Martial Arts iiinnn ssspppaaaccceee!!! Which style is flexible enough?

Xavier Onassiss

Re: Martial Arts iiinnn ssspppaaaccceee!!! Which style is flexible enough?

However, I'd like to know if there's a more generally useful martial style, one flexible enough to be adapted to the wide variety of conditions in this campaign: "normal" gravity, spin gravity, and zero gravity. If you had to pick a martial art to be used in all these environments...

?

In reality a style suitable for being used in free fall would have to be some kind of grappling style, one that emphasized groundfighting. Hitting people in zerogravity without having a firm grip on them would just be ludicrous.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't need to put them in orbit' date=' use the Vomit Comet.[/quote']

"I thought the Vomit Comet was for astronaut training."

"Well, today it's getting hit on the head lessons."

"What a stupid concept."

"What a stupid concept."

But it's for SCIENCE, you fools! smashfreakB.gif

This smilie brought to you by the Institute for Applied Retro-Phrenology.

"What a stupid concept."

I just can't believe that you wouldn't be able to get behind spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to settle an Internet forum argument. Here I thought I knew you.

I just can't believe that you wouldn't be able to get behind spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to settle an Internet forum argument. Here I thought I knew you.

Hey, I was just paraphrasing Monty Python... s'cool.

I cannot find who suggest Caporia and Tae Kwon Do, but I think that some elements of this could be added to a brazillian Jiu-jitusu. Capeoria because of the aerobatics, could help you keep yourself orientated when spinning in zero-g. Spinning was mentioned a couple of times, so if your opponent doesn't know which way is up (from a fall), that could stop a lot of fights in a hurry. Also Tae Kwon Do is know for rotating the hip in roundhouses and sidekicks, that training could help you to throw the kick in zero-g. Though the damage would probally be negilible (unless a good shot in the face), it could be used defensively to knock an approaching person.

I wanted to clarify that with orientation and caporia, I was really meaning personal disorientation, from doing flips. The closest thing I can compare to is the feeling of disorientation if you ever get caught in the wash of a nasty wave that breaks. I'm thinking that a trained spacer would not allow his lost of sense of direction overwhelm him as an untrained spacer probally would if he got spun around a couple of times.

I wanted to clarify that with orientation and caporia' date=' I was really meaning personal disorientation, from doing flips. The closest thing I can compare to is the feeling of disorientation if you ever get caught in the wash of a nasty wave that breaks. I'm thinking that a trained spacer would not allow his lost of sense of direction overwhelm him as an untrained spacer probally would if he got spun around a couple of times.[/quote']

I've been giving some thought to this, WRT martial maneuvers with the 'target falls' feature. In zero-G, 'target falls' is pretty much meaningless. So I'm thinking of changing the meaning of 'target falls' in zero-G combat to 'target loses control', after which they'll take full penalties for zero-G until they make a PS: Zero-G Operations roll.

The actual martial maneuvers involved might not be the same; throwing someone to the ground vs. sending them tumbling in zero-G may be completely different. But the results are about the same in terms of game balance: taking a half-phase to stand up (or making a Breakfall roll to do so as a zero-phase action) vs. taking a half-phase to make a PS: 0-G Ops roll and get re-oriented. (Would the Zero-G Adaptation Talent allow this as zero-phase action? I kind of like that idea.)

I've been giving some thought to this, WRT martial maneuvers with the 'target falls' feature. In zero-G, 'target falls' is pretty much meaningless. So I'm thinking of changing the meaning of 'target falls' in zero-G combat to 'target loses control', after which they'll take full penalties for zero-G until they make a PS: Zero-G Operations roll.

The actual martial maneuvers involved might not be the same; throwing someone to the ground vs. sending them tumbling in zero-G may be completely different. But the results are about the same in terms of game balance: taking a half-phase to stand up (or making a Breakfall roll to do so as a zero-phase action) vs. taking a half-phase to make a PS: 0-G Ops roll and get re-oriented. (Would the Zero-G Adaptation Talent allow this as zero-phase action? I kind of like that idea.)

Excellent!!

Here's a video of the opening of the Kibo lab in the ISS. There's no combat of course, but it may give you an idea of how people would move in microgravity. If you get bored, skip to 3:10 and look at Garrett Reisman's performance.

Here's a video of the opening of the Kibo lab in the ISS. There's no combat of course, but it may give you an idea of how people would move in microgravity. If you get bored, skip to 3:10 and look at Garrett Reisman's performance.

Now if we could only get them to fight.

Here's another good one: an early demonstration of spin-gravity, proving that the idea works even if it's the astronaut that's spinning, not the station!

Embedding has been disabled on this video; you'll have to 'click thru' to youtube.

Very nice' date=' TKD! I like how they seem to collectively settle on one direction in the module as "up" ... Is that part of the training, you think?[/quote']

I hadn't thought about that, but I suppose it would make it more convenient to everyone when they're setting up their equipment and working on other stuff.

I hadn't thought about that' date=' but I suppose it would make it more convenient to everyone when they're setting up their equipment and working on other stuff.[/quote']

Yeah, you don't want half the text on the readouts to be upside down all the time. Also, having half the room be upside down might induce stress.

Yeah' date=' you don't want half the text on the readouts to be upside down all the time. Also, having half the room be upside down might induce stress.[/quote']

Hmmm... more campaign fodder. I can see a distinct difference in styles developing between baseline humans with PS: Zero-G Ops (skill) and gene-tailored spacers with Zero-G Adaptation (talent). The former like to have everything oriented WRT a nominal floor; the latter really don't care which way anything is oriented. (They read upside down and cook breakfast with their feet.)

• 2 months later...

It seems to me that a large part of HTH inside a structure in ZG would be making use of the available surfaces and protrusions. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reason to have large empty spaces in a ship or other environment. Empty space is expensive, fill it with something useful. Likely, the dimensions of any given space would be similar to those in current buildings on Earth. Okay, cargo bays and the like, yes, but they won't represent much of the structure. Look at a modern aircraft carrier or submarine, and you don't see big emtpy rooms.

So, weird as it sounds, parkour might be a good model. Lots of changes in direction that have a specific purpose. Using the physical environment to control your movement. Creating leverage where none exists naturally.

So, weird as it sounds, parkour might be a good model. Lots of changes in direction that have a specific purpose. Using the physical environment to control your movement. Creating leverage where none exists naturally.

Actually makes a lot of sense. Makes combat work a lot like 3D billiards. Billiard/Pool often thave to think multiple balls ahead when deciding how hard to strike the Que as it is so crucial to setup for the next strike.