Help! It's on fire!

SSgt Baloo

Re: Help! It's on fire!

If any of the supers have weather-control or water generation powers, they can obviously be helpful on a somewhat wider scale.

Telekinetics who can affect large volumes might be able to snuff out flames by creating a vacuum, although it's probably not a viable strategy if there are people caught in the blaze.

If it's a forest or major grass fire, a brick could dig a fire break. For a small fire, I would probably give a little latitude to speedsters. All that zipping around does generate some air movement and might help put out small fires.

All the heroes I have or know of personally except one would go the rescue/super fire-person route. Given time (about 4 hours) Olorin could supress the fire, put it ot or otherwise make it go away. Suppress would be his first choice.

One of our players has a Area Effect power of cold... Environmental Change... or what ever it was called. Plus other AE powers with ice and air. She has put out a lot of fires with her powers. I think Force Wall and TK have been successfully used to fight fires before in our game too. If the Force Wall is not air permiable.

Any fire science degrees present? ISTR (from my flightline safety classes) that the "fire triangle" consisted of heat, fuel, and air. Any powers that eliminated (or substantially diminished) any leg of the triangle would either put it out or halt its spread. The thing is, I hate the idea that everything has only one "right" way to counter it. Drains, only versus fire effects are for use against characters using fire attacks. Anything that should logically put out, control a fire should be allowed. Maybe it's because I've had a lot of experience with GMs who could not grasp that mundane (not super-powered) dangers could be fought with mundane means.

Please carry on. I do like to see how others deal with "real" threats in a super world.

person w high str can dump a water tank on it

If it's a forest or major grass fire' date=' a brick could dig a fire break. For a small fire, I would probably give a little latitude to speedsters. All that zipping around does generate some air movement and might help put out small fires.[/quote']

One of our players has a Area Effect power of cold... Environmental Change... or what ever it was called. Plus other AE powers with ice and air. She has put out a lot of fires with her powers. I think Force Wall and TK have been successfully used to fight fires before in our game too. If the Force Wall is not air permiable.

All good ideas. Repped.

This is a more exotic idea, but the Darkness power can be used to block energy, such as sound, light, scent... right? So it should also be able to be specialized to make things Darkness to heat. So, the fire would not be able to spread, as it would be blocked. The power would be pretty cheap. I'll have to look, but I think it is Ranged and Area Effect to start with.

I think I have seen write ups with Fire based characters who had the Suppress power written up to put out fires.

Fire in Champs is an interesting animal when you take into consideration Time (5ED). Most of my supers have a speed of 5 (some 6). Thats 5 or 6 actions for 6-8 heroes in just 12 seconds. In my experience 12 seconds isn't long enough for fire to do too much damage to anything other than polyester, gas or skin (as only a few examples). Just something to ponder. :)

Flight is primarily useful for getting past firelines and rescuing people. So are swinglines. Strength and telekinesis have frequently been used to deliver water, or containers of water. Area effect attacks are handy for snuffing fire. Zappers can carve out firebreaks and create emergency exits, although for the exit creation function it helps to have the skills to know the difference between a load bearing and non-load bear wall. Telekinesis with an Air special effect could be used to rob the fire of oxygen. Water special effects are too obvious to go into. Mind search to find trapped people.

As GM, I encourage fire. Everything is k3wl3r w/fire! From skulls to car racing stripes.

Actually believe it or not, fire hasn't really come up much. I think this group is too industrious to bother with something like this unless I was using it as a diversion to splinter the group while the real fight took place ("I'll go save those people and you guys fight the seven-dimensional beast. We'll meet up back at the clubhouse.")

Flight is primarily useful for getting past firelines and rescuing people. So are swinglines. Strength and telekinesis have frequently been used to deliver water' date=' or containers of water. Area effect attacks are handy for snuffing fire. Zappers can carve out firebreaks and create emergency exits, although for the exit creation function it helps to have the skills to know the difference between a load bearing and non-load bear wall. Telekinesis with an Air special effect could be used to rob the fire of oxygen. Water special effects are too obvious to go into. Mind search to find trapped people.[/quote']

Teleporters, too, have some serious potential to become the ultimate extinguishers... Teleportation + Increased Mass Adder (15pts = 800 kg) + Usable as Attack (gotta grab the agua) = Instant 176 gallon SPLASH!!!

(rinse and repeat) :)

Teleporters' date=' too, have some serious potential to become the ultimate extinguishers... Teleportation + Increased Mass Adder (15pts = 800 kg) + Usable as Attack (gotta grab the agua) = [b']Instant 176 gallon SPLASH!!![/b]

(rinse and repeat) :)

I have character that uses gates of differrent sizes. He has used them to open a gate inside the nearby water main and instant fire hose sans hose.