The Atlantis city-ship from Stargate:Atlantis -> vehicle or base?

Ragitsu

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Atlantis city-ship from Stargate:Atlantis -> vehicle or base?

Using HERO 6th Edition' date=' what would you build the Atlantis city-ship as?[/quote']

Base. It only moves a few times over the course of the series, so the fact that it can move is more of a plot device than an actual power. I asked Steve Long a related question a couple of months ago.

I'd build it as a base with movement powers. As mentioned, although it *can* move, it seldom really does. And I doubt the players (or the SG teams) would be able to use it effectively in combat. But, stranger things have happened. :)

Base.

OK, Atlantis can move. Sort of, sometimes - but the times it has moved have always been a Big Event, definitely not something done routinely (at least, not in its current state of repair).

The Base's main purpose isn't about moving around since Atlantis has all sorts of capabilities that are decidedly UNvehicular - such as science labs, manufacturing facilities, all that is needed for keeping a self-contained population in reasonable comfort, AND support off-world activities. Note all the stuff it has for that last - one Stargate (plus defensive shield), a number of Puddlejumpers, and docking areas (presumably with other facilties) for larger ships.

Along similar lines' date=' would you stat up an RV that rarely gets gasoline to be a base (however small)?[/quote']

What is the RV's purpose in the campaign? If the players are regularly going to be driving it around (even if getting fuel is a big deal), it's a vehicle. If the players just use it as a place to sleep and store their stuff, and the GM feels they should pay points for it, it's a really cheap base.

I tend to go with the majority here, that the Atlantis city-ship is a Base with Movement Powers (Flight, FTL, and MegaScale Teleportation). But I'd also consider making it a Base that Multiforms into a Vehicle, depending on what it might be able to do as a Base that it can't as a Vehicle.

What can a Base do that a Vehicle can't?

Depends on the base and the vehicle. The House in "Up" had electricity and running water; once the balloons turned it into a vehicle, the Vehicle form was no longer connected to the power grid or water pipes. So, it lost a few powers (Images defined as electric lights, HRRH defined as a TV with cable, any Internet access it may have had if the old man was using a cable or dial up modem, Life Support defined as Air Conditioning / Heat / a Fridge, etc.).

If the Base and Vehicle forms share all stats, powers and disads, no need to write it up as a Multiform.

I think then that a Base that can move would have to buy multiple Locations then.

Sure, if the GM rules it that way. Or he might just charge for one location (probably the most expensive), then rule that the base loses the benefits of that location when it moves. Certainly if the players want the benefits of their new location, they should pay for them.

The House in "Up" would not immediately get electricity and running water back when it landed. Arguably it would still be in Vehicle form. Alternatively, it could be back in Base form, but hadn't yet paid for the location and therefore wouldn't be hooked up to any external services.

I tend to go with the majority here' date=' that the Atlantis city-ship is a Base with Movement Powers (Flight, FTL, and MegaScale Teleportation). But I'd also consider making it a Base that Multiforms into a Vehicle, depending on what it might be able to do as a Base that it can't as a Vehicle.[/quote']

How strong do you think the Force Field Barrier is?

What can a Base do that a Vehicle can't?

In the case of Atlantis, I am guessing there are various functions that are switched off when the city-ship in travelling, if just for safety or practicality.

At the very least, there are the usual worries about power consumption - they always seem to be on the verge as regards that (rather like Scotty's ongoing worries about the Enterprise's Dilithium crystals in Star Trek). So it seems more than likely that less essential functions are shut off at this time.