Help Me Populate A Creepy Island

Sidetrack

Re: Help Me Populate A Creepy Island

The [noun]

he's a [noun] , [adjective] and [adjective] , [adverb] there [verb] ing at [place] . So it's odd that (s)he is so [adjective] . he'll [adverb] be seen [verb] ing near [noun] ...

I'm developing some general ideas, but I figured I'd try playing this first:

The Babe

She's an online college student, young and beautiful, slowly there wandering at the beach. So it's odd that she is so often alone. She'll often be seen carousing near the nightclub. She likes to pick up visiting men on their last night on the island. The next morning, those men can't get off the island fast enough... and once gone, they're never heard from again. By anyone.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Widow

Perhaps one of the most beautiful women on the island. She is seductive and sexy. She also likes being married. She's been married 8 times. Not bad for a 23 year old. The worst part is that each and every husband has died. Each husband has died an unusual death (one was struck by lightning, and 2 are still unsolved as the reasons behind the deaths). She has had an iron clad alibi for each death, seen by multiple witnesses at the club she works at. The word is out that she is now looking for husband number 9.

The Gilmans - A family, or perhaps a clan, of deeply reclusive people that live in an otherwise deserted village as far from the tourist spots as possible. They avoid visitors. They all have a strong family resemblence - staring eyes, greyish, rough skin, and weirdly deformed, almost webbed, hands and feet. They do a lot of night swimming...

The Castaway:

Marooned on the island during a storm, this strange man brought something on his journey. Shrunken heads. He won't say where he got them or what he was doing transporting them, but he sure does have a lot of them. His remains of his ship can be found, and it's hard to imagine such a large ship having only one person on board. But he swears that he was the only one on board.

(Special note: this entry was suggested by my 10 year old son)

The Castaway:

Marooned on the island during a storm, this strange man brought something on his journey. Shrunken heads. He won't say where he got them or what he was doing transporting them, but he sure does have a lot of them. His remains of his ship can be found, and it's hard to imagine such a large ship having only one person on board. But he swears that he was the only one on board.

(Special note: this entry was suggested by my 10 year old son)

Heh. That reminds me of a scene from South Pacific:

Bloody Mary: Wanna buy a shrunken head?

Sailor: What's it made of?

Bloody Mary: It's made outta head.

What does every creepy Island in the middle of nowhere need? A Russian! Maybe he is ex-kgb. Maybe he is actually Rasputin. Or maybe he is just an escaped circus bear. Who knows, but he is definitely there. : ).

La Rose.

Agatha and Rose Chapman

These two elderly spinsters live together in a small house just outside the city limits of the main island's largest town. Though in their early 70s, they're spry, healthy, and modern, with a power-walk every morning, a weekly game of tennis, and plenty of Internet savvy. They're also friendly to everyone, resident and visitor alike, with a cheerful, almost vivacious manner.

They also seem to be doing well for themselves financially, despite relying mainly on Social Security. At least, they always seem to have some fine cuts of steak in their freezer, which they're always willing to share, especially with visitors.

In fact, if you're traveling to the island alone, they'll be more than happy to invite you over and have you for dinner.

Agatha and Rose Chapman

These two elderly spinsters live together in a small house just outside the city limits of the main island's largest town. Though in their early 70s, they're spry, healthy, and modern, with a power-walk every morning, a weekly game of tennis, and plenty of Internet savvy. They're also friendly to everyone, resident and visitor alike, with a cheerful, almost vivacious manner.

They also seem to be doing well for themselves financially, despite relying mainly on Social Security. At least, they always seem to have some fine cuts of steak in their freezer, which they're always willing to share, especially with visitors.

In fact, if you're traveling to the island alone, they'll be more than happy to invite you over and have you for dinner.

Do they live next to an amazingly attractive female pig-farmer?

Do they live next to an amazingly attractive female pig-farmer?
Another reference that's totally lost me... I actually lifted them from a Doctor Who story, "Paradise Towers." (Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy; one that's generally been panned though it's one of my favorites from his era.)

