The move to FTP

archermoo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The move to FTP

Free To Play

Means once you buy the game, you don't have to pay the subscription fee to play beyond the first month.

Technically, a game where you have to buy the box before you can play (without a monthly fee) is called B2P or Buy to Play.

Free to play games don't require a subscription and are free to download in the first place. Their revenue model is entirely microtransaction-based.

Currently you can download a free trial, but you need to buy a box to get a key for the full version (down to about $5 if you get it on sale now) and then pay a monthly subscription.

When they go FTP you'll presumably be able to download the complete game for free and have no monthly subscription on the Silver plan. Gold will still have a subscription, unless you're a lifetime subscriber.

Well you could make a new one or convert one of them. After all, if you're not subscribing right now you aren't playing them anyway. ;)

Personally I plan to leave my high level toons as gold toons (so if I ever do re-up, my high level toons will still be there), and convert a low level toon or make a new one, for those times when I do get an urge to scratch the Champions itch, but not so much so that I'm willing to pay for the privelage.

Actually, by the end of the character progression, both Archetypes and Gold characters have the same number of advantage points. There's an extra two advantage points at the end of the progression for Archetype characters. However, Gold characters still get three extra powers.

This is generally a bad move. If you look at the other Free to Play games, primarily Dungeons and Dragons online, they give you exactly the same classes and abilities as you would get with a VIP/Subscription. Further, they give you the exact same character progression whether you pay or play for "free". Poz is going in the wrong direction with this.

I thought you could just download the client already or is there free trial' date=' buy a key, then no month to month?[/quote']

Once they go live with the free to play model you will be able to play without having to buy anything. Not even a key.

I'm already a lifetime subscriber, so it doesn't really impact me much...

No comment on the hidden snippet of interesting for all paying members?

We've aimed to make each of these Archetypes feel like they had a niche slightly smaller than that defined by their role. For example, The Inferno is very focused on AoE powers, whereas The Savage has some AoE damage, but is much more focused on single targets. While these two don't have any new powers, we have made several new powers to fill out other Archetypes. These powers will of course be available within Frameworks to all free-form heroes.

Say what you want about archetypes, if in creating them it allows developers to find holes in the Frameworks I'm all for it. More options for subscribers is always a bonus.

Other good news: Passives will no longer be linked to specifc superstats; all passives will link to whatever SS you choose. More freedom and choice in making characters.

Subscribers get a monthly stipend of C-Store points.

Lifetime subscriptions are back on sale.

New powers, as mentioned above.

This is looking pretty good, actually. ::hugs original lifetime sub tightly::

Oh, about to start a themed supergroup, the Moldy Oldies. You have to play an old superhero coming out of retirement. So far, we have Granny Gatling, Grandapa Gizmo, Pappy Pacemaker, and the Senile Sentinel. Come help us chase those young whippersnapper villains off the Lawn of Justice! Aid us as we strike a blow against the secret headquarters of evil found in every little town. No farmers market will escape our wrath. PM if interested.

If the free to play have to use Archetypes, then does that mean returning former subscribers who go free to play won't be able to play their old characters?

I haven't read up on the details of this, seeing as my PC won't run the game well, but I'm mildly curious. (May get a faster PC eventually.)

If the free to play have to use Archetypes' date=' then does that mean returning former subscribers who go free to play won't be able to play their old characters? [/quote']

This is correct, the player will be able to retain the characters but as long as you are a Silver member you will not have access to them.