Time Travelling "Historian"

Marcus Impudite

Somehow, your character has been transported back in time to the Royal Library of Alexandria mere days before the fire that destroyed it (details on that left up to you). It's night time and no one's inside...except for a fellow in futuristic-looking attire who somehow managed to sneak past the guards. From the looks of things, he's scanning all the books in the library and making complete electronic copies of them on a data device he's holding in his hand. He shows no sign of having noticed you as of yet, and as he continues to scan more books you hear him whisper to himself, "Yes! Just a few more and I'll be ready to get out of here. I'll make a fortune off this for sure..."

WWYCD?

Re: Time Travelling "Historian"

Cougar (1) - He would help and suggest more targets for future heists.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56153(I)

Riot (fka Nemesis6) - Lets split up and grab as much as we can.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59228

Preservation of Historical Artifacts even for profit is not a crime. Allowing them to be destroyed however is a crime against man.

QM

Badger-breaks the guy's device. Starts grabbing books to take with him back to the future. (well breaking device is optional maybe, maybe not).

Frosty Bob- Books? Who cares? *lights match to light up cigarette, throws aside match after lighting cigarette, library catches fire* "um.......uh-oh" :doi:

Note: Not sure what Badger would do when he got back to the future. Most would probably be allowed to the public one way or another (and no, not for his profit). But, if he discovers any info in a book that he deems needs to be kept away from the public for its own good, then no)

2nd Note: Hey, you never know when you'll pick up something similar to the Necronomicon, you dont want the public getting hold of that. :nonp:

The Economaster loves the idea of someone using innovative technology for profit...and even the black market is run by normal market forces. Stay out of this guy's way, or give him some advice on how to sell his goods for maximum benefit. Otherwise, focus on buying a way home.

Golem cares less about books, the important ones would be divinely protected in his mind. Once he figured out he was in the past, he would take off and start the process of 'correcting' a great deal of tragic Jewish history througought the ages.

Iron Maiden: She wouldn't stop him scanning the books--she's a bibliophile, if the records will eventually be available again, that's good. She wouldn't prevent the fire either, though, because she doesn't want to screw around with history. For the same reason (among others) she'd ask/insist that the time traveler drop her off in her own present on his way back to his time.

Volt, Black Tiger and Leadman would do the same thing. Nothing, except ask for a ride home. He's not destroying the books, he's recording them. Profit? He's risking his neck, and I'm sure it cost him to be there. Seems appropriate to them. Volt may say to him to let a couple go free, as he could afford to.

Olorin would go "Hey, good idea." and eventually record them magically himself. Some he'd sell, some he'd keep and some he'd let go free. Oops. This means the other guy's profits would go down, as some would be available. Too bad.

Futurian - Back off quitely. It's very likely to be Futurian himself. "Oh God! Mustn't meet myself. That never works well." In fact, in my world if I did this, it would be Futurian from the present Futurian's past, which is the future. (Time travel wreaks havoc on tenses.)

Warp: "And I'll pay you another one if you could give me a ride. Final destination is 2009, but I'd like to make a quick stop at July 23, 1992. I got a small errand to run then.

Daedalus: Remains hidden and hacks his device to download copies of everything he's saved for himself. He also gets sensor readings of all the equipment the individual has. Then he'll introduce himself and ask for a ride. In the event he says no, thanks to Daedalus' scans he should be able to make his own time machine to get back home.

If turns out the future visitor didn't use a time machine but instead innate time travel ability Daedalus will lock him out of his own data device and use the new password to gain access to it as leverage to persuade him if he initially refuses to help when asked.

Quetzalcoatl: For Quetzalcoatl it would have to be forward in time since his native era predates the destruction of the Library of Alexandria.

If it turns out not to be Darius or any other time traveller previously encountered Quetzalcoatl will surreptiously read his mind to see if his purpose is as truly as benign as it initially appears to be.

If it is, Quetzalcoatl will politely introduce himself and indicate he has no problem with the man's efforts to preserve knowledge for the future. He would then suggest that if he'd an opportunity to make even more profit by preserving knowledge he knows another place he could go. He basically offers to be the man's guide to the libraries (public libraries only, no sensitive infromation) of Thera in return for a ride back home. Getting back home and potentially getting a friendly time traveller as an ally would be a double win.

Ming Wu, aka The Jade Mandarin, Scion of Dr. Yin Wu: Pre-Exile Ming Wu would be making copies magically himself of any books on mystical subjects. He'd remain hidden from view and go about his own business until the man was almost done and then use his magic to take control of his mind.

He'd then make the time traveller take him to various points in time to the last known whereabouts of lost grimoires and powerful artifacts so he could take possession of them. He'd finally return to his own time so that he might use his ammassed collection to further his father's cause, and mindwipe the man so he'll return to the future none the wiser.

Post-Exile would be pretty much the same (assuming it happened after he somehow managed to escape the prison dimension) except he'd be using the ammassed collection in his own campaign to conquer China.

Dr. Malcolm Drake, Immortal Alchemist/Enchanter/Archeologist/Occult Trouble Shooter: Pre-Guardians Recruitment: "Hi, Dr. Malcolm Drake, head of The Special Acquisitions and Miscellaneous Research Department of The Smithsonian Institute. Look me up whenever you get back to your own time and we'll work out some deal regarding those copies you've made. Oh, and could you drop me off in 2009?"

After he's recruited by The Guardians to help fix the multiverse he'd probably stay hidden unless part of their assignment to fix the universe he's currently in involves preventing those copies from being taken from the future. If that is the case then the data storage unit gets snatched and smashed.

No doubt another of Vitus's efforts trying to find a way to recreate his homeworld, or at least a way to the Great Library in the Pleiades where they may exist directions on how to do so.

In that case, let the time traveller get on with his job as Vitus going around shovelling any copies of the Pnakotic Manuscripts into his bag.

Aquatic- Would focus on saving lives rather than books, and be torn on the 'book copier' ...glad they were being saved, but annoyed at the reason. He might ask the guy for a lift home if there were no other way, but he couldn't 'pay' the guy... he might end up leaping on him.

Mole If still around when the 'fire' starts, stops it...and when he returns home to "The present" looks nervously at the flying cars and alien ambassadors

"Ah...nutbunnies"