In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Hmm. Is being a "huge a@@40l#" a psych lim' date=' or a physical limitation?[/quote']

In truth, he was a self-centered glory hound. So that's a Psych Lim.

Also, Sitting bull clocked in at near 400 points (something like 360-375.) Someone I know who's either part Lakota or closely connected to the Lakota Nation gave me a double thumbs up for blending the real and mythic Sitting Bull into one individual.

I have yet to write Sitting Bull's color text and intend to include a number of other well-known and influential Native Americans from circa 1700-1900. Also, a generic Plains Indian Template. I hope to have this done in a week, and to have a least a rough Custer by then a well.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Okay, after a hiatus of far too long, I'm back on this project. Part of the delay was the time it took me to read several books on Custer and Sitting Bull. I've completed character sheets for both, and am now trying to condense both their lives down into something that's comprehensible for gaming purposes. I'm also trying to present both rather neutrally, although that's rather hard with Custer, since he's such a polarizing figure.

In case you're wondering, both of them exceed 300 points, but I think both of them are of heroic stature without overdoing it. After I (finally!) get this done, I intend to start working on Jesse James.

• 2 weeks later...

A taste:

[[sIDEBAR]]

WHO KILLED CUSTER?

Obviously, it will never be known who exactly dealt the deathblow to George Armstrong Custer. However, Lakota accounts of the Battle of Little Big Horn give several possible candidates. The Cheyenne told reporter Thomas B. Marquis a warrior named Brave Bear was responsible, which wasn’t true—the reporters wanted a name, so the Cheyenne gave them one. A man named Hawk claimed he did it, but no one else would back him up on that. White Bull, the nephew of Sitting Bull, claimed he did it, struggling with Custer in hand-to-hand combat, before shooting Custer in the head and chest with a pistol. After he fell, Harshay Wolf, Medicine Bear, and Two Moons all claimed to have counted coup on the general’s body. There’s also a slight chance that Tom Custer shot his brother through the head to prevent his being captured alive by the Lakota.

[[END SIDEBAR]]

• 2 months later...

After another hiatus, I'm back again. I'm still working on the Custer page, as it includes a number of mini biographies of Civil War commanders. Right now I'm at 7800+ words and still need to finish Nathan Bedford Forrest , Robert Edward Lee, and Ulysses S. Grant. I suspect this section will be nearly 10,000 words. Then comes Sitting Bull, then Jesse James, and then... well, we'll see where I need to go from there.

After another hiatus' date=' I'm back again. I'm still working on the Custer page, as it includes a number of mini biographies of Civil War commanders. Right now I'm at 7800+ words and still need to finish Nathan Bedford Forrest , Robert Edward Lee, and Ulysses S. Grant. I suspect this section will be nearly 10,000 words. Then comes Sitting Bull, then Jesse James, and then... well, we'll see where I need to go from there.[/quote']

No William T Sherman or Stonewall Jackson?

No William T Sherman or Stonewall Jackson?

Jackson gets a mini-bio. Sherman didn't as I needed to stop somewhere. For the record, the mini-bios are JEB Stuart, Stonewall Jackson, Nathan Bedford Forest, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, Robert E Lee, and Ulysses S Grant. I realize the listing favors the CSA, but that's because a number of CSA commanders were rather innovative and tactically brilliant in their use of troops and cavalry. That said, I did give a text box of additional names and do mention Sherman and Sheridan (among others.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After a lot of struggle, I managed to condense Sitting Bull's life into 2,700 words. Now to finish the rest of the character sheet.

I think I'll be working on Nikolai Tesla next, if only because I have an interesting biography of him on loan. He, of course, will fulfill the "Mad Scientist" archetype.

Oh, quick note about Tesla. In the movie The Prestige, Tesla is played by David Bowie. He creates a matter duplicator for the film's protagonist, an invention we would be more apt to associate with Star Trek than the late 1800s. The joke among my friends is that if anyone else did it, we'd cry foul and declare it was impossible. But seeing as Tesla makes the device, we all shrug and go, 'Oh, that's okay then. After all, this is Tesla we're talking about.' :)

After a lot of struggle, I managed to condense Sitting Bull's life into 2,700 words. Now to finish the rest of the character sheet.

I think I'll be working on Nikolai Tesla next, if only because I have an interesting biography of him on loan. He, of course, will fulfill the "Mad Scientist" archetype.

Oh, quick note about Tesla. In the movie The Prestige, Tesla is played by David Bowie. He creates a matter duplicator for the film's protagonist, an invention we would be more apt to associate with Star Trek than the late 1800s. The joke among my friends is that if anyone else did it, we'd cry foul and declare it was impossible. But seeing as Tesla makes the device, we all shrug and go, 'Oh, that's okay then. After all, this is Tesla we're talking about.' :)

That seems legit.

Tesla as fictional character is a central figure in the Forbidden Kingdoms pulp game setting and the creator of the title character in the excellent Atomic Robo comic books. I got the same vibe from those as from The Prestige: It just works.

Well Tesla was one of the first people in the US (maybe the world?) to develope functioning wireless remote control technology. Then there are the legends about hos death ray. I can see why he gets afictional status boost...

In the movie The Prestige' date=' Tesla is played by David Bowie. He creates a matter duplicator for the film's protagonist, an invention we would be more apt to associate with [i']Star Trek[/i] than the late 1800s. The joke among my friends is that if anyone else did it, we'd cry foul and declare it was impossible. But seeing as Tesla makes the device, we all shrug and go, 'Oh, that's okay then. After all, this is Tesla we're talking about.' :)

That's my feeling as well. The movie Time After Time and the TV series Lois And Clark had H.G. Wells traveling through time. Now nothing I've ever read or heard about Wells--even though he was quite intelligent--indicated to me that he had the knowledge or the scientific or technical expertise to build a time machine.

But Tesla? Oh yeah--that would be his next project after faster-than-light space travel.