Interdimensional stories

BobGreenwade

Re: Interdimensional stories

D'oh, forgot those! Very good, aren't they?

There were the Svetz stories too - 'Flight of the Horse' up to 'Rainbow Mars'

Based on the premise that since time travel is fantasy, if you travel far enough to start running into unicorns, werewolves, and Well's Martian Tripods. A few alternate realities too, such as the one where they accidentally disintegrate the prototype Model T and then have to deal with the Roc eating the elephant in the exhibit next door.

All the ones he went to were alternates. We found that out in the last story.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working up some materials on extra-dimensional stories, and while I have more than adequate non-fiction resources I'm in need of movies and (to a lesser extent) novels with the feature of parallel worlds.

For any recommended novels, please cite some feature that either well exemplifies the concept or does something very different.

Does the Amber series count as mystical, because it also involves our world?

That being said, there's a series of novels by Charles Stoss known as the Merchant Princes series that deals with trade across alternate histories by bloodlines who are capable of such travel.

Also, Jane Jensen (author of the series of Gabriel Knight games) came out with a semi-mathematical/mystical novel titled Dante's Equation.

As for anthologies, there are many. You may wish to check out Sideways in Crime by Lou Anders (ed.) (Solaris, 2008) which includes Chris Roberson's fun, but somewhat rushed short story "Death on the Crosstime Express".

I hadn't considered the Amber series. I'd classify it as somewhere on the border between mystical and scientific, but in any event the way parallel worlds are used in the storytelling makes it worth at least a couple of mentions.

I'll take a look at Merchant Princes and Dante's Equation.

There's John Whitbourn's novels 'A Dangerous Energy' and

England, 1967: ruled by the power of the Catholic Church, as it has been since the failure of the Protestant Reformation. In this England there are steam trains, but no internal combustion engine; rifles but no electricity; heresy but no democracy.

And in this England, magic works.

Some fun ideas with demonology, and some wonderfully appalling lead characters.

His Down's Lord trilogy also fun

Oh, no, a country where Spain reimposed Catholicism! It would be full of stuffy people with strange accents drinking dark beer, medieval universities, coal mines and factories!

No, wait, that's Belgium.

"If the Armada had won, England would be a nightmare"=stupidest alternate reality ever. For Heaven's sake, look across the Channel!

Agreed.

What has that to do with the post that you you quoted?

Well, obviously you can get to "England is backwards 'cuz it's still Catholic" with scenarios other than the Armada winning, but the point remains that it's stupid. It's not that there's an argument to be made, via Merton and Weber, just that Belgium kinda refutes it.

Well' date=' obviously you can get to "England is backwards 'cuz it's still Catholic" with scenarios other than the Armada winning, but the point remains that it's stupid. It's not that there's an argument to be made, via Merton and Weber, just that Belgium kinda refutes it.[/quote']

But the scenario was the "failure of the protestant reformation."

You don't think that could (not would, COULD) have made any difference to the world's technological advancement?

But the scenario was the "failure of the protestant reformation."

You don't think that could (not would, COULD) have made any difference to the world's technological advancement?

In a word, no. Not in itself. The modern world was quite sufficiently determined the day Columbus got back to Spain --if not before.

Oh, no, a country where Spain reimposed Catholicism! It would be full of stuffy people with strange accents drinking dark beer, medieval universities, coal mines and factories!

No, wait, that's Belgium.

"If the Armada had won, England would be a nightmare"=stupidest alternate reality ever. For Heaven's sake, look across the Channel!

Nope, Armada not involved - Guy Fawkes successfully blew up Parliament ( and was canonised for it. )

and oddly enough, the Catholic England WAS full of stuffy people with strange accents drinking dark beer, medieval universities, coal mines and factories!

I love this series. Came on the CDs included with some of my Honor Harrington hardcovers.

In short, in a coal mining town in West Virginia circa 2000, as a wedding is occuring, that town is suddenly exchanged with a burned down German village from 1631 under unknown natural circumstances.

Now, stuck in the past and creating an alternate future, these former citizens of the United States of America are gonna bring freedom and democracy to Europe and do their best to stop the genocide between nominally Protestant and Catholic forces.

Sadly, someone gave Cardinal Richelou some of the history books from the American's school. Richelou has united English and Spanish forces to stop that future from happening at all costs, and to preserve the power of the monarchy.

Fortunately, Sweden allies with the newly formed United States (Town plus German provinces that join a Federation).

Sweet series.

Kudos also for remembering The Apprentice Adept series. Loved the Rovot Adept and Piers Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also check out The Cross-time engineer series by Leo Frankowski.

"From Wikipedia...

Cross-Time Engineer series

The Conrad Stargard series, in which a twentieth-century engineer travels back in time to thirteenth-century Poland."

Very good read in my honest opinon

• 2 weeks later...

The City and The City by China Mieville.
Just finished this one. While fairly well written, I really don't see much in the way of "parallel universes," except for the artificially-enforced separation of two cities occupying the same physical space. (Of course, there may be more to it; the ending left room for a sequel.)

However, I'm resurrecting the thread largely to mention that I'm at a point where any magazine or journal articles anyone knows about would be well received. Also, of course, any movies.

Just finished this one. While fairly well written, I really don't see much in the way of "parallel universes," except for the artificially-enforced separation of two cities occupying the same physical space. (Of course, there may be more to it; the ending left room for a sequel.)

However, I'm resurrecting the thread largely to mention that I'm at a point where any magazine or journal articles anyone knows about would be well received. Also, of course, any movies.

The Matrix triology can fit in for movies. Maybe the Labrynth.

CES

No, it's more a study of how societies would function if there was some interchange between alternate dimensions.

The Matrix triology can fit in for movies. Maybe the Labrynth.
I'm not sure those would fit' date=' really. The Matrix triology [i']could[/i] warrant a mention for "cyberspace as an alternate reality" (and is sometimes cited as a watered-down example of the theory that our entire universe is an alien civilization's computer simulation), but Labyrinth (IIRC) is more of a mystical world rather than scientific.

I'm not sure those would fit' date=' really. The Matrix triology [i']could[/i] warrant a mention for "cyberspace as an alternate reality" (and is sometimes cited as a watered-down example of the theory that our entire universe is an alien civilization's computer simulation), but Labyrinth (IIRC) is more of a mystical world rather than scientific.

The only other ones I can think of are time travel movies and I don't think they match what you want.

CES