Toons

Ragitsu

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Toons

All toons: High resistant PD or damage reduction, distinctive features (catch phrases)

Bugs Bunny: Luck (rabbits feet), High INT, conversation, Hunted, Tunneling - megascale, with a very low roll base for getting to the right place (has he ever even been to that beach he's always trying to get to?)

Daffy Duck: Unluck, Higher resistant PD or even damage reduction (he's been shot a LOT of times)

Speedy Gonzolas, and Road Runner: Very high DEX and Running. Luck, Hunted

Wiley Coyote: Inventor, Money (how else can he afford all those ACME products), 3d6 (or more) of unluck. KS: how to assemble ACME products, 14-

Asides from the obvious pick of Regeneration (recovering from dropped anvils' date=' great falls, dynamite in the face, etc), what other traits would suit your run-of-the-mill Looney Tunes type cartoon character?[/quote']

a variationof use art with stuff for his talent for improvising

Lots and lots and lots of BODY -- probably around 40 for most, given the amount of punishment they take.

Some, like Bugs, would also have lots of Skill Levels with Interaction Skills, especially Persuasion. He might even have a special form of Disguise that's PRE-based.

I'm thinking this should be more extreme. A kind of reverse-undead.

"Does not take BODY damage" - no amount of damage ever damages BODY, only STUN. No Toon that I can think of has ever bled.

"Does not take BODY damage" - no amount of damage ever damages BODY, only STUN. No Toon that I can think of has ever bled.

Lots of BODY, Regeneration with Resurrection, and Does Not Bleed. (They do sometimes die, though they're usually back for more the next time around.)

As a Disad, I suggest lowering Perception for most Toons.

It's not just the "walk on air until you look down" thing. It's also stuff like walking right past the monster / Big Bad and not realizing it (until going some distance past, OR the m / BB roars). Or being frequently fooled by poor disguises and obvious diversions.

Another thing that occurs to me is that toons seem unaware of their own extraordinary toughness and powers of recovery.

Threaten them with any weapon, they'll react as if it could do them real harm. Shoot at them, they'll run away or take cover. Toss 'em off a cliff or put them on a pile of TNT, their reaction is along the lines of "Oh, ####!".

There is absolutely none of "Hey, I've got 30 rPD *and* Regen, this can't hurt me. I'll be fully recovered by the next scene...."

If we're talking about building a toon in a more standard game world (as portrayed in movies like "The Mask" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit") then I agree that things like Regeneration and massive amounts of BODY are good things to take. If the toon is in a Toon World, a lot of this can be handwaved as part of the ground rules of the campaign.

Actually, they do take BODY, hence characters who get flattened, look like accordions, who are blasted and blackened, and so on. They just have a lot of Regen.

How do you emulate the "walking on air until you look down" ability?

Oblivious to situation until it's pointed out to you?

sounds right

IIRC there was a Road Runner cartoon where Wile E. held up a sign wondering about the Road Runner doing that in defiance of the Law of Gravity. The Road Runner holds up his own sign in reply saying that He'd never studied law.

:D

So I'd leave something like that to a GM ruling based on situation.

Alternatively is to buy flight with limitation Only when unaware of flying.

In HERO it is.

Not exactly. It starts out as the same power (Flight), but then gets modified to represent the final effect. For example, cartoon "Walking On Air" would be Flight equal to your Ground Movement, with the Advantage of "No Turn Mode" and the Limitations of "Level Flight Only" (or "Can't Climb/Dive") and "No Conscious Control" at the -1 Level, since it only works as long as you''re not aware you're doing it.