What Genre book Reprint are you most anticipating?

redwulfe

Re: What Genre book Reprint are you most anticipating?

Correction -- Western Hero.

I'm pretty sure Steve has said that while he'd love to do a Western-themed book, it wouldn't sell well enough to make the investment worthwhile.

But... you never know.

My recollection as well. He wouldn't do it if he couldn't do it right, and doing it right would take a fair amount of his time. And for the most part Western themed games don't sell particularly well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not really looking forward to any of the genre books. I find much more value in core books that expand the system like Ultimate Skill, Ultimate Martial Artist, etc. Ultimate Base could be interesting; that's the next one I'm looking forward to.

I am primarily a fantasy player and very behind the times in the rules. I have a lot to catch up on. So Fantasy Hero is certainly the one I would be most interested in. The copy of Fantasy Hero that I have on my shelf is the first printing. ;-) That said, by the time it comes out, I expect I will be fully caught up, thanks to the efforts of Killer Shrike and others who create so much content and share it with us on line.

Correction -- Western Hero.

I'm pretty sure Steve has said that while he'd love to do a Western-themed book, it wouldn't sell well enough to make the investment worthwhile.

But... you never know.

I know it was Western Hero 4th ed (one of my favourite hero products ever) but I think Cowboy Hero would be a better name.

The other thing I'd like to see is War Hero!

A look at WWII. The main players, troop types, weaponary, tactics.

A bit like Western Hero in layout with real life charcter write ups and advice and running a campaign for a squad etc.

I'd like an overview of what happened and why, some maps of important actions and the like.

Yeah, Western Hero not having made 5e at all makes it the most anticipated, but sadly looks like it's not to be so Hero System Rules and Kenzer's Aces & Eights stuff looks like as close as I'll come to seeing that one :((unless I can win a lottery and commission Steve Long to write it profits be damned!)

Horror Hero is the other huge genre that 5e inexplicably skipped over, but hopefully 6e won't be as negligent in that regard.

Fantasy Hero is, of course, the big one (for me much much bigger than Champions) but at least that one at least I know will come to 6e.

Those are the big 3 for me, but Kanzei 5 and Martial Hero are close behind. The suggestion for War Hero is a great one though that would be impossible to resist.

War Hero? I think that is a great idea. I would probably not call it War Hero though. I thinks a series of books that have historical information to supplement the current lines is very good though. If Golden age heroes ever comes out then a supplement dedicated to WWII would be a great buy, especially if it gives Hero states to all of the vehicle sand weapons of the time.

Red

Yeah' date=' [i']Western Hero[/i] not having made 5e at all makes it the most anticipated, but sadly looks like it's not to be so Hero System Rules and Kenzer's Aces & Eights stuff looks like as close as I'll come to seeing that one :((unless I can win a lottery and commission Steve Long to write it profits be damned!)

Horror Hero is the other huge genre that 5e inexplicably skipped over, but hopefully 6e won't be as negligent in that regard.

There wasn't a 5E Horror Hero for several reasons. One is that Steve said he didn't feel confident writing such as book (I don't think horror is his thing). Two, the one person they know could do a great job, Kenneth Hite, didn't feel he know Hero well enough to do it justice. So, Darren is going to develop the book.

Fantasy Hero is, of course, the big one (for me much much bigger than Champions) but at least that one at least I know will come to 6e.

Those are the big 3 for me, but Kanzei 5 and Martial Hero are close behind. The suggestion for War Hero is a great one though that would be impossible to resist.

It's "Kazei" 5. Also, there will be no Ninja Hero/Martial Hero for 6E. What there will be is Hero System Martial Arts, which will be one of the core 6E books (the others being the 6E rules, the Advanced Players Guide, the Hero System Bestiary, and the Hero System Equipment Guide... and maybe some other stuff).