Another reference that's totally lost me... I actually lifted them from a Doctor Who story' date=' "Paradise Towers." (Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy; one that's generally been panned though it's one of my favorites from his era.)[/quote']

Amazingly attractive female pig-farmer = Circe.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all a conspiracy set up by the creepy travel website. ;)

Now we need a creepy airline. With creepy airplanes.

And a creepy cruise ship. Oh, yes, we need a creepy cruise ship.

Lucius Alexander

And a creepy palindromedary

• 2 months later...

A new one just came to me.

Eric and Bethany Heatherton are fraternal twins, brother and sister. They share an apartment at the edge of the island's main town. Each is incredibly good looking -- Eric is a 6'2" major hunk, and Bethany a 5'5" curvalicious babe. And neither is shy about advertising his or her physical assets.

Nor is either of them shy about making use of those assets. Each is quite fond of flirting with members of the opposite sex, and both are well known for their love of sex with strangers -- including, or even especially, visitors to the island. Neither of them, in fact, has ever had anything remotely resembling a long-term relationship.

It's a funny thing, though: nobody can remember ever seeing them both in the same place at the same time... or even in two different places at the same time, for that matter.

Yes, Eric/Bethany is just one person, a cross-gender shape-shifter. This is something that someone who has slept with one of them usually only vaguely begins to suspect -- though it could be a shocker to bed down with one and wake up in the morning with the other.

Captain Quint and the last holdout

On or after the 3rd of each month Captain Quint's small but well maintained boat docks, and he picks up his mail, cashes his social security and Navy pension checks, loads supplies on his boat, then goes to the bar. The next morning he heads back to one of the smaller outer islands.

If you get him talking Quint will tell of his adventures in the area during WWII. Quint will also claim that on the small outer island where he lives there is still a holdout, a Japanese soldier who does not know that the war is over. Quint spends 29 days a month trying to track him down and capture him.

Quint claims the holdout is trying to kill him, but when he speaks of the holdout it is without animosity, he seems sincere in his desire to capture him alive, to rescue him and bring him back to civilization.

Locals will speak of the holdout as an actual person in Quint's hearing, but most suspect Quint lives alone on his island and the holdout is actually a figment of the old captain's imagination. How old is Quint anyway? He claims to be a WWII veteran, and his mail and the framed discharge certificate hanging on the wall of his shack bear that out, but he looks to be in his mid fifties. Guess chasing imaginary Japanese soldiers keeps you young.

The caretaker. On one of the medium-sized islands there is an old man locals refer to as "The caretaker", he is fit, healthy but very craggy-looking. If you ask anyone about his age they'll make a guess and try to back in up with obviously specious reasoning everyone around jumping in with their "logical conclusion", including the caretaker. His name reminds the characters of someone, they're not sure who. Possibly someone who disappeared or a historical figure, they're not sure. He is either a fair skinned native or a very tanned white man. Again, asking will only result in tall tales being told by everyone, if the PCs join in this fantasy with humour and originality the locals like them more. The caretakers job seems to be fixing anything important that goes wrong, from the satelite phone tower to the water trough. Locals warn you never to offer him help of any kind. If the PCs comment that he seems to be overworked and deserves a break or otherwise justify giving him help the local make it clear, give all the help you want but NEVER offer. Just do it.

If the PCs or anyone else is in danger from the various things on this or any of the 4 neighbouring islands the caretaker will appear to help them out of the situation. He's doesn't seem to have a magical knowledge of where to be but he hurries to the scene of danger and knows a lot about the area. He seems to know a lot about the various dangers as well, giving valuable tips. Occasionally he'll try to trick one of the PCs into offering to "take care of things until I get back". If anyone accepts they find they can't leave these 5 islands, something always stops them. The caretaker won't be seen again, except perhaps as he waves goodbye from his concealed seaplane/speedboat or other very fast conveyence. The locals give the PC who made the offer the key to the caretakers hut where his diary details the duties of the caretaker. The only way out of this is to get someone to make the same offer the character made. That could take a while, the old caretaker's diaries seem to go back a long way...