Fused Powers

Reality

I meant to ask this back when MUA2 came out, and maybe someone else did and I can't find it, but how do you build a power with the Hero System that stems from two characters combining their Powers? An example would be a fiery tornado formed by combining Storm's weather-control powers and Magma's flame powers.

Re: Fused Powers

If it's two characters that combine into a stronger form, then as Hyper-Man mentioned, a Multiform, with the two forms being the merged form and a non-merged form with Always-On Duplication is the usual way to do it.

If it's two characters that are completely separate, but sometimes combine their powers to greater effect, then I'd do it like this:

Character #1 has: Blast 12d6, Only when Assisted by Character #2 (-?; the limitation would vary based on how often Character #2 was available - for a teammate, probably -1/2 or less).

Character #2 has: Aid (Boost) Blast 10d6 (standard effect: 30pts), Only to Aid Character #1 (at least a -1 limitation), Instant (-1/2)

So they need to synchronize their actions (with delay), and then they can unleash the souped-up combination attack. Which obviously doesn't have to be Blast, that just made for a simple example.

Another possibility is for each character to buy (for example) 12d6 Blast plus 12d6 Blast, Only When Assisted By Other Character.

You can also buy every (for example) plus 2d6 Blast with more Limitations: Increased Endurance, Extra Time, Gestures, and so on, representing the difficulty of fusing the two powers (if that makes sense for the concept; otherwise just use the build above).

I meant to ask this back when MUA2 came out' date=' and maybe someone else did and I can't find it, but how do you build a power with the Hero System that stems from two characters combining their Powers? An example would be a fiery tornado formed by combining Storm's weather-control powers and Magma's flame powers.[/quote']

In most cases things like that are simply 2 characters Coordinating attacks (6e1 pg 91 for Teamwork skill and 6e2 pg 44 for coordinating attacks). Both using AOE attacks and with some GM imagination and flexability gives you the Fiery Tornado from Storm and Magma. They probably also made a good Power skill roll too.

Is there a game effect or does it just look cool?

If it's just SFX, then it's purely good storytelling. If there's a mechanical aspect then a Coordinated Attack would be the least intrusive approach requiring little to no investment or pre-construction as it's a built in option.

If that's not good enough, then characters would have to invest points into it and build their characters to collaborate in such a fashion; however if they want to go that route then they can literally make such an effect do anything the GM wont veto and that they have the points to buy.

If the effect is that the damage increases or an otherwise single-target attack can be made AoE, I think you are going to have to pay points for it, although for a one time event I would let the heroes use a Power Skill roll to do it.

For the effect "Storm's whirlwind increases the oxygen level for flame powers so they do more damage", Storm needs to buy an Aid to Fire powers.

For the effect "Storm's whirlwind makes a single target attack AoE", Storm needs to buy an AoE naked advantage, limited by objects of opportunity. She could make a fire bolt into a flame tornado, use a sword to create a giant blender, or a box of nails make a shrapnel storm.

This is the kind of think I would just require a Teamwork and then Power roll from each character' date=' not a specific power build.[/quote']

Yep. The OPs example was one of spontaneity' date=' not preexisting character build.[/quote']

I would allow them to do this once with a Power Roll but if they wan't to do this on a regular basis they would need to buy it as a separate power.

I'd consider this just good gaming. No need to buy anything or do anything special. GMs should be encouraging this sort of thing from their players instead of making it more difficult/complicated. Keep in mind that instead of two attacks, the PCs are down to one. So -- in a sense -- they're already paying a price to combine their powers.

I'd consider this just good gaming. No need to buy anything or do anything special. GMs should be encouraging this sort of thing from their players instead of making it more difficult/complicated. Keep in mind that instead of two attacks' date=' the PCs are down to one. So -- in a sense -- they're already paying a price to combine their powers.[/quote']

You make a good point that the characters are already making a sacrifice for a more potent attack (although I think they should make some Teamwork rolls or Power skill rolls to properly implement it in any event - if it is too easy it saps the drama). Certainly this is creative gaming and should be allowed for unique situations or at dramatically appropriate moments. But if the characters want to do this on a regular basis, they need to pay points for it; IME players will default to the most damaging and effective attack and if you can take out a whole squad of agents with nothing more than a simple Teamwork roll they will use it every time.