Nebula from Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks p.184-186

TheQuestionMan

Greetings Programs, I am building a Galactic Champions campaign and need some help. While Nebula is a Standard Champions level character she could easily be upgraded to Galactic Champions level. But, I need some questions answered first.

Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63121

Nebula (Tayina Mathet u-Vareeta Hoki) Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks p.184-186

???

While not on the same power level as a Galactic Champions character she does posses the feel.

Vibron (fka: Shamareeth) p.196-198

???

Debrel IV, Andromeda Galaxy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

Tel'Narian Guard

What Empire does this group represent?

Duress (Phantom Zone)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Zone

Yuun'ta Technology

Debrel IV (ATI 13++)

Republican Authority

How does she justify having any authority without a Galactic Community nod or The Milky Way Galaxy?

The Supreme Code of Justice

???

Cheers

QM

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Nebula from Conquerors, Killers, & Crooks p.184-186

Was she not from another Galaxy ?

Andromeda I think.

That's part of the key. Nebula has no connection to any Milky Way galactic power. Her "Republic" is Andromedan, as is the criminal she pursued to this galaxy, Vibron.

Nebula has no authority from any of the Milky Way interstellar powers, let alone those on Earth; but according to her background, it wouldn't even occur to her that she needs it. Nebula was so thoroughly conditioned by her Republic to uphold their legal code she does it automatically, and thinks it's self-evident that this is the only way to treat lawbreakers.

Regarding Duress, there are a few more details about it in the outtakes from CKC in Digital Hero #5.

In my own present-day Champions campaign I made Nebula and her parent organization extra-dimensional rather than extra-galactic, part of the empire of Istvatha V'han. Duress strikes me as just the sort of prison Istvatha would have both the means and the will to create. Nebula became an object lesson as to why the rule of V'han, while benevolent and beneficial in some ways, might still be less than desirable.

Great idea, LL!

Nebula was the McGuffin for my first 5E campaign. The Champions had disappeared, along with their HQ and the hemispherical section of land upon which it resided. At the same time, a dozen supervillains appeared in its place - villains who had not been seen for some time.

Turns out, Defender had eventually convinced Nebula that her Duress gun was too powerful a weapon for her to weild outside her own galaxy, and they were working together to dismantle it. Something went wrong, and a section of our world traded places with a section of Duress. It took my heroes a couple of years to work through the clues and find a way to rescue the Champions and Nebula from Duress.

Is there any answer to what superhero Nebula sent to Duress in her first adventure? The villain she initially sentenced there seemed made up, so I assumed the hero was as well, but I was curious.

Has anyone ever returned from Duress?

Her weapon seems like an instant kill that is permanent.

Is there any answer to what superhero Nebula sent to Duress in her first adventure? The villain she initially sentenced there seemed made up, so I assumed the hero was as well, but I was curious.

Has anyone ever returned from Duress?

Her weapon seems like an instant kill that is permanent.

The villain was 'Blackfire', but no name is mentioned for the hero.

There is no mention of anyone 'returning' from Duress, but if the sentence for 'bank robbery' is only 50yrs, presumably return is possible.

Not sure if she's in CO (haven't played, not likely to), but her Duress Guantlets are Extra-Dimensional Movement used as an attack in more standard game terms. She basically transports her target someplace else, which they cannot (in theory) escape from.

There's also a reference to "Keepers" as I recall, who would be the jailers and wardens in the prison that is Duress.

They might be Robots, Incorporeal Intelligences, or just Civil Servants who put in a shift and then go home. Or something else I haven't thought of. But they presumably hold the keys, so to speak.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if the word wasn't meant to be "Durance"

Duress

1. compulsion by threat or force; coercion; constraint.

2. Law. such constraint or coercion as will render void a contract or other legal act entered or performed under its influence.

3. forcible restraint, esp. imprisonment.

Durance

1. incarceration or imprisonment (often used in the phrase durance vile).

2. Archaic. endurance.

Hmmm. both certainly work within the context...

(Yeah, you got me wondering enough to look them up... :D)

There's also a reference to "Keepers" as I recall, who would be the jailers and wardens in the prison that is Duress.

They might be Robots, Incorporeal Intelligences, or just Civil Servants who put in a shift and then go home. Or something else I haven't thought of. But they presumably hold the keys, so to speak.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if the word wasn't meant to be "Durance"

According to the aforementioned details about Duress from DH #5, the Keepers are powerful humanoid robots (very powerful Automatons) who periodically capture an inmate "for torture commensurate with his sentence." The article includes game stats for them.

