Interdimensional stories

BobGreenwade

I'm working up some materials on extra-dimensional stories, and while I have more than adequate non-fiction resources I'm in need of movies and (to a lesser extent) novels with the feature of parallel worlds.

I don't need anything on mystical worlds, in large part because that's covered quite well in The Mystic World; I also think I'm pretty secure on superhero stories (focusing on DC's various Crisis titles, Marvel's Exiles, and the DC/Marvel and DC/Milestone company crossovers). That's why I'm posting this here, and not in the Fantasy Hero or Champions forums.

I also don't mind mentions of TV series. I already have most of the obvious ones like Farscape, Sliders, and Star Trek, along with not-quite-so-obvious entries like Doctor Who, Primeval, Quantum Leap, and Stargate SG-1.

For any recommended novels, please cite some feature that either well exemplifies the concept or does something very different.

(Admins: if you feel the need to move this to a different forum, like NGD, I request that you wait until Tuesday. I posted this here so I could find it easily.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Interdimensional stories

In classic SF, the first alternate worlds story was Jenkins' (pen name Leinster) "Sideways in Time," published in Astounding SF in the late 30's.

More accessible stories/novels are H. Beam Piper's paratime series, Andre Norton's (or Alice Mary Norton's) Crossroads of Time and Quest Crosstime (and her Witchworld series if you don't count it as mystical), and of course Keith Laumer's Worlds of the Imperium and its sequels.

There was Larry Niven's "The Return of William Proxmire"' date=' if shunting history onto a new track counts... Proxmire travels back in time to inject Heinlein with antibiotics, and inadvertently ensures a vigorous space-based culture back in our own time :D[/quote']

I loved that one!

I loved that one!

And it would have worked if Heinlein were actually suffering from tuberculosis and not sickle cell condition.

What?

I loved that one!

And it would have worked if Heinlein were actually suffering from tuberculosis and not sickle cell condition.

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle_cell_trait

Here's the best result I can find breaking down the potential for misdiagnosing splenic infarction as peritonitis as in Heinlein's 1970 health crisis.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/acute_appendicitis/book-diseases-11b.htm

Unlike peritonitis, splenic infarction is likely to lead to substantial transfusions over an extended period of time.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/193718-treatment

Continuing on the 1970 health crisis, Heinlein is known to have had a rare blood group that prevented him from receiving transfusions from many sources. This is often assumed to be one of the rarer ABO groups, such as the type B- (IIRC) blood type of the protagonist of I Will Fear No Evil. This is a misunderstanding of how transfusion/donation works, and the more likely candidate a priori is Duffy, associated with sickle cell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duffy_antigen

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_blood_group_systems

On the improbability of Heinlein having tuberculosis in the early 1930s, note that the average length of stay at a tuberculosis sanatorium was quite long, peaking at a year in the 1950s.

http://www.lung.ca/tb/tbhistory/sanatoriums/

He seems to have been diagnosed and discharged in 1934, and was active campaigning in the same year, implying a maxium length of santorium stay of 1 January 1934--1 November. There's more than enough wiggle room in the timeline, though, given its imprecision. But it is extremely unlikely that he had a mild case of tuberculosis, given that he was not taken up for active service in 1942. This would imply serious lung scarring --or something else.

Holy Moley, that sure used up a good chunk of procrastinating time!

Hmm, the Back to the Future movies featured alternate versions of the same reality via time travel, as long as you don't mind the rubber science involved.

Futurama did an episode of parallel universes inside boxes.

There was a series back in '82, called Voyagers, in which a man and boy travel through time to keep history on track.

I was able to find a volume with the Niven story in it, and request that my local library obtain it for me. They also have The City & The City, and I've placed a hold request (though there are several people in line ahead of me).

I also recall reading a novel many years ago, author and title both forgotten, in which two worlds existed side-by-side, one based on science and the other on magic. Everyone in either world had a counterpart in the other. The protagonist, as I recall, was a slave in the science world whose counterpart in the magic world did his work by singing; the magic singer was dead, but the slave could do his magic in his place. Does anyone know the story I'm talking about here?

