It's the Little Things....

Lucius

Re: It's the Little Things....

I prefer 1 point does no Penetrating BOD (or gets 1 BOD on a roll of 6 on 1d6)' date=' but that's not what the designer says. 1d6 with Standard Effect always gets 1 BOD. So does 1 pip. 1/2 d6 only gets 1 BOD half the time.[/quote']

Oh missed that sentence.

"A 1 point Killing attack does 1 BODY Penetrating; a half die Killing Attack does 1 BODY if it rolls a 4, 5 ,6 (minimum 1 point); a Killing Attack that adds +1 to the dice doesn't get any extra benefit if it's penetrating

I only saw the last bolded (my emphasis) sentence when I looked it up last time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's technically illegal in the sense that the rule book says you can't do it.

If the book told you that it was legal to jump off a bridge, would you do it? ;)

Book rules are only worth the stock that a GM puts into them.

I think that few would argue that since the book does not imply that you should buy TK in increments of 2 STR (e.g. 3 STR and so on is perfectly legal by the book) then ipso facto 0-1 STR can logically be respectively priced at 1 pt and 2 pts as per rounding rules and logic (i.e. 1 STR should obviously not cost the same as 0 STR).

If the book told you that it was legal to jump off a bridge, would you do it? ;)

Book rules are only worth the stock that a GM puts into them.

I think that few would argue that since the book does not imply that you should buy TK in increments of 2 STR (e.g. 3 STR and so on is perfectly legal by the book) then ipso facto 0-1 STR can logically be respectively priced at 1 pt and 2 pts as per rounding rules and logic (i.e. 1 STR should obviously not cost the same as 0 STR).

It depends on the context. If I was reading an instruction manual on BASE jumping, then, I would probably do it.

3 STR TK is book legal? Funny, all of the sidebar examples have even STR amounts... the USPD TK powers section all have even STR amounts...

I think you are entirely wrong in your interpetation that the book does not imply that TK should be bought in increments of 2 STR. The pricing for TK is explicitly listed as 3 points per 2 STR, not 1.5 points per 1 STR. It also states, plainly, that a character cannot buy 0 or 1 STR Telekinesis.

Sure, every GM is free to disregard any rule in the book they want to ignore, but this is the Hero System Discussion Board, not the My House Rules discussion board...

3 STR TK is book legal? Funny, all of the sidebar examples have even STR amounts... the USPD TK powers section all have even STR amounts...

I think you are entirely wrong in your interpetation that the book does not imply that TK should be bought in increments of 2 STR. The pricing for TK is explicitly listed as 3 points per 2 STR, not 1.5 points per 1 STR. It also states, plainly, that a character cannot buy 0 or 1 STR Telekinesis.

Funny, I thought of the Kick Up, Pick Up Talent from A Few Talents More, which is built with 3 STR.

If what you say is true, and not just coincidence, then who was sleeping on the job when that got through?

Funny' date=' I thought of the [i']Kick Up, Pick Up[/i] Talent from A Few Talents More, which is built with 3 STR.

If what you say is true, and not just coincidence, then who was sleeping on the job when that got through?

From what i can see in the book, it seems that you have to buy a minimum of 2 Str TK. There is a section (pg 115 5ER) that deals with buying less than the full amount of a power. So I believe that having a 3str TK is legal (Costing 4 points).

From what i can see in the book' date=' it seems that you have to buy a minimum of 2 Str TK. There is a section (pg 115 5ER) that deals with buying less than the full amount of a power. So I believe that having a 3str TK is legal (Costing 4 points).[/quote']

There we go (I checked and it actually is on p114, but close enough).

BTW, I'm not disputing that the book doesn't say that you cannot buy 0-1 STR; it does, but in light of Tasha's observation, I think that it only strengthens the argument that TK is not restricted to even numbers.

I think that the truth is simple: paying 3 pts for 2 STR sounds less complicated to a new player than saying that you pay 1.5 pts for 1 STR, even if it is mathematically identical (all of this can be said for Lightning Reflexes with All Actions).

I suppose that we can call it even that 0-1 TK STR is technically illegal (core rules implies technique), the book acknowledges odd scores beyond 2 STR, and that even scores are usually used for their mathematical simplicity (besides, most if them are also in increments of 10, correlation or coincidence?).

Let's get this thread back on track though...

You know what's something so simple, but I often find overlooked?

Rapid Attack.

It turns Sweep/Rapid Fire (depending on which version you buy) into a Half-Phase Action.

Maybe it's just my players, but they only ever use it to make Half-Moves before attacking.

Yawn...

I like to make Tactics rolls (when allowed) for temporary Combat Bonuses (as per TUS) or else making Find Weakness Rolls prior to attacking for a more brutal beatdown.

