Those Meddling Kids

Steve

The new Scooby-Doo movie (The Mystery Begins) that's being advertised on Cartoon Network got me to wondering how you'd portray this sort of campaign in Hero. The superhero version could be done as a type of Teen Champions campaign that has the heroes facing lower-powered adult villains. Kim Possible is another type of "meddling kids" superhero/teen spy action. Harry Potter has a feeling of "meddling kids" when it comes to Fantasy. In fact, the existence of magic might make for an interesting Urban Fantasy Hero campaign.

Has anyone ever run a "meddling kids" sort of campaign?

Re: Those Meddling Kids

The new Scooby-Doo movie (The Mystery Begins) that's being advertised on Cartoon Network got me to wondering how you'd portray this sort of campaign in Hero. The superhero version could be done as a type of Teen Champions campaign that has the heroes facing lower-powered adult villains. Kim Possible is another type of "meddling kids" superhero/teen spy action. Harry Potter has a feeling of "meddling kids" when it comes to Fantasy. In fact, the existence of magic might make for an interesting Urban Fantasy Hero campaign.

I tried.

And I'd have gotten away with it too!

Lucius Alexander

If it wasn't for those meddling palindromedaries!

There actually was a Meddling Kids RPG out by some small company. It was targeted towards the younger gamers. The basic premise is that you played the requisite group of kids with a token unusual companion (e.g., a ghost, a talking car, an intelligent chimp) who investigated mysteries.

It's been a long while since I looked at it, but if memory serves right, it wasn't too bad. Although I do recall someone commenting that there was the risk of the Companion becoming a deus ex machina if the GM wasn't careful.

"Being out of your box isn't a right, Patty, it's a privilege. You don't wanna go back in your box, do you baby?" -Ted.

:rofl:

Hey, I'm sorry for the minor derail. Ever since I saw that episode of the Venture Brothers, I can't look at anything Scooby Doo related in the same way. XD

I've had the Scoobies show up as NPCs, both in something close to their original forms and as burned out, PTSD suffering adults. Could be fun to run a convention game with them. Not sure how long a campaign would last, though.

The real trick as GM would be to remember that the bad guys don't actually want to kill the kids, just to scare them. That means no actual street gangs, no real mobsters, no hungry actual monsters; just fairly meek grifters in masks.

Of course, a very funny and incredibly dark game could be had by letting the Scoobies loose in a crack house, or having them wander into a Slasher movie. Just make sure you have player buy in first.

If I did use serious threats, I'd let the Scoobies have serious skills and maybe superskills or talents to keep them alive. No fun in a real campaign if you just kill everyone in the first scene.

And yes, I remember that Venture Bros episode. :D

I've had the Scoobies show up as NPCs, both in something close to their original forms and as burned out, PTSD suffering adults. Could be fun to run a convention game with them. Not sure how long a campaign would last, though.

The real trick as GM would be to remember that the bad guys don't actually want to kill the kids, just to scare them. That means no actual street gangs, no real mobsters, no hungry actual monsters; just fairly meek grifters in masks.

Of course, a very funny and incredibly dark game could be had by letting the Scoobies loose in a crack house, or having them wander into a Slasher movie. Just make sure you have player buy in first.

If I did use serious threats, I'd let the Scoobies have serious skills and maybe superskills or talents to keep them alive. No fun in a real campaign if you just kill everyone in the first scene.

for instance the live action scooby movies had daphne being a taekwando student[as a nod to sarah michelle gellar who played her]so one of mystery inc could defend herself speaking of which you could have them be felow member of a martial arts school who are also amateur detectives

Ragdoll' date=' where the heck did you get that quote?:eek: As someone who's actually involved with a Patty it's kinda...:hush:[/quote']

It's from the Venture Bros version of the Scooby gang. Ted is an analog of Ted Bundy, Patty is Patty Hearst, Val is the lesbian that shot Andy Warhol, and Shaggy is the Son of Sam. Scooby is a junkyard mutt, but Shaggy believes he can talk (and that Scoob wants Shaggy to be the blood-drenched sword of G_d).

A great and twisted take on the gang's "adventures".

• 4 weeks later...

Never run a campaign with them, but I have seen char sheets for them all on The Great Net Book Of Real Heroes. The links are:

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Fred_Jones-jd.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Daphne_Blake-jd.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Velma_Dinkley-jd.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Norville_Rogers-jd.txt

http://www.sysabend.org/champions/gnborh/text/Scoobert_Doo-jd.txt

I think that they are written in 4th Ed but should be easy enough to adapt to 5th Ed..... :D

-Carl-