Parallel Universe Star Wars

Clonus

Today I've been thinking about Star Wars Campaigns and ways of getting away from canon, divergences that might give the PCs more of a chance to take center stage. For example:

What if in the prequel, the Jedi and the princess had never gone to Tatooine and met Anakin?

Contrariwise, what if, when Anakin had discovered who Darth Sidious was, he had killed him and fallen to the Dark Side in so doing?

And lastly, what if Leia had been an only child?

Which do you think would be best from a gaming POV?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Parallel Universe Star Wars

The first one would have changed the setting the most with the immediate impact being anakin destroying the droid army over Naboo. Not having him there would change the details of that battle. Variances would crop up for the rest of the movies as a result.

CES

What if in the prequel' date=' the Jedi and the princess had never gone to Tatooine and met Anakin?[/quote']

He would have grown up a supreme bad*ss in the brutal cauldron of Tatooine and become a pirate or bounty hunter or something. Gotten a few cyborg bits along the way, for another edge over his enemies. Then Obi-Wan would have discovered him as a teenager, tried to train the cruelty out of him, failed, and everything continues as usual into the OT, but without Anakin being a whiny chump.

Contrariwise, what if, when Anakin had discovered who Darth Sidious was, he had killed him and fallen to the Dark Side in so doing?

That could be interesting. Anakin may have been hailed as a hero or condemned as an assassin, depending on whether the Jedi could convince the Senate that Palpatine was evil. With no Order 66, the Jedi would remain in control of the clones unless removed by the Senate. Anakin would rise in the esteem of the Jedi Council and perhaps convince them to remain in power? Then he seeks to control the Jedi personally, eventually resulting in an Empire with Jedi enforcers, while renegade Jedi oppose them.

And lastly, what if Leia had been an only child?

Obi-Wan goes into hiding on Alderaan? After her planet is destroyed, Leia is rescued by Kenobi. ANH plays out as before, but Kenobi fires the shot that destroys the Death Star. Then he trains her as a Jedi. Without the Tatooine connection, Han and Chewie remain smugglers on the run and Lando remains as leader of Cloud City.

Which do you think would be best from a gaming POV?

The Jedi Empire one is distinct enough to be entertaining, plus it's chock full of Force users.

if han hadn't shot first - he probably be dead. Luke would team up with Chewie to fly the falcon. Question, would luke fly the falcon to destroy the death star (and if so would he have survived without Hans help) or would he have been in a X wing fighter and Chewie would have had to try to fly the falcon solo (no pun intended) to save his bacon

I used to run Star Wars with the change point being that Han Solo didn't come back to save Luke at the end of Episode IV.

Set 5 years after that, nobody ever heard of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo's a nobody, Princess Liea is dead. The Rebel Alliance used a suicide commando team to destroy the 1st death star, killing Darth Vader in the process. The Emporor's about the only major character still around, and he's got a different right hand man.

He would have grown up a supreme bad*ss in the brutal cauldron of Tatooine and become a pirate or bounty hunter or something. Gotten a few cyborg bits along the way' date=' for another edge over his enemies. Then Obi-Wan would have discovered him as a teenager, tried to train the cruelty out of him, failed, and everything continues as usual into the OT, but without Anakin being a whiny chump.[/quote']

No, Anakin was already a bit old for recruitment. He never would have been considered as a teenage criminal as long as the Jedi Council still existed. At that point if anyone is going to recruit him it'll be Palpatine or Dooku. Dooku's an interesting possibility except for the dumb name. "Emperor Dooku"? Doesn't exactly have the right ring.

That could be interesting. Anakin may have been hailed as a hero or condemned as an assassin, depending on whether the Jedi could convince the Senate that Palpatine was evil. With no Order 66, the Jedi would remain in control of the clones unless removed by the Senate. Anakin would rise in the esteem of the Jedi Council and perhaps convince them to remain in power? Then he seeks to control the Jedi personally, eventually resulting in an Empire with Jedi enforcers, while renegade Jedi oppose them.

Emperor Anakin would sound better than Emperor Dooku. He wouldn't have the patience to be an eminence gris of course.

Obi-Wan goes into hiding on Alderaan? After her planet is destroyed, Leia is rescued by Kenobi. ANH plays out as before, but Kenobi fires the shot that destroys the Death Star. Then he trains her as a Jedi. Without the Tatooine connection, Han and Chewie remain smugglers on the run and Lando remains as leader of Cloud City.

Actually if Obi Wan was on Alderaan he probably would have joined up with the rebellion when Leia did. Which means he probably would have died when the ship was boarded. Leia being a Jedi gives her a better chance of escaping herself with the plans....but no this goes nowhere interesting.

No' date=' Anakin was already a bit old for recruitment. He never would have been considered as a teenage criminal as long as the Jedi Council still existed. At that point if anyone is going to recruit him it'll be Palpatine or Dooku.[/quote']

But that's the reason the council agreed to train him even as a child - because the presence of the Sith meant he was too dangerous to leave to his own devices. Darth Maul reveals himself in the Naboo affair with or without Anakin's involvement, so the council is aware the Sith are back. Even if he's a teenage rogue, will they just turn him loose? I'm not convinced they would. With his insane Force ability, he's a special case. At that point he mirrors Luke's training with Yoda - too old, but too important to turn away.

Or maybe he could be found by Palpatine years earlier and essentially turned into another Darth Maul, but far more powerful.

Actually if Obi Wan was on Alderaan he probably would have joined up with the rebellion when Leia did.

Depends on when he wanted to reveal himself. Of course with Bail Organa looking after Leia, he may well have gone into exile with Yoda and only emerged when she came of age.

Which means he probably would have died when the ship was boarded.

With Ob-Wan on the case, the ship may never have been caught. :) We never really got to see the old man in action.

Leia being a Jedi gives her a better chance of escaping herself with the plans....but no this goes nowhere interesting.

Leia's not the most patient person, either. I wouldn't be surprised if the extra power made her more rash.

First of all what's this too old to be trained business. Never liked that. Also the Force is in the microhomdrian (sp?). What was that nonsense all about. You know when Obi wan first mentioned the clone wars, me and my friends thought that they were evil.

What if Lucas's brain didnt turn to mush between 1983 and 1999?

I actually ran a plot arc in my Champions campaign wherein Fox Bat stole a Time machine & used it to launch a complex, multi-layered plan whose ultimate goal was altering the creation of the Prequels. The PCs, terrified of the concept of Fox Bat with a time machine, ultimately confronted him at the premiere to episode III (Starring Hayden Christensen, Ewen McGregor and Brittney Spears). When confronted by the universally good reviews of the first two prequels the PCs actually let him go, but did take his time machine away before he got a chance to undo Indiana Jones IV.

I actually ran a plot arc in my Champions campaign wherein Fox Bat stole a Time machine & used it to launch a complex' date=' multi-layered plan whose ultimate goal was altering the creation of the Prequels. The PCs, [i']terrified[/i] of the concept of Fox Bat with a time machine, ultimately confronted him at the premiere to episode III (Starring Hayden Christensen, Ewen McGregor and Brittney Spears). When confronted by the universally good reviews of the first two prequels the PCs actually let him go, but did take his time machine away before he got a chance to undo Indiana Jones IV.
They do say the the superhero genre is mainly wish-fulfillment :)

• 4 weeks later...

What if a couple more Jedis had survived Order 66 (well they did in the Expanded Universe) but I mean in a way to have been of immediate help to Obiwan and Yoda.

Note: I guess it would depend. The padawan that Bail Organa saw get killed, if he were to escape he probably would have been targeted for training in exile by Yoda or Kenobi. So, I guess at least a fullfledged knight.