I also recall reading a novel many years ago' date=' author and title both forgotten, in which two worlds existed side-by-side, one based on science and the other on magic. Everyone in either world had a counterpart in the other. The protagonist, as I recall, was a slave in the science world whose counterpart in the magic world did his work by singing; the magic singer was dead, but the slave could do his magic in his place. Does anyone know the story I'm talking about here?[/quote']

It's the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony.

Quest For Love, starring Joan Collins. Based on a story by John Wyndham, who also gave us Day Of The Triffids and The Midwich Cuckoos, better known as Village Of The Damned.

From IMDB--

After a scientific experiment goes horribly wrong during a demonstration, a scientist finds himself trapped in an alternate reality that bears some similarities to our own, but also has some striking differences. In this other reality the Second World War had never occurred, mankind had not yet traveled into Space and Mt. Everest had not yet been conquered, just to name a few things. Also in this other reality he is no longer a scientist but rather a well known author. He also finds that he is married to a beautiful woman who he instantly falls in love with but who his alternate self never cared for. He has some difficulty convincing anyone that he is not actually who they think he is. With the help of a physics professor who believes his story, he finally manages to convince his 'wife' that he is not the man she knew before. After a personal tragedy in this alternate world, he finds himself back in his own world and desperately trying to locate the woman he fell in love with in the other world. Little does she know, however, that her life depends on him finding her.

I saw this movie many years ago--nicely done. Good Luck finding it though--I searched NetFlix and Family Video's sites and neither of them had it. Someone else might, though.

EDIT: Found it on DVD here--http://www.sell.com/23Z6SM--Doesn't look like a studio release, though. Buyer Beware.

'Doc Sidhe' and sequel 'Sidhe Devil'

- Involved travel between "our" present-day Earth and an interesting parallel world with fantasy overtones and some VERY pulpish elements. Written by this guy called Aaron Allston, who some may recall having a minor connection with 'Champions'. ;)

'The Secret Sea' by (I think) Thomas Monteleone.

- I think this book is out of print, but it was a dern good read, featuring travel between various alternate worlds via a complicated series of natural gates. Worth it just to find out what Captain Nemo's REAL name is.

'Worlds Of The Imperium' by Keith Laumer.

- Another good read.

Special mention should go to Harry Turtledove's 'Crosstime' books, of which I have only read 'The Gladiator'.

It's the Apprentice Adept series by Piers Anthony.
Thank you! :thumbup:
Quest For Love' date=' starring Joan Collins. Based on a story by John Wyndham, who also gave us [i']Day Of The Triffids[/i] and The Midwich Cuckoos, better known as Village Of The Damned.
I was able to find a short story collection that included "Random Quest," on which the movie was based.
'Doc Sidhe' and sequel 'Sidhe Devil'

- Involved travel between "our" present-day Earth and an interesting parallel world with fantasy overtones and some VERY pulpish elements. Written by this guy called Aaron Allston, who some may recall having a minor connection with 'Champions'. ;)

'The Secret Sea' by (I think) Thomas Monteleone.

- I think this book is out of print, but it was a dern good read, featuring travel between various alternate worlds via a complicated series of natural gates. Worth it just to find out what Captain Nemo's REAL name is.

'Worlds Of The Imperium' by Keith Laumer.

- Another good read.

Special mention should go to Harry Turtledove's 'Crosstime' books, of which I have only read 'The Gladiator'.

I have "Doc Sidhe" and "Worlds of the Imperium" on order now. "The Secret Sea" was a bit of a challenge, but I also have it requested -- and yes, you got the author right.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! Do keep them coming! :thumbup:

James P. Hogan has a novel called "Paths to Otherwhere" which I found to be very enjoyable and intriguing.

