How to make the Loner feel not so Lonely?

SimComm

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How to make the Loner feel not so Lonely?

This is actually a very interesting suggestion! (the building of a soulmate :) )

I suppose one could build someone who is "ideal," but what happens if you run into someone who is perferrable?

Do you then reject your creation? (And what would your creation think???)

-SC

1. If you built your "ideal" from scratch, how likely is it for you to find someone "preferable"?
  2. Leave the devil you know for one you do not? That just seems unwise, especially since you have built your "ideal". What flaws may creep in this other model?

1. If you built your "ideal" from scratch, how likely is it for you to find someone "preferable"?
  2. Leave the devil you know for one you do not? That just seems unwise, especially since you have built your "ideal". What flaws may creep in this other model?

As often as what people Say they want and Think they want are completely different from what they Really want, it is nearly guaranteed.

I think if you had this power you'd find that there is always more than one. Unless' date=' of course, you are so reprehensible that good, decent people will have nothing to do with you (and even then there'd probably be a few sickos lining up). :eg:[/quote']

At one time, that would have been the cue for Mightybec to appear in this thread.

:)

KA.

I'm not mightbec, though occasionaly I have been accused of being a sicko. I still say there is nothing wrong with cheese and jam sandwiches, using cheese whiz.

Welcome to the boards Sim. I'm glad your issue has been resolved. A long while ago I ran a game at one of the FLGS that was sorta open. I had a couple of friends who wanted to play and I put up a sign for more players. I got some good ones and I got some really doozies

One guy was new to roleplaying and he made him self a dwarf cleric. Now he'd just been playing AD&D and the campaign was a post apocolyptic not quite four colour superhero campaign. It had a WW2 Hero out of time, a undead contstruct and a few other odds and ends... So a dwarf cleric, not out of place. He was an okay player, but his AD&D group was very hack and slash and he had no idea how to play a cleric really. He didn't last long, but when I let him go it was gently.

There was this one guy who joined up and decided to make a time travelling/dimension hopping martial artist type. He got on peoples nerves. He did very disruptive things and got people hurt, upset with him and his character and stuff like that. I have a 3 strike rule. He rapidly went through them all. There was one point where he time travelled out of combat so he didn't have to get hurt. My other players dug a whole where he disappeared (because it was through time and not space) and when he reappeared he fell into the deep hole and had a tree planted on him... he either had to stay where he was or travel sideways not knowing where he was going. Needless to say I asked him to leave.

The very first guy to go was one who had created a villain hiding as a hero.. no that wasn't the character concept, that's how he played the character. He was so disruptive at one point I asked him to go and not come back. I then turned the character into a kick ass villain with far more personality than had originally been played. The players eventually over came him and put him into a prision dimension of some type.

My point is this, you have the right to have fun and enforce the rules of your game. You have the obligation to make sure others are having fun and get rid of trouble makers

And you can turn bad PCs into great NPC villains. :)

As a total aside I use my real nick name on these boards. Why? Cause I like it. I can totally understand why other people use well, use names on the net.. cause sometimes it's just safer and better and cooler that way.

That 'detect soulmate' power is pretty cool. A character with a power like that could make a mint for themselves I'll bet by setting up a matchmaker business in the campaign city. They'd probably need to tag on something like megascale, right? =?

I wonder what kind of 350 point superhero one could make starting with that power as one of many themed powers. Some sort of minor god of love or something?

Anyone care to hazard a guess? :)

That 'detect soulmate' power is pretty cool. A character with a power like that could make a mint for themselves I'll bet by setting up a matchmaker business in the campaign city. They'd probably need to tag on something like megascale' date=' right? =?[/quote']

And maybe Usable On Others. :)

I wish I had this power...

Although what would you do if you found more than one...

Or never one at all... :(

-SC

You're assuming a binary situation, that any given two people either "Are soulmates" or "are not soulmates." In my opinion "soulmate" is a meaningless term, or at least, far too simple a concept for what is actually very complex.

