Off-world crops?

tkdguy

Re: Off-world crops?

Possibly' date=' although I heard consuming too much soybean isn't good for the body. [/quote']

There's a compound that mimics estrogen. I believe it's also what makes a lot of the things made from soybean taste like plastic. With any luck it can be GMed out.

And people will need more variety anyway.

You would be amazed if not appalled by how much of the average American diet depends on one monocrop.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be maize, aka corn?

Lucius Alexander

Feed it to the palindromedary

Yep. In the processed food, the beef, the dairy, the pork, the poultry, the eggs. High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is beginning to show up in all sorts of places you wouldn't think it belongs, and may become even more widespread now that they can call it "corn sugar."

http://www.nss.org/settlement/ColoniesInSpace/colonies_chap09.html

Chapter 9 from "Colonies in Space" considers the possibilities for feeding colonists. You can raise all kinds of vegetables hydroponically in large quantities, year round. In addition, you can raise various animals--fish, rabbits, goats--which can eat the parts of plants we don't (raising animals that eat the same plant foods we do is a wasteful extravagance), and use them for meat (or in the case of goats, for milk, butter, etc.).

I've had a long day after a mostly sleepless night, so pardon me if this question has been answered already.

I was thinking about the effects of low-g habitats on crops and livestock. A space station can rotate quickly enough to achieve 1-g. But colonies on the Moon and Mars won't have that option. How would plants and animals be affected by the lower gravity in those places?

I've had a long day after a mostly sleepless night, so pardon me if this question has been answered already.

I was thinking about the effects of low-g habitats on crops and livestock. A space station can rotate quickly enough to achieve 1-g. But colonies on the Moon and Mars won't have that option. How would plants and animals be affected by the lower gravity in those places?

Don't believe we know yet. We've tried full gravity and microgravity, don't believe the low gravity experiment has been done yet. I suspect but don't know plants would adapt better than animals, aquatic critters better than land animals.

If needed, centrifuges can be built planetside. More acceleration is always an option, less is the hard part.

Don't believe we know yet. We've tried full gravity and microgravity, don't believe the low gravity experiment has been done yet. I suspect but don't know plants would adapt better than animals, aquatic critters better than land animals.

If needed, centrifuges can be built planetside. More acceleration is always an option, less is the hard part.

Back in the 80s we were growing cabbage in a large centrifuge at The Land attraction at Epocot. They had a lot of different ideas for growing multiple crops in the same space too.

If you stick with aquaculture (and on a planet surface, there's reasons why aquaculture is a decent idea; the huge mass of a significant body of water isn't so much of an issue there), growing stuff in tanks, I don't think it'd be a huge problem. The challenge might become keeping the water from becoming stagnant, since the buoyant force is proportional to g, and a lot of current aquaculture technique relies on bubbling air through the water both to improve oxygenation and to induce water circulation. With a lower-g planet, you may need to supplement the circulation with mechanical impelling for efficient mixing of O2/CO2 and other nutrients through the tank.

Or what size rats hitching a ride in seed shipments would grow to in low-g. :eek:

Humm' date=' giant boneless rats.[/quote']

I made a note in one of the colonies in L5, barbecued rat on a stick is considered a popular snack in the bistros.

Inverted centrifuges.

I originally took that as a joke, but thinking about it I can't see why it wouldn't work (except, of course, an equipment failure becomes really,really messy as everything crashes to the ceiling). Has this been tried?