Does Hero System have a Deities & Demigods equivalent?

Green Knight

Re: Does Hero System have a Deities & Demigods equivalent?

Generally speaking, no, there's no such supplement. There was an early 4E supplement called The Olympians which IIRC had write-ups for "avatars" of the Greek gods, or something like that. But there's never been a book devoted to the topic of deities in general or focused on how you create 'em in HERO System terms.

I'm not aware of a published version, though there have been many discussions about statting up gods. The problem with gods is that their power levels and point levels (not necessarily the same thing) are completely subjective. This thread How Would You Stat Up Gods in Hero System may have more of a discussion on the topic for you.

I should note that they did stat up Tezcatlipoca, the Aztec god of the Night, in the 5th ed supplement Arcane Enemies. He came in between 1700-1800 points and was listed as among the most powerful of the Aztec gods...so that can give you an idea of roughly what kind of power levels such "beings" should have.

I personally would love to see a book on "The Gods," probably as a Fantasy Hero supplement (with possibilities for Champions and other games). Unfortunately, it probably would be one of those things that sells nicely but not enough to be worth all that trouble.

Various books from Hero Games over the years have included stats for "divine" beings, e.g. Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes dealt with the Greek gods (as suitable for Classicly-based fantasy games), Mythic Egypt for the gods of that land (same proviso), and the aforementioned The Olympians with gods tailored for modern superheroic games. In addition, a few solo gods have appeared in particular Champions books over the years, including Tezcatlipoca, Ma'at, and Thor.

Not only does the individual interpretation of gods vary from book to book, but their power level also varies depending on whether they're intended for supers or fantasy games, whether these are the gods at their full power or only "avatars" possessing a portion of it, or whether the gods are currently worshipped (in which case they're often not statted at all, on the grounds that their power enters the realm of "plot device").

The Ultimate Mystic also discusses how to write up gods - including what the Perk of being a major deity should cost. :P

Seriously, the book does go into some detail on how to use gods in Hero, and lists many real world mythologies in overview even if not detailing every member of every pantheon. No writeups, though - more of a book discussing everything mystical and how to use it in the Hero system. :)

Various books from Hero Games over the years have included stats for "divine" beings' date=' e.g. [i']Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes[/i] dealt with the Greek gods (as suitable for Classicly-based fantasy games), Mythic Egypt for the gods of that land (same proviso), and the aforementioned The Olympians with gods tailored for modern superheroic games. In addition, a few solo gods have appeared in particular Champions books over the years, including Tezcatlipoca, Ma'at, and Thor.

Not only does the individual interpretation of gods vary from book to book, but their power level also varies depending on whether they're intended for supers or fantasy games, whether these are the gods at their full power or only "avatars" possessing a portion of it, or whether the gods are currently worshipped (in which case they're often not statted at all, on the grounds that their power enters the realm of "plot device").

These are the books published by ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises):

Campaign Classics line - dual stated for Hero System and Rolemaster:

• Robin Hood (1987)
  • Mythic Greece (1988)
  • Vikings (1989)
  • Pirates (1989)
  • Mythic Egypt (1990)

As such, you might not find them if you search for just Hero books or books from Hero Games.

I'm not sure if Vikings have any writeups for the Hero system, but in any case the writeups would be for Hero System 4th Edition. I do not have any of these, but someone who does might be able to comment on how good these writeups are. :)

I think there's a bunch of material worth looking into in the Mystic World book. There aren't writeups for the gods you mention' date=' but it does set out the framework of the mundane and higher dimensions, with attendant bad guys, locations, etc.[/quote']

As a fringe benefit (2 pts?) it also uses the Kabbalistic cosmology with many occult works are based off, which is neat for organizing multiverses, mythological beings and dimensions. This also expands on the details of some concepts touched on in the Ultimate Mystic (the book's more generic companion) and connects with Arcane Adversaries, all by the same author.

These are the books published by ICE (Iron Crown Enterprises):

Campaign Classics line - dual stated for Hero System and Rolemaster:

• Robin Hood (1987)
  • Mythic Greece (1988)
  • Vikings (1989)
  • Pirates (1989)
  • Mythic Egypt (1990)

As such, you might not find them if you search for just Hero books or books from Hero Games.

I'm not sure if Vikings have any writeups for the Hero system, but in any case the writeups would be for Hero System 4th Edition. I do not have any of these, but someone who does might be able to comment on how good these writeups are. :)

All of these books contain full and good quality HERO System stats, but which HERO System may be an issue. Robin Hood and Mythic Greece use the first iteration of Fantasy HERO, from before the genre-specific rules for fantasy, supers, sci-fi, modern day adventure etc. were integrated into Fourth Edition. Differences from later editions range from negligible (Characteristics were virtually identical to 4E and 5E) to substantial (Powers-as-magic had many restrictions as their default starting point). The other books are all for Fourth Edition. Of all of them, Mythic Greece and Mythic Egypt are the only ones to include game stats for the gods of the setting. Note that the author of MG, Aaron Allston, provided a free document updating its stats to 4E, which I could direct people to if anyone's interested.

Mythic Egypt, Mythic Greece,The Olympians, The Ultimate Mystic and the related 5th ed. mystic champs books are all pretty helpful. Basically, YMMV. Generally you should decide what you think they should be able to do, and once you've done that, there's plenty of resources on how to write up specific abilities.

Every time I have even suggested stating out Jesus the thread has quickly been locked.

I actually ran an adventure arc with an individual who thought he was Jesus...so I did have to think about some way to represent this in game terms(or at least things he could do). But since the story arc was about faith...whether or not he was the real thing was never determined...nor did it need to be.

All of these books contain full and good quality HERO System stats' date=' but [u']which[/u] HERO System may be an issue. Robin Hood and Mythic Greece use the first iteration of Fantasy HERO, from before the genre-specific rules for fantasy, supers, sci-fi, modern day adventure etc. were integrated into Fourth Edition. Differences from later editions range from negligible (Characteristics were virtually identical to 4E and 5E) to substantial (Powers-as-magic had many restrictions as their default starting point). The other books are all for Fourth Edition. Of all of them, Mythic Greece and Mythic Egypt are the only ones to include game stats for the gods of the setting. Note that the author of MG, Aaron Allston, provided a free document updating its stats to 4E, which I could direct people to if anyone's interested.

Actually, I would be interested in the stat update for 4E, since the writeups for 1st ed FH were a little...unwieldy.

Actually' date=' I would be interested in the stat update for 4E, since the writeups for 1st ed FH were a little...unwieldy.[/quote']

Sure thing. :) It's a downloadable ZIPped Text file, which Shelley Chrystal Mactyre generously hosts on her website. Just go to this webpage and scroll down to the link, "MG-FIX11.ZIP".

It's part of the extensive archives of material from the grand old "Red October" HERO BBS. You might find some of the other files there of interest.