People can be more or less compatible, and they can be compatible or incompatible in different ways. For example, two people might be very happy together, so long as they don't have a child; or be likely to have a solid relationship unless they have to cope with a long absence.

Here's an example power:

Matchmaker: Detect Compatibility (Mental Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Perceive into the past (harboring any dark secrets?) and possible futures (do they have one?), Rapid: x10, Telescopic: +4, Tracking (I know just where to find the mate for you!), Transmit (to make THEM realize how suitable or unsuitable they are) (47 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Only to Activate, -1 1/2), Incantations (Matchmaker, Matchmaker, make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch; -1/4) Real Cost: 17

Given enough prospects to look through, you're unlikely to get "never one at all." With Analyze, and maybe some associated skills, even if you don't get a "match" (person of high mutual compatibility) you may get at least advice - "You will never find lasting love unless you move beyond your grief for your dead husband!" or "No decent woman will stay with you for long until you swear off of strong drink!" If you found "more than one" good prospects, the matchmaker can look at, say, two prospects and consider the question "are they compatible with one another, in the context of both of them having a relationship with this person?" If so, you have a menagerie troika, or whatever they call that. If not, you may get an opinion as to best match, or counsel on how they differ - "This one will be a good father to your children, but this one would be very supportive and valuable in your career."

Lucius Alexander

And a compatible palindromedary

If you built your "ideal" from scratch' date=' how likely is it for you to find someone "preferable"?[/quote']

Really? Ever watch the Twilight Zone? This situation has been covered in fiction since before television and it almost always ends badly. “Be careful what you wish for” applies 10 fold when dealing with a mate.

Really? Ever watch the Twilight Zone? This situation has been covered in fiction since before television and it almost always ends badly. “Be careful what you wish for” applies 10 fold when dealing with a mate.

This is why we came up with the Fembot of the Month Club. Every month, your new fembot arrives and the old one returns to us, to be repaired and reprogrammed before being dispatched to delight another customer.

Lucius Alexander

Only from Palindromedary Enterprises

Here's another power:

Summon "Soulmate": Summon 150-point Potential Love Interest (30 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Only to Activate, -2), Arrives Under Own Power (-1/2), Summoned Being Must Inhabit Locale (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Side Effects (Missed roll means only unsuitable mates appear; -1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Two or three UNsuitable mates also appear, but it will not necessarily be immediately obvious which are which. ; -1/2) Real Cost 5

Why 150 pts? I'm assuming a superhero needs someone with at least some capacity for taking care of themselves in a super world.

You'll probably have to date at least a couple of prospects to figure out which one is the "real" Potential Relationship Subplot. Also, Summon only gets you so many dates ("tasks") and if you don't lay the foundations for some kind of relationship in that time, the Summoned Romantic Plot Complication will drift away. Of course, for a given Summoning, ALL the ones that turn up could turn out to be wrong for you, and you just have to start over.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks this would be a great power for a "cupid" character, but what does a bicephalous cameloid know?

This is why we came up with the Fembot of the Month Club. Every month' date=' your new fembot arrives and the old one returns to us, to be repaired and reprogrammed before being dispatched to delight another customer.[/quote']

Gee, sounds like ALMOST as great an idea as 'Westworld'.

Robots built to be visually indistinguishable from humans almost always go homicidally psycho, sooner or later. It is a Law of Hollywood thing.

Gee, sounds like ALMOST as great an idea as 'Westworld'.

Robots built to be visually indistinguishable from humans almost always go homicidally psycho, sooner or later. It is a Law of Hollywood thing.

You'd feel more comfortable if yours could not pass for human? That can be arranged. They all have Distinctive Features anyway, including a serial number, and a Social Limitation specifically because they can't easily "pass" and you will note that they are very closely monitored (watched by manufacturer) and have a self destruct fail safe.