Just a question on the hero system martial arts book. Are you (Susano and Steve Long) going have a thread on the dicussion board for our input? Its not that I don't think you two are great writers, I just have some suggestions I'd like to post. Whether or not you use them is a different story. :)

Sure but Farmer Hero just doesnae do it for me somehow ;)

Consider that Cowboys are generally a Post-Civil War thing, you only catch half the nineteenth cetury.

Western Hero evokes Cowboys & Outlaws, but you can move it around a bit;

-You can slice American Steampunk (as opposed to Victorian Steampunk) anywhere from 1802-1900 (Louisianna Purchase onwards and Manifest Destiny).

-Civil War, the 1860s have all kinds of fun things you can do that aren't Wild West.

-Western Expansion, dealing with European Settlers and Indians. From both sides of that equation.

-The Long Depression during the 1880s and 1890s probably isn't the best gaming fodder, but it gave rise to the Haunted Victorian Manor myths we have today. So you can slice in a sort of Western Horror note there.

Is there a list of the Hero Genre books that are currently being planned?

I don't think there's a list, but I know Steve has said they probably won't be redoing Pulp; and are definitely redoing Champions and Fantasy. I think they're also updating Star Hero and Dark Champions; though I don't know where the last one stands since Crypitc owns "Dark Champions" and that the 5E book definitely was not superheroes.

Just a question on the hero system martial arts book. Are you (Susano and Steve Long) going have a thread on the dicussion board for our input? Its not that I don't think you two are great writers' date=' I just have some suggestions I'd like to post. Whether or not you use them is a different story. :)[/quote']

As far as I know, no. However, you could post such a question to Steve and let him decide.

I don't think there's a list' date=' but I know Steve has said they probably won't be redoing Pulp; and are definitely redoing Champions and Fantasy. I think they're also updating Star Hero and Dark Champions; though I don't know where the last one stands since Crypitc owns "Dark Champions" and that the 5E book definitely was not superheroes.[/quote']

Darren is developing Horror Hero and Golden Age of Champions.

OK, let me clear up a few misconceptions and provide additional useful info. ;)

I'm already working on a new Champions, and FH has already been announced. We will definitely redo Star Hero. Horror Hero is sort of in the works, but at this point is more likely to remain a "when it's done we'll put it on a schedule, and not before" sort of project to keep deadline pressure off the authors, who have other responsibilities that are more important.

We don't have any specific plans at this point to re-do Dark Champions, since I don't think a rework is crucial. Ultimately it's likely to depend on what Cryptic does and wants; if they begin a major focus on Hudson City at some point, revamping the DC stuff becomes more likely.

We have no plans to re-do Pulp Hero at this point; it's relatively rules-light and really doesn't need it. If and when we run out of copies, we might consider it.

As I've said many times, I would love (love, love, love) to do Western Hero. unfortunately it wouldn't come close to earning the money it would have to earn to justify the 3-4 months it would take to write -- in less than a month I could write a Champions or FH supplement that would be easier to create and sell much better. (And please don't suggest that I delegate some of the work or research to others; even if that were feasible [and it isn't], it absolutely is not going to happen.) If we changed the title (which we're not going to do), it would be to Gunslinger Hero; I don't think "Cowboy Hero" works well as a title.

All of that I said about WH applies to Victorian Hero as well.

Cyber Hero would be fairly easy to do and will probably make it onto a schedule at some point. In fact, I've already done some research, though it's been sidelined by FH research.

Hope that helps. ;)

As I've said many times' date=' I would love (love, love, love) to do Western Hero. unfortunately it wouldn't come close to earning the money it would have to earn to justify the 3-4 months it would take to write -- in less than a month I could write a Champions or FH supplement that would be easier to create and sell much better. (And please don't suggest that I delegate some of the work or research to others; even if that were feasible [and it isn't'], it absolutely is not going to happen.) If we changed the title (which we're not going to do), it would be to Gunslinger Hero; I don't think "Cowboy Hero" works well as a title.

All of that I said about WH applies to Victorian Hero as well.

This might make a goood Sticky - it seems like you get to re-post this every few months.