According to the aforementioned details about Duress from DH #5' date=' the Keepers are powerful humanoid robots (very powerful Automatons) who periodically capture an inmate "for torture commensurate with his sentence." The article includes game stats for them.[/quote']

Then when someone's sentence is up, presumably the Keepers locate that person and take them out of Duress - if they're still alive (since I get the impression that the inmates aren't protected from one another)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders if they're sent back to where they were, or just dumped out somewhere lightyears from home

Duress details

Steve Long has generously given me permission to post the information about Duress from DH #5, minus the game stats for the Keepers:

Duress, the prison-realm described in the main text, is a hellish, artificially-constructed dimension built by the Republic. Suffused with energies which keep its “inhabitants” alive without the need to eat or drink, it’s a rocky, uncomfortable land. In places it’s as hot as a desert; elsewhere, it’s as cold as a glacier. Mildly acidic rains and fierce storms lash it from time to time.

Duress is “home” to hundreds of Andromedan superhuman criminals captured by the Republic and sentenced to reside there for specified periods of time (many permanently). They have formed societies not dissimilar to Human prison gangs, fighting among themselves for what few comforts and resources the place provides. The most prominent leaders among the inmates are Starbreaker (a powerful energy projector), Phasar (a shapeshifter), Blackrock (an earth-manipulating brick), and Slowpoke (a speedster). Each of them hates the others bitterly, and would leap at any chance to eliminate his rivals.

Periodically, each inmate is captured by the Keepers, fearsome, almost indestructible robot guards, for torture commensurate with his sentence. Keepers are dark grey humanoid robots about eight feet tall and proportionately broad. Small spikes stud their shoulders, lower arms, the front of their “boots,” and their “belts.” They have two fingers and a thumb on each hand.

Nebula was the McGuffin for my first 5E campaign. The Champions had disappeared, along with their HQ and the hemispherical section of land upon which it resided. At the same time, a dozen supervillains appeared in its place - villains who had not been seen for some time.

Turns out, Defender had eventually convinced Nebula that her Duress gun was too powerful a weapon for her to weild outside her own galaxy, and they were working together to dismantle it. Something went wrong, and a section of our world traded places with a section of Duress. It took my heroes a couple of years to work through the clues and find a way to rescue the Champions and Nebula from Duress.

Excellent premise for a story arc. (I'll have to owe you Rep for this. :( )

Someone who figures out how to crack Duress could potentially recruit a small army of superhumans.

Returning to the topic of Nebula herself, and TheQuestionMan's original inquiry re using her in a Galactic Champions campaign: besides upgrading her power level, I recommend making most of her equipment-based abilities other than her Duress Gauntlets innate powers instead. As it stands the first time she's captured or has her Foci attacked, she can easily be deprived of most of her Defenses and Movement capability. Nebula already possesses formidable personal "Thrombalic Energy Manipulation" abilities, so the precedent is there to put more of her Powers into that category.

Good way to start a Galactic Champions campaign. The Superheroes cross swords with Nebula and are sent to Duress where first they struggle to survive and then to escape.

Now they find themselves in the Andromeda Galaxy, fugitives of the Tel'Narian Guard, but still Heroes.

Cheers

QM

yes indeed tqm very good indeed

i woder if nebula has no legal standing on earth wouldnt any terrans she banished to durres be KIDNAPPING VICTIMS at that point?

That's why she's in a villain book.

I've always found it funny that it's never once occured to her that she's lightyears outside her jurisdiction and that sending people to Duress willy-nilly and stepping on the toes of the local authorities is just asking for trouble. But I guess she's just arrogant that way.

I've always found it funny that it's never once occured to her that she's lightyears outside her jurisdiction and that sending people to Duress willy-nilly and stepping on the toes of the local authorities is just asking for trouble. But I guess she's just arrogant that way.

My money is on "arrogant."

From CKC p. 186: "Through advanced genetic and bioneural engineering, the Republic has hardwired her to understand and enforce the Code of Supreme Justice (a.k.a. "The Supreme Code"), a body of criminal and penological laws that prescribe harsh punishments for even the most trivial of offenses. She believes, with a faith as strong as that of the most pious saint, and logic as inviolable as a computer's, that she is appointed and authorized to enforce the Supreme Code."

Rather pitiable, actually.

From CKC p. 186: "Through advanced genetic and bioneural engineering, the Republic has hardwired her to understand and enforce the Code of Supreme Justice (a.k.a. "The Supreme Code"), a body of criminal and penological laws that prescribe harsh punishments for even the most trivial of offenses. She believes, with a faith as strong as that of the most pious saint, and logic as inviolable as a computer's, that she is appointed and authorized to enforce the Supreme Code."

Rather pitiable, actually.

Yep. I'm guessing it never occurred to the Republic that one of their enforcers might find herself outside her jurisdiction. If Nebula ever gets sent home, maybe they should look into things like that...