was, for all practical intents and purposes, a humongous mobile home

on treads.

Major Tom 2009 :dyn

To make such a base/vehicle, I would go the simple route and buy a vehicle at the size that the base is supposed to be. I would put into the base/vehicle any ability that would go into it according to the character's needs and desires. If they are going to hold prisoners, then they will need some way to restrain the prisoner. If you desire the place to be TARDIS-style, then simply make the place at the size that one person requires and is nothing more than an EDM portal. Anyone entering the TARDIS will enter into that other dimension, which is actually the base/vehicle. For example the semi on the original Knight Rider.

I don't see why you couldn't make something with the properties of both a base and a vehicle. Take the Jawa Sandcrawler from Star Wars, for example. That

thing was, for all practical intents and purposes, a humongous mobile home

on treads.

Major Tom 2009

(Emphasis mine) Um, no one said you couldn’t. In fact, several people have already shown multiple ways to do it, at least one of which there are even examples of in “official” books.