Here is the summary from Publishers Weekly:

The possibility of moving a person's consciousness between our world and others comes alive as Hogan (The Immortality Option), a dean of hard SF, parlays a standard SF gambit into an entertaining, imaginative yarn. The near-future Earth envisioned here is both familiar and dystopian. Current problems have festered until resources are scarce, scientific discoveries are governmentally controlled, Western culture is globally despised and the Earth teeters on the brink of violent disaster. The plot focuses on a group of scientists working at a secret laboratory in Los Alamos. There, they are experimenting with QUADAR, a machine that "enhances" mental faculties, allowing for a heightened sense of truth and a knowledge of the possible paths the future may take; these revelations in turn lead the scientist to a method for scientifically exploring alternative worlds. While the plot starts off dryly, emphasizing the possibilities that QUADAR creates, the pace quickens when the protagonists discover an otherworld intellectual utopia, and as they fight to keep that paradise free from violent takeover by evil politicians. Readers awed by explorations of either inner or outer space will want to sign up for this ride.

There was The Crossroads of Time and Quest Crosstime by Andre Norton (collected as "Crosstime")

H. Beam Piper's Paratime series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paratime_series

All of an Instant by Richard Garfinkle

http://www.sfsite.com/10b/all67.htm

Twistor by John Cramer (contains a nasty way of using parallel universe as a hand to hand weapon)

http://faculty.washington.edu/jcramer/Twistor.html

Ring Around the Sun by Clifford Simak

The Big Time by Fritz Leiber

The Corridors of Time by Poul Anderson

A Greater Infinity by Michael McCollum

'Wildside' by Steven Gould (the writer of 'Jumper'). Teenager finds a doorway to another Earth (one lacking hominids) hidden on the farm of his late uncle. With his closest friends, he seeks to make use of it, with the inevitable complications from various quarters - including discovering the gate's true purpose.

'All These Earths' by F M Busby. Humanity has developed an FTL drive, one that eventually turns out to have an unexpected side effect. Basically, if this drive is run at a high enough power setting for long enough, the Earth you return to may not be the one that you left.

'Patton's Spaceship' by John Barnes. Also two sequels - 'Washington's Dirigible' and 'Caesar's Bicycle'. Personally, I like the first one best, but the sequels are OKish. P.I. / Bodyguard from "our" Earth stumbles into a cross-dimensional war. He ends up stranded on a world where the bad guys helped the Nazis to win ww2, it's now the late '50s and the remnants of the Allies are putting up a last-ditch fight in SE Asia. Some very VERY cool sections - such as the story of "their" Battle of Britain and the creation of the Free Zone, and the book's first appearance of the USS Arizona. In the sequels, the guy has become a full-time agent for the good guys, with the inevitable adventures.

'The Guns Of The South' by Harry Turtledove. Classic AH / time travel novel, but worth mentioning here. A group from the future seeks to change history so that the Confederates win the US Civil War, mainly by equipping their army with an incredible weapon called the AK-47. Told mainly from the viewpoint of General Lee and one of his frontline soldiers. Good stuff.

At worst, it's worth exploring. More likely, it's a good starting point with other helpful links. I'm printing it out for reference. :cool:

I just checked alibris and found 84 copies, ranging in price from $1.99 to $10.00 (plus shipping.)

Address is:

http://www.alibris.com/

That address gave me the info I needed. Thanks! :thumbup:

Niven had a few short stories that involved traveling between dimensions. "All the Myriad Ways" and' date=' "For a Foggy Night" are a couple of others.[/quote']

D'oh, forgot those! Very good, aren't they?

There were the Svetz stories too - 'Flight of the Horse' up to 'Rainbow Mars'

Based on the premise that since time travel is fantasy, if you travel far enough to start running into unicorns, werewolves, and Well's Martian Tripods. A few alternate realities too, such as the one where they accidentally disintegrate the prototype Model T and then have to deal with the Roc eating the elephant in the exhibit next door.

There's John Whitbourn's novels 'A Dangerous Energy' and

England, 1967: ruled by the power of the Catholic Church, as it has been since the failure of the Protestant Reformation. In this England there are steam trains, but no internal combustion engine; rifles but no electricity; heresy but no democracy.

And in this England, magic works.

Some fun ideas with demonology, and some wonderfully appalling lead characters.

His Down's Lord trilogy also fun