Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

sevrick

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

That doesn't mean what you think it means. It simply means that if you have 10 PD (10 points) and 10 PD' date=' Resistant (15 points), Total PD = 20, you must buy Hardened on 20 PD (5 points).[/quote']

Nope. You need to buy it twice.

A character’s normal PD and ED, as well as any Defense Power, can be Hardened. A character must buy Hardened with each of his Defenses separately; a character who has a Hardened Power Defense doesn’t automatically get Hardened Resistant Protection, for example. A character cannot have partially Hardened defenses. A given defense must be all Hardened, or it’s not Hardened at all. A character can, however, have some defenses that are Hardened, and others that are not.

Buying Resistant creates a separate Defensive Power.

I took a scan of the old 4th Ed Character sheets with the Silhouettes, back when I had access to the right software at work on the day job, restructured them for *insert edition here* and as I have zero Art talent, and HATE stealing stuff off the computer to use, I'd doodle in the lines as needed.

New sheets lack those silhouettes for some unfathomable reason to me, hence, I want an art program if I am going to have to join the rest of the 21st century and start using a computer for everything up to an including blowing my nose.....

~Rex....moments of writing brilliance balanced by longer moments of drastic, good letterer...Great Inker....TERRIBLE Penciler.......

They do have a PDF for sale with over 100 silhouettes (split between male and female) that can be printed and used for character art. It is $9.95, but can then be used for as many characters as you want. :)

But since Dan pulled the die roller out of HD, citing as I recall the fact that it wasn't part of the core functionality of the application, I'm pretty sure he won't be coding and adding in an art program.

Perhaps the "insane" part is buying your defenses with the Resistant Advantage rather than just buying Resistant PD/ED if you want to add Hardened.

So my instantly regenerating Martial artist HAS to buy her PD&ED to 0 then buy Resistant Protection to have hardened and fully resistant Defenses? If that's the case it proves that the Resistant advantage was ill conceived. I should be able to buy the power either way and have the costs nearly equal in price (Give or take a point).

They do have a PDF for sale with over 100 silhouettes (split between male and female) that can be printed and used for character art. It is $9.95, but can then be used for as many characters as you want. :)

But since Dan pulled the die roller out of HD, citing as I recall the fact that it wasn't part of the core functionality of the application, I'm pretty sure he won't be coding and adding in an art program.

In the Cybergames era, Ben Seeman was working on a Art Program. It was scrapped after the DOJ takeover of the company. Probabaly because good artwork is expensive.

Decent art can be had for the cost of a monthly sub to either Champions Online or City of Heroes. The Costume Generators for both games are pretty incredible.

In the Cybergames era, Ben Seeman was working on a Art Program. It was scrapped after the DOJ takeover of the company. Probabaly because good artwork is expensive.

Decent art can be had for the cost of a monthly sub to either Champions Online or City of Heroes. The Costume Generators for both games are pretty incredible.

Yup. I've got a lifetime sub to CO. :)

If only I had more time to actually PLAY it...

But to use that, I'd have to get something like VMWare for my Mac, and then a Windows OS, and then....

But to use that' date=' I'd have to get something like VMWare for my Mac, and then a Windows OS, and then....[/quote']

Not so for City of Heroes which has a Mac Version. It does require an Intel Mac, but it is outthere. Too bad that Cryptic doesn't take a similar path with CO and STO...

Heh, More then Me, means Big. Granted that's starting at something of a negative Baseline but the math holds treu.

~Rex...still on topic.

Well we are sort of on topic. The OP used the Resistant advantage construct as an example of a typo in a Hero Book. We find out that it wasn't a typo, but a strange power construction that is unlike any thing else in the game. So we talk about the screwy rule.

Not so for City of Heroes which has a Mac Version. It does require an Intel Mac' date=' but it is outthere. Too bad that Cryptic doesn't take a similar path with CO and STO...[/quote']

Ahh... I see. Yeah, I'd love to have the character creator from CO as a stand-alone application.

Humor aside -- I confess I have no idea what the original poster is talking about. I strongly and categorically disagree with the accusation that Hero Games books have lots of typos and other errors.

Before DoJ, lots of typos. When Heromaker was being produced, all the older characters were entered and almost all had math errors.

Sure, one can find some errors in current, but it's way less prevalent. (And frankly, less comical than +1 Stun Mod on an EB)

Ahh... I see. Yeah' date=' I'd love to have the character creator from CO as a stand-alone application.[/quote']

The only thing better than that would be a "crippled" version of Poser that just let you make superheroes--they could sell it for about 30-50 bucks, and still make a killing, imo.

Before DoJ, lots of typos. When Heromaker was being produced, all the older characters were entered and almost all had math errors.

Sure, one can find some errors in current, but it's way less prevalent. (And frankly, less comical than +1 Stun Mod on an EB)

Well, that +1 STUN was due to the writer not really knowing the system (IIRC.)

You'd think they would carve it out of the main program and just sell the stupid thing for 40 bucks then allow folks to microtransaction the add ons......*sigh*....

~Rex

IT's not worth the money for the 100 or so people that would buy it. They would never be able to balance the engineering costs against sales. Also it's not in their best interest to sell a program that people would buy once. It is much better for them to sell you the CoX(or CO) game with the Char Gen and get the Monthly Sub fee+ Microtransactions, than just sell the costume generator alone.

The only thing better than that would be a "crippled" version of Poser that just let you make superheroes--they could sell it for about 30-50 bucks' date=' and still make a killing, imo.[/quote']

Actually the people who own Poser have a freebie version that you can add in their Costume and figure files to. It's a lost leader to get you to purchase the Addon files.

So my instantly regenerating Martial artist HAS to buy her PD&ED to 0 then buy Resistant Protection to have hardened and fully resistant Defenses? If that's the case it proves that the Resistant advantage was ill conceived. I should be able to buy the power either way and have the costs nearly equal in price (Give or take a point).

I believe this screwy little rules exception WILL produce similar or identical costs. That's because Resistant Protection has the "Resistant" as part of its Base Cost, to which Hardened will apply. However, the more fundamental question might be why we still have both the Resistant Advantage and the Resistant Protection Power. I would've preferred that if Damage Resistance were removed from the game, it simply be removed completely since it is redundant.

P.S.: NOW we're wandering off-topic. :P

Nope. You need to buy it twice.

That's not what the rules say. They say you must buy it on both your resistant and non-resistant PD, not that you must buy it twice on your resistant PD. Those are most definitely not the same thing.

Buying Resistant creates a separate Defensive Power.

So what? It has always been true that "Power X" and "Power X + Advantage Y" are separate powers. It does not then follow that buying "Advantage Z" for "Power X + Advantage Y" means you must buy "Advantage Z" on both "Power X" and "Advantage Y". Advantages are summed, never multiplied.