I love me some xenomorphs!

LordQulex

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

The new Director's cut of Alien restores the scene where the xenomorph has cocooned Brett and Dallas (who's still alive) and is turning Brett into an egg to impregnate Dallas with. There has also been speculation that the xenomorph is dying when Ripley discovers it in the lifeboat. So... they may have a limited lifespan and can make others without needing a queen.

Personally I suspect the behavior of the original Alien can be put down to it being alone. No hive to interact with, no Queen to give it orders... it's a feral, and it's behavior by no means typical.

Personally I suspect the behavior of the original Alien can be put down to it being alone. No hive to interact with' date=' no Queen to give it orders... it's a feral, and it's behavior by no means typical.[/quote']

On the other hand, limited lifespan makes sense from a bio-weapon POV, as well you consider the speed of its metabolism -- look how fast it went from larvae to 8' tall horror.

On the other hand' date=' limited lifespan makes sense from a bio-weapon POV, as well you consider the speed of its metabolism -- look how fast it went from larvae to 8' tall horror.[/quote']

but makes less sense when you consider how much maintenance the hive requires

Mind you' date=' the life cycle of the xenomorphs is modelled on existing life cycles amongst insect on Earth. Can you imagine the kind of ecology that would be necessary for them to part of it? It would be hyper-nature, a deathworld on an Avatar budget.[/quote']

let alone one that requires a bodyplan so tough they can run around in a vacuum trying to get back into your escape pod

I always thought the big head was at least partly related to the battering ram "tongue".

alien%20quadrilogy%20set.jpg

The Alien boxed set... Asian edition.

Is that real? That would be a boxed set I could see having (well other than just for the movies).

Personally I suspect the behavior of the original Alien can be put down to it being alone. No hive to interact with' date=' no Queen to give it orders... it's a feral, and it's behavior by no means typical.[/quote']

It may have just been a friends thought, but wasn't there something "official" suggesting that in the lack of a queen any alien could evolve into one?

Is that real? That would be a boxed set I could see having (well other than just for the movies).

Yes... but it wasn't sold in the US for some reason. It was sold in Japan (and possibly the rest of Asia).

It may have just been a friends thought' date=' but wasn't there something "official" suggesting that in the lack of a queen any alien could evolve into one?[/quote']

I know there's an official example from the comics of a queenless hive wandering aimlessly for a bit and then promoting one of the previously ordinary eggs. It may be something like honeybees, or bumblebees - the existing administration suppresses ( beating up any workers they catch trying to lay eggs, for example) or assassinates potential rivals, but if something happens to the existing queen there is a fall-back plan.

That larger head doesn't equal a larger brain. It might be what helps them see without eyes.

It was what - in Giger's original sketches - allowed them to have piston action shoot out jaws. There's not actually a great deal of brainspace in there (and there no real relation that we know of between brain size and smarts anyway), and in the movies at least (I know nothing of the games of comics) they didn't seem a great deal smarter than a large primate - if that. Orangoutangs are smart enough to figure out locks and make their own lockpicks, and I didn't actually see that level of smarts in the aliens. They don't learn to open doors after watching humans do it, they don't seem to differentiate between an armed human and an unarmed one, their response to an automated weapon turret is to simply charge it and die (rather than just, you know, going around ...), they never seem to learn what an airlock is, etc. They're fast and they're tough, they breed like nobody's business and they are even meaner than my grandma was - and in addition they seem to be able to acquire useful traits from their hosts - but smart, they really don't seem to be.

cheers, Mark

It was what - in Giger's original sketches - allowed them to have piston action shoot out jaws. There's not actually a great deal of brainspace in there (and there no real relation that we know of between brain size and smarts anyway), and in the movies at least (I know nothing of the games of comics) they didn't seem a great deal smarter than a large primate - if that. Orangoutangs are smart enough to figure out locks and make their own lockpicks, and I didn't actually see that level of smarts in the aliens. They don't learn to open doors after watching humans do it, they don't seem to differentiate between an armed human and an unarmed one, their response to an automated weapon turret is to simply charge it and die (rather than just, you know, going around ...), they never seem to learn what an airlock is, etc. They're fast and they're tough, they breed like nobody's business and they are even meaner than my grandma was - and in addition they seem to be able to acquire useful traits from their hosts - but smart, they really don't seem to be.

So they're cunning, but not overly intelligent. Well, they are drones, after all. The queen did seem to have a higher degree of smarts, though.

So they're cunning' date=' but not overly intelligent. Well, they are drones, after all. The queen did seem to have a higher degree of smarts, though.[/quote']

Yeah, the queen did seem to operate at a slightly different level. That makes sense if she's the one making decisions on where to site a next, when yo make a new queen egg and all that jaz.

cheers, Mark