Fembot Model 75/75

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

13 DEX 9 12- OCV: 4/DCV: 4

13 CON 6 12-

8 BODY -4 11-

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-/14-

- EGO 0 9- Automaton – no self-will

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

20 COM 5 13-

4 PD 1 Total: 4 PD (4 rPD)

4 ED 1 Total: 4 ED (4 rED)

3 SPD 7 Phases: 4, 8, 12

8 REC 4

20 END -3

23 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 47

Movement:

Running: 5"/6"/10"/12"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

3 “I have high pain tolerance” : Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED) (4 Active Points); Can’t stop first 1 Pt of BOD of a killing attack (-1/2)

1 “I come when called” : Running +1" (5"/6" total) (2 Active Points); Only if called (-1) 1

2 "I hear and obey": +1 PER with Hearing Group

1 “I am a tireless worker” : Life Support (Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week (About 1 hr in 24))

1 Holding Breath: Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Turn)

Talents

4 Double Jointed

3 Metabolic Control: Simulate Death 9 -

3 Musically Inclined: Perfect Pitch

4 “I move gracefully and beautifully in chains” : Environmental Movement (no penalties when bound)

2 “I follow instructions” : Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Only to recall orders (-1)

Skills

3 "I am skilled and graceful": Acrobatics 12-

3 "I can be anything you want me to be.": Acting 13-

3 “I can hold any position you choose” : Contortionist 12-

3 “You are so fascinating, please tell me more!” : Conversation 13-

1 "I can be anything you want me to be.": Mimicry 8-

1 “I am clever with makeup and costumes” : Disguise 8-

3 (Doesn't have to say a word....): Seduction 13-

3 Scholar "I learn quickly"

2 1) KS: Carnal Knowledge (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) KS: Owner (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Jill of All Trades "I learn quickly"

2 1) PS: Concubine (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) PS: Cook (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) PS: Dancer (3 Active Points) 12-

2 4) PS: Maid (3 Active Points) 13-

2 5) PS: Massage (3 Active Points) 13-

2 6) PS: Singer (3 Active Points) 13-

4 Language: Select One (completely fluent; literate)

3 Read Master: Analyze: A Man's Desires 13-

Notes: An Analyze skill for “sizing up” a man’s preferences (general, long-term desires) and moods (what he feels like right now)

5 "I learn quickly": Cramming

5 "I learn quickly": Cramming

10 +1 Overall

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 90 Total Cost: 137

75+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Beautiful and seductive (Concealable)

10 Distinctive Features: (Easily Concealed; Causes Major Reaction; Serial Number)

20 Social Limitation: Fembot (Frequently, Severe)

20 Hunted: Manufacturer 14- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

15 “Exists to serve” Dependence on Master / Programmed self-destruction. For each day forcibly separated from Master and/or prevented from actively rendering service, fembot takes 3d6 damage, and suffers incompetence and weakness as per Dependence. (This keeps anyone from stealing your fembot unless they know how to reprogram it to recognize a different Master)

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Background/History: Fembot model AAF709 - 75/75 built on 75 points plus 75 points of disadvantages, suitable for a standard heroic game. 13 points are left unspent for optional customization and/or skills not yet programmed. Available for sale (75 pt follower for 15 pts) or lease (Summon 150 pt Fembot 30 pts, (+1 advantage for slavishly devoted 60 pts,) delivery to reasonable locations only (-1/2 limit “must inhabit locale”) allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery (-5 limit extra time) Check out our special rates for matched sets and harems with Teamwork skill! (each 5 pts doubles the number for either Follower or Summon)

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

You'd feel more comfortable if yours could not pass for human?

Actually, for reasons already stated, I personally would stay totally away from the entire Fembot notion.

Too much that can go wrong (refer, again, 'Westworld'), and programming them so that they "exist solely to serve" is .... Well, been more than a few instances in SF where that seemingly bulletproof idea has ended with exceptionally nasty results.