A star hero movie list

amanojaku

Could we get a sticky for a star hero movie list? It's the same idea as the reading list, and would apply to good SF movies that may be too obscure or hard to find for a lot of people to know about, but are still good viewing.

My recommendations would be "Moon Zero Two" and "Ikarie XB-1", the latter in it's original dialogue with subtitling.

Re: A star hero movie list

I'd suggest breaking the list down by era:

pre-50s--e.g. The Shape of Things to Come, Metropolis

50s--e.g., Forbidden Planet

60s--e.g., 2001, Planet of the Apes

70s--e.g., Star Wars

80s--e.g., Aliens

90s--e.g., Stargate, 5th Element

00s--e.g., Avatar, Chronicles of Riddick

There have probably been over 1000 science fiction films made and released to theaters over the past century. The number that are halfway decent AND relevant to a Star Hero movie list are substantially less than half that number, imo.

50s: The Day the Earth Stood Still, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Amazing Colossal Man

60s: Soylent Green

70s: Silent Running, Zardoz, Logans Run, Deathrace 2000, Rollerball, Flesh Gordon is pushing things... but its just so BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD, Rocky Horror Picture Show

80s: It Came From Hollywood... 90 minutes of MST3K style Narrated clips with an all star cast... over 100 bad movies with a complete list of clips in the closing credits

next category: Giant Monster Movies:

Deadly Mantis, Them, Tarantula, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, Food of the Gods, The Thing.

but some of less than halfway decent and irrelevant movies are the best

Star Trek 1 and 2 (late 70's and early 80's) I think can work. Even the newer one could be a more action packed version of the older ones.

If you want to inject comedy you got the classic Space Balls but I think it would fall under a parody more or less.

The Last Starfighter (with or without the guy from a backwater world saying the universe).

Then we got Dune and you can do what you want with it

I don't see why the reading list and this couldn't/shouldn't be stickied, both have good reason to be stickies as they provide good reff material for starhero campaigns.

Also, please try to come up with lesser known movies that are good reference for SFRPGs, they're the ones that need to be hyped.

Equilibrium, 2002, and to a lesser extent, Ultraviolet, 2006--dystopias, gun kata, dimensional storage, sci-fi vampires, gravity levelers, seriously tricked out handguns, etc.

1990s, Dark City

Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, 2000s

Surrogates, 2000s(bad film but some interesting concepts)

Pandorum, 2000s