Teleportation [Usable as Attack]

acide_bob

Ok here's the deal i always expected my character to think about it, if at least to get rid of some really pain in the ass nemesis for a few rounds.

and now came up this evil combination for teleportation i thought would show up one day:

Teleportation level 1 (5pts)

Reduced Endurance (0) (+1/2)

Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4)

Ranged (+1/2)

Usable as Attack (+1 1/4)

Transdimensional (limited to one dimension) (+1/2)

Total: 15 pts (unless i don't understand how to add everything up)

So as far as i can tell on ranged attack this character can send anyone in another dimension (in this case Hell) for a half phase action (attack). So basically this guy can get rid of everyone he wants and send them to hell. And yes we're playing a superheroic genre, in my setting there not that much toons that can get in and out of hell easily.

So quick question: How do i deal with that?

I know the first answer is to not permit it simply that i intend to do. But let's we're all are storyteller and with intend to let that player use that but can't let that go for 15 pts, how would we deal with that to be fair?

Re: Teleportation [usable as Attack]

Transdimensional means you could teleport someone on another 'plane', not that you could teleport someone to another 'plane': as Beast says, use EDM.

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) (55 Active Points)

The cost is chunkier but even so, EDM is a STOP power for a reason, and I'd be VERY wary of letting a PC get his or her hands on this - it would make most combats pretty boring, the cardinal sin.

Teleportation level 1 (5pts)

Reduced Endurance (0) (+1/2)

Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4)

Ranged (+1/2)

Usable as Attack (+1 1/4)

Transdimensional (limited to one dimension) (+1/2)

Total: 15 pts (unless i don't understand how to add everything up)

Fixing your math: The formula is Base Points * (1 + Advantages).

I'm not entirely sure what Teleportation Level 1 actually means, but we'll just go with the 5 Base Points (5m Teleportation).

5 * (1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/2 + 1 1/4 + 1/2) = 5 * 4 = 20 Active Points.

Others have already pointed out that Transdimensional lets you affect acorss dimensions, not move across dimensions. Use EDM.

Oh thx Ghost Angel. Forgot the basic 1+everything else... i feel dumb.

and thx everyone to actually make me notice that you have to use EDM for the effect wanted, i think it would have taken quite a long time before i noticed it really by myself.

Yeah i know it wouldn't be good in the hand of a player. I mean, if i let him go with that i expect him to more or less always send to hell any enemy that prove a bit hard to fight.

Nah forget it, found what's wrong... at my job we would say it's a code 18... the problem is 18 inches away from the screen.

crap i shouldn't use character builder when i'm sleep deprived...

Without checking i had in mind that it was 5 points for every 1meter movement for teleport, and of course the truth is that it is 1 for 1. so when everything add up it's actually 6 points cost total...

so right now i'm going to just stop posting and catch some sleep.

If you let the player have an EDM power to send other people to hell, you need to constrain it in some way so that the player can't use it willy-nilly. If the player is good about staying in character this could be as simple as a strong Psychological Complication; sending people to hell is a morality call that most humans aren't fit to make.

Personally I would want something stronger than that. Maybe it takes a long time to activate or requires an extensive ritual. Maybe it costs x10 END and requires Concentrate so he will only use it as a last resort in combat. Maybe the Side Effects are so egregious that he is loathe to use it (anything from a BDY Drain to becoming possessed by a demon for a time). Maybe it has all those problems.

You should mention to the player that in the comics transdimensional travel is not a casual affair except for the most cosmically powerful individuals. This power should not be casual either. Don't forbid the power necessarily, but work with the player to figure out why the special effects of the power won't ruin the balance in the game.

Have Satan get mad and spank the player for sending uninvited mortals to his realm

If you let the player have an EDM power to send other people to hell, you need to constrain it in some way so that the player can't use it willy-nilly. If the player is good about staying in character this could be as simple as a strong Psychological Complication; sending people to hell is a morality call that most humans aren't fit to make.

Personally I would want something stronger than that. Maybe it takes a long time to activate or requires an extensive ritual. Maybe it costs x10 END and requires Concentrate so he will only use it as a last resort in combat. Maybe the Side Effects are so egregious that he is loathe to use it (anything from a BDY Drain to becoming possessed by a demon for a time). Maybe it has all those problems.

You should mention to the player that in the comics transdimensional travel is not a casual affair except for the most cosmically powerful individuals. This power should not be casual either. Don't forbid the power necessarily, but work with the player to figure out why the special effects of the power won't ruin the balance in the game.

Simple make it a requires a skill roll and side effects. If character fails the roll, HE goes to hell! :eek: Might make him think, well its tempting to send annoying man there, but what if I fail?

If you let the player have an EDM power to send other people to hell' date=' you need to constrain it in some way so that the player can't use it willy-nilly. If the player is good about staying in character this could be as simple as a strong Psychological Complication; sending people to hell is a morality call that most humans aren't fit to make. [/quote']

Make everyone you send come back 7 days later with an extra 100 points worth of demonic abilities?

Make everyone you send come back 7 days later with an extra 100 points worth of demonic abilities?

Oh yes, rep-worthy!

This could be a lot of fun to play, especially if it were a mystery limitation that the player didn't know the nature of. Certainly the devil could cut a deal with one of the victims to get revenge on the teleporter, the question is how many times would it have to happen before the player got wise?

Oh yes, rep-worthy!

This could be a lot of fun to play, especially if it were a mystery limitation that the player didn't know the nature of. Certainly the devil could cut a deal with one of the victims to get revenge on the teleporter, the question is how many times would it have to happen before the player got wise?

A combination might be interesting... everyone does come back 7 days later, but there is something strange about them. Not until the warrior beings from above pay a visit to the character, does it become obvious that there are now lots of people in Hell who really shouldn't be there, and a lot of demons loose on Earth, and our winged buddies from above rattle their swords because of the upset balance... what would your character do? ;)

If the players resolve this situation without ruffled feathers, then lots of people finally gets back to Earth - only they have 100 extra points of demonic abilities they bargained themselves into during all this. And so... do you think the guys from above now feel willing to help out here? ...or anyone...?

If the PCs somehow manage to get out of this and remove the demonic abilities from these people, it so happens that the contract they sealed is broken - guess who comes a-calling to cash in on these debts, and while he's here, conveniently pops in to resolve the penalty for the guy who actually started all of this...

Don't you also need to specify defenses that negate a Usable As Attack power? (I would assume that approach remains consistent from 5th edition to 6th.) The target possessing Extra-Dimensional Movement or Power Defense suggest themselves as the most likely choices.

for tactical use dont forget this attack power use full phase to achieve is effect

Actually...under the description of Teleport in the 6th ed book' date=' it specifically states that you CANNOT use the Extradimensional advantage with Telportation...so the point is moot.[/quote']

I would say that you could use Extradimensional on Teleport - but only if it's Usable On Others. Then you could Teleport someone in another space time continuum from one point to another within THAT space time continuum, but you still can't Teleport anyone (including yourself) from one such plane to another.

To do the kinds of things discussed in this thread you'd need Extra Dimensional Movement, Usable as Attack.

If you have Extra Dimensional Movement, Usable as Attack, TRANSDIMENSIONAL then you can move somebody in another reality into yet a third reality, and back.

But if you have Transdimensional on any Movement Power, including Teleportation, but not some form of Usable On Other, that does nothing because the only target for such a power is oneself, and how

Lucius Alexander

can one be in a different dimension from one's own self? On that note I'm getting out of here before the palindromedary tries to explain it to me.....

Too late - I actually see it now and it makes sense...sort of