Scott Heine - Protectors

SAVeira

Back on the old board, Scott was kindly post new images of his classic characters, the Protectors. Just wondering if Scott had some more images available? You did not get to my favorite character, Dr. Wraithe, also known as the Warlock. So if you have more great artwork or stories you would like share, please do.

Always wondered if you used Coatlicue in your own campaign and what became of her.

S.A. Veira

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming... Up... For... Air...

Hi, guys. Yeah, I started to post updated images for the ol' team a bit before New Year's. I was hoping to have them all up and available by now. Unfortunately, I've been absolutely buried at work -- it's all a good thing, but it's leaving me very little free time. I'm hoping things will settle down a bit by the middle of March, and then I can get the rest of the team available. In the meantime, I've posted the pics that were already done at a freebie web host. Here's the link...

The first batch of Protector pics...

Doctor Wraithe, aka "The Warlock," will be the next one up. The line art is done and inked; just need to scan and color. But don't hold your breath. I'm serious when I say mid-March is the earliest I hope for...

Now pardon me while I bury myself under my "in" box once again... :P

Re: Coming... Up... For... Air...

Originally posted by Scott Heine

Hi, guys. Yeah, I started to post updated images for the ol' team a bit before New Year's. I was hoping to have them all up and available by now. Unfortunately, I've been absolutely buried at work -- it's all a good thing, but it's leaving me very little free time. I'm hoping things will settle down a bit by the middle of March, and then I can get the rest of the team available. In the meantime, I've posted the pics that were already done at a freebie web host. Here's the link...

Doctor Wraithe, aka "The Warlock," will be the next one up. The line art is done and inked; just need to scan and color. But don't hold your breath. I'm serious when I say mid-March is the earliest I hope for...

Thanks Scott. I am looking for Doctor Wraithe.

S.A. Veira

Great pictures, Scott. Thanks for posting.

To Serve & Protect was always one of the best module/supplements ever made.

Thanks again

Hi, guys. Yeah, I started to post updated images for the ol' team a bit before New Year's.

Don't recall the name of the guy in the battle-suit, but he must spend a fortune on nair and other hair removers. His legs are silky smooth!:D

Re: Re: Coming... Up... For... Air...

Originally posted by Blue

Don't recall the name of the guy in the battle-suit, but he must spend a fortune on nair and other hair removers. His legs are silky smooth!:D

lol

I was thinking the same thing. I think that was supposed to be tan colored armor-y stuff....

Originally posted by Mike Basinger

I have the Protectors 5th ed. conversions that Glenn Sprigg did on the old boards. Ogier300 was nice enough to send me his .hdc files. I converted the files to pdfs with the graphic as a watermark.

You can find them at

http://www.dbasinge.net/rpg/index.html

Mike

Any chance we can share out those HDC's?

Um...

Originally posted by Acroyear

I think that was supposed to be tan colored armor-y stuff....

Um... Nope. He's got silky smooth legs. :rolleyes:

Don't ask me what I was thinking when I first drew him. Heck, that was DECADES ago now. I think I was influenced by Cyborg of the new Teen Titans; at least, that's who he reminds me of now. I think if I had it to do all over again, there'd be less flesh showing, more of a "Borg-like" feel, and the skin that could be seen would be scarred and disfigured.

To be honest, I don't really remember the issue ever coming up until I reposted the pic on the old boards a couple of months ago. Then again, I seem to remember that Mandroid went around with street clothes covering his armor most of the time -- probably baggy jeans, a dark T-Shirt, maybe a worn leather jacket. The character I had in mind for TS&P had kind of a "The Thing" complex, in that he felt ugly and visually repulsive. But that only came up in the campaign a couple of times, usually when the character had to remove his faceplate for some reason (which he never did in front of his teammates, as I recall...)

For what it's worth, someone (who shall remain nameless) sent me an e-mail today after looking at the pictures, thanking me for including a gay hero in a Champions product. Hmm. I never thought of Mandroid as gay...

Re: Um...

Hmm. I never thought of Mandroid as gay... [/b]

That's damn funny!

Especially when you consider that the alternative seems to be wearing tights, which in the hero world is acceptable among hetero folk.

My drawings all look like girls anyway. Oh, wait... I only draw women :)

Protector Pictures

I have the book, To Serve and Protect and I liked it.

The pic for Dr Wraithe was not that good but it was a good book and the pic of Coatlicue on the cover was good.

The hero team for my group was The Protectors and we had this before the book came out (Late 1984 we started).

And there was an Ace in our group as well. Didn't the player get snotty about that.

I like the new Ace look. Helios was good in the original drawing and the new version lives up to that. Renegade has not changed and his look is Classic anyway.

I have nothing to add on the Mandroid debate except that was not his original name.

Silverfist vs. Mandroid

Originally posted by FlyBoy

I thought his name was Silverfist...

Well, yeah, it was in the published book. It was always Mandroid in the campaign (well, until he became a giant robot named "Rampage," but that's a long story). Rob Bell made us change it to "Silverfist" for publication because of a copyright issue.

-- S --

Re: Silverfist vs. Mandroid

Well, yeah, it was in the published book. It was always Mandroid in the campaign (well, until he became a giant robot named "Rampage," but that's a long story). Rob Bell made us change it to "Silverfist" for publication because of a copyright issue.

Is it because of the Marvel characters known as Mandroids? Because it would be odd of him to request such a change when he didn't ask you to change the name of Quasar (another Marvel character)...