VIPER Watch

HeroGM

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Superhero Physics. The same reason people can pick up buildings and battleships and they don't collapse under their own weight, speedsters don't catch fire from friction, and people with Growth don't break their own legs at maximum size. :)

I think I'll draw up the ultimate master supervillain, Real Physics Man. With a wave of his hand, he makes superhero physics go bye-bye. ;)

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Superhero Physics. The same reason people can pick up buildings and battleships and they don't collapse under their own weight, speedsters don't catch fire from friction, and people with Growth don't break their own legs at maximum size. :)

Obviously. I just wondered if an explanation was given as to how he moves. I was just curious. There are some things in the superhero world that are accepted as normal, and for some things there are wacky, yet interesting explanations given.

Originally posted by Starlord

Obviously. I just wondered if an explanation was given as to how he moves. I was just curious. There are some things in the superhero world that are accepted as normal, and for some things there are wacky, yet interesting explanations given.

From Halfjack's Background/History:

"The cyberneticists...replaced Jack's right-side skeletal structure with carbon steel, using the same substance to reinforce his remaining bones to handle the load."

So his flesh-and-blood half is enhanced, but not enough to give it actual powers.

I like the Viper 5e.

I got a chance to look over my swag copy late last night.

The characters are kind of not important to me/us. RDU has had 17 years to do all kinds of changes to those published dudes. Some are incarcerated, some are dead. So redux have less impact, and a name change, viola! new Viper super.

And while the history might not work in RDU, I really liked reading it. The international outlook as opposed to America-centric was logical and welcomed. Especially since when I co-run, I use Viper and I use in an internat'l context.

The gear and uniform stuff was a lot of fun to look at. This looks like an organiszation that is much more serious than G.I. Joe's Cobra. One can always run it like Cobra... but it is nice to not have to. I liked the training facility section, which finally answered the question for me why anyone would join Viper in their right mind... they AIN'T right minded! (they're drugged and brain washed to become fanatical).

Visuals are SO much better than 4th ed. The worst art in 5th is better than my best pic in 4th. My work was so crude back then. The layout was one of the best, if not the best, I've seen from Hero so far. It really was the most accessible book i've flipped thru.

My only complaint is that pictures would have been nice with the archtype write ups in the back. No big whoop.

This is a Hero Designer disc, with all its gear, that I would really be interested in acquiring.

I'm new at GMing (though I have played Champions since the early '90s), and picked up VIPER as soon as it came out at my FLGS. Love this book, plenty of good ideas that spark the imagination for the future of the campaign.

The illos I really liked:

p17: "VIPER: Living the Dream" (followed by)

p18: "VIPER: The unpleasant Reality"

ROFL...

:D

Well, I got my author's copies yesterday, and I'm very, very happy. Andy and Allen did a fantastic job with the layout - this looks as solid and professional as any Hero product I've ever seen. The artists did a fantastic job; some of the grey scale art didn't reproduce as well as I'd have liked, but for the most part, the illustrations are well above the standard of the 1993 book. Storn's grown tremendously as an artist since that book (I love the armory section, there's some really impressive pieces there), and I think I've gotten a lot better at asking for an art list that illustrates and supports the text. The chapter headers, the weapon and equipment illos, and the agent technical drawings go a long way toward supporting a serious mood for the agency.

My chief complaint? It's pretty silly, actually: too many of the pictured male VIPER personnel have goatees. Yeah, it's trivial, and understandable (it's the sort of thing that accidentally happens when you have a lot of artists working independently on the same project) but it can interfere with the individual brand of a character, and that's unfortunate. I guess subconsciously everyone's trying to look like the Supreme Serpent. You have to love those cults of personality. :-)

I think I hit about 90-95% of my goals for the project. The campaigning section looks a little small, (my fault), and it would have been nice of we had room for a few more agent templates. But overall, I wanted to do a book that was noticeably superior to the 1993 book and which meets the current Hero standard, and I?m confident we did that. Thanks go to everyone involved, especially to Steve, who was a pleasure to work with.

Scott Bennie

Originally posted by GestaltBennie

Erik Roman's posted a few pieces of his VIPER art here, for those who are interested..

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75474

Nicely done, Erik!

Scott Bennie

Scott!

I'm glad you liked my work for your book. It was a blast.

I was disappointed that they only used half the art they commisioned from me for the book. In my humble opinion they left out the best pieces. (two of which can be seen at the above link!) I was also disappointed to discover, when I got my comp copies, that there was a new Viper logo used that was never given to me as reference (or even mentioned!) by the AD and I was, instead directed to use the logo designs in the previous Viper book, so mine are the only pieces to use the old design and it looks kinda wierd!

All the art for the book was awesome and the writing was really tight as well!! Great job all around and I hope all you players enjoy it!!

~e. :D

The eye logo was another one of those things that I was surprised at when I recieved my comp copies. (as well as the pentagram logo in the same illo!) I was given a written description of it being 'an eye with a snake around it' for the logo. I did what I thought was cool and had NO IDEA that the logo had been designed already and that I just didn't get a copy for reference. The 'Watch' patch on page 69 was what was being used but, again, I was given no reference so what I did by a written description didn't match what was used.

I'm glad you liked my work though and hope you get to see more of it sometime in the future.

~e.

Originally posted by Erik Roman

I'm glad you liked my work though and hope you get to see more of it sometime in the future.

I'm sure I will. I checked out your site after I wrote the above. I hadn't known it was you that did the goofy cow picture in Fantasy Hero. For some reason, I really like it and it's very memorable. :)

I still need to pick up Viper though.