Of course, these both work better with Ranged Rapid Attack, in which you do not need to be right up to your opponent, but still...

I had a bard whohad a map to the nearest tavern' date=' no matter how far that was. It acted more like a compass with distance on it. It was fun thouhlgh the campaign didn't last long enough to really have fun with it.[/quote']I remember that.

Speaking of Diminished Sleep, I've found that most LS powers have fun implications.

Immune to Alcohol? You'l beat all comers in a drinking contest but you'll also probably learn to drink for flavor in the long run.

Immortal? Expanded lifespan at the very least? Sounds like an excellent excuse for having a lot of Skills and/or Skill Levels.

Expanded Breathing can make for more fulfilling SCUBA dives.

Diminished Sleeping gives you what everyone wishes they had: more time in a day.

All of these and more only cost a few points, save for Total Life Support, which I think can cloud one's perception about how amazing a single component would be to have.

BTW this power does 0 body. Penetrating for Killing attacks must be at least 1/2d6 to have a chance of doing 1 body (on a 4,5,6 roll). To have 1 body Standard effect it should be a 1d6RKA. (pg 255 5ER)

Tasha :D

p266, but I think this has already been covered: it does 1 Body penetrating because a 1 pip kill does 1 Body. I'm unkeen on tiny little damaging powers like this in any event, but it is useful for destroying worlds in under 30 points:

Killing Attack - Ranged 1 point, Uncontrolled (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1), MegaScale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4) (26 Active Points)

One idea we sort of toyed with is the creation of the GM Fiat as an actual game construct. As part of your XP award you could receive 1 point bonuses built like this:

Kharma: +1 Overall (10 Active Points); 1 Charge which Never Recovers (-4), No Conscious Control (-2)

That allow the GM to row you out of fatal situations by adding a few points to your DCV, or climb roll, in life and death situations.

Arguably a bit meta-gamey but it did allow a sort of explanation as to how some people could survive seemingly impossible odds.

• 2 weeks later...

so is 0 STR TK technically legal? or did you mean the cost?

Can I use 1 pt. of gliding to stop or slow my descent?

Characteristics- extra, little or no benefiting points on characteristics to match other characteristics or otherwise emphasis something different about the character.

Ex. Golden Girl would have 24 or 14 for characteristics.

STR 24/60

DEX 24, beats out all those DEX 23's; definitely not wasteful.

CON 24

BOD 14/24

INT 24, 1 pt. 'wasted'.

EGO 14

PRE 14/24 defense

COM 24, now and forever.

Actually, most of the values are pretty cost efficient!

Also, all 20's or 25's or multiples of 5,10,15 for genetically enhanced types.

Ex. starting super-soldier

STR 25

DEX 25

CON 25

BOD 25

INT 20

EGO 15

PRE 15

COM 15

0 STR TK is perfectly legal but you have to pay for at least 2 STR TK.

You can use 1" gliding to prevent further acceleration but it will not slow a fall in Earth gravity. Well, I suppose you could use it to turn i.e. change vector and slow that way.

I would not allow it in all likelihood: it doen't make a lot of sense.

You can use 1" gliding to prevent further acceleration but it will not slow a fall in Earth gravity. Well, I suppose you could use it to turn i.e. change vector and slow that way.

It's little glider wings on a suit, Just enough to allow you to direct 'where' you fall, not how fast you fall. I can see characters with Athletic using this. Especially if they have a grapnel or the such.

By the rules as written you should be able to stop your fall given enough time with the gliding power activated (IIRC You would be able to slow your decent by 1/2" per phase, until you got to 1")

For my paladin of the light

Holy Aura: Cosmetic Transform 1 point (Dirty possessions into clean possessions, Time/Getting possessions dirty again), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Partial Transform (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (7 Active Points); Limited Target ([Very Limited]; Self only; -1), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)

Basically dirt wouldn't stick to her or anything that was in her possession. Which was a stark contrast to our "Ranger" who didn't take baths (unless bodily threatened).

Hey! That's how he stayed "In Tune" with nature!

Yeah after we were done with the function that required the bath, he would go out and roll around in the underbrush and other outdoorsie stuff to "lose the smell of Civilzation". He was basically Pigpen with a bow.

Pigpen with a bow? Ha! Then you were "Mr. Clean in Plate!"

;)

Life Support: Immunity to dirt. 1cp.

A lot simpler. :P Why bother with complicated constructs (and pay SEVEN points for utterly irrelevant things??) when you don't need to. Considering you can get about 25% of an ultraslot (at -1/2) for the same price, I think this is enough for that one time where the other PCs have to take a bath (to not lose face) and you don't. I usually go with a flat 1 cp for anything that is interesting, but fairly pointless (Immortality included, as the game only lasts ingame months at most).