Starting versions of Reed Richards and the rest of the Fantastic Four

Hyper-Man

Re: Starting versions of Reed Richards and the rest of the Fantastic Four

A 30 INT for the smartest man on the planet might be light, although what does further INT add mechanically? From a point based perspective, +3 INT would give him +1 with all intellect skills, and cost 1 point less than the skill level (no, skill levels aren’t overpriced at all!).

And technically Int doesn't relate to how "smart" the character is overall.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, it all depends on the comparables. If the group agrees 30 represents the peak of human intelligence, and this guy will typically be the smartest being in the campaign, then it is and it will. If the GM's Big Book of NPC's includes several dozen characters with 33+ INT, then it really isn't.

Much like Reed is being used to set the teammates' power levels, his INT is the logical benchmark by which all others are measured. Reed epitomized Hero INT - he's not just knowledgeable and brilliant - he's extremely quick on the uptake. The only lacking issue may be perception, but he always seems to notice that one tiny aperture in any trap through which his elastic form can pass, stretched to the diameter of a single wire.

re: 30 INT

I am still on the fence for a lot of the reasons already mentioned but a major reason I like 30 is that Reed's intelligence is still considered Human. AFAIK the cosmic rays that gave the team their powers didn't actually change this. So 'peak human' feels right. I did decide to use Universal Scientist and Scholar Talents though. I'm a little iffy on how to set his energy defenses and base defenses overall. I've seen him take on bricks with regularity but I don't recall that many examples of him going vs. energy projectors (at least not without Sue protecting him with an invisible force field). Here's another update:

I don't really follow the comic that closely, but about his stretchy-form shapeshift power. Does he ever change his actual form to try and hide or anything? He pretty much looks like Reed all the time even when he's all stretched out. I would just say that it's a special effect of whatever other power and skip the shapeshift.

I might throw in a 25% energy damage reduction too, just as an effect of "stretching out of the way" and to give him a little more balanced defenses. Oh, and put the DR outside the VPP.

Historically Reed's been pretty easy to burn or zap (though his uniform provides some protection), but is extremely resistant to blunt force (Ben Grimm+ strength opponents can hurt him by overstretching or tearing at him, but impacts from punches don't seem to harm him at all). Dropping the Resistant Protection in favor of more levels of Physical Damage Negation might be the way to go.

I don't really follow the comic that closely, but about his stretchy-form shapeshift power. Does he ever change his actual form to try and hide or anything? He pretty much looks like Reed all the time even when he's all stretched out. I would just say that it's a special effect of whatever other power and skip the shapeshift.

I might throw in a 25% energy damage reduction too, just as an effect of "stretching out of the way" and to give him a little more balanced defenses. Oh, and put the DR outside the VPP.

I've seen comics where he's shifted shapes to entertain his kids. But he rarely, if ever, uses it vs. opponents in a fashion similar to Plastic Man. I think it speaks more to choice than whether or not he's capable of it.

As a VPP slot, any sort of shapeshift and defense power does not change the cost structure of the character. Adding another defense outside of the VPP does and he's tight for points as it is. Right now the VPP allows 2-3 different abilities to be used at the same time.

Historically Reed's been pretty easy to burn or zap (though his uniform provides some protection)' date=' but is extremely resistant to blunt force (Ben Grimm+ strength opponents can hurt him by overstretching or tearing at him, but impacts from punches don't seem to harm him at all). Dropping the Resistant Protection in favor of more levels of Physical Damage Negation might be the way to go.[/quote']

I'm hesitant to rely completely on Damage Negation since it demands some wonky math by the GM when used vs. Advantaged attacks. I did forget to build his costume defenses though. Good catch!

I could see starting the FF off without costume defenses with the expectation that would be a purchase with xp (ie points are tight now' date=' so it's a future purchase).[/quote']

Very true.

Okay it's been a while since I read the FF but wasn't it recently stated that he can literally expand his brain and get more neurons firing to get smarter? It would be a scarey thing to walk in on him in a recliner with his head blown up the size of say a Volkswagen.

Okay it's been a while since I read the FF but wasn't it recently stated that he can literally expand his brain and get more neurons firing to get smarter? It would be a scarey thing to walk in on him in a recliner with his head blown up the size of say a Volkswagen.

This is something that gets touched upon every once in a while - usually is odd mini-series - and promptly forgotten in the main title.

*giggle* I saw this today as I was walking by my computer and today it looked like "Startling Versions of Reed Richards and the rest of the..."

I think the image of Reed with a Volkswagen sized noggin would count for startling!

:D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Re: Starting (PC) versions of Reed Richards and the rest of the Fantastic Four

Here is very very rough draft of Reed Richards. He still needs skills and complications fleshed out. I decided to focus on core powers first since he seems like the perfect example of a character that would spend nearly ALL experience points in game on other things (more skills, gadget pool VPP, base, vehicle) besides increasing his powers. He's still a fairly capable HTH combatant but mostly in a defensive way.

Comments and/or suggestions?

Here is the latest version:

Added Gadget Pool and updated to new export. It'll be a couple weeks before I renew my Hero Designer contract so no good way to add the HDC file in the mean time.

Reed Richards

Comments welcomed.

• 1 month later...

I just updated Reed's Intelligence to 60 (see link above). Working on Sue Storm now.

Here's her core powers:

253 Invisiblity & Force Field Projection: Variable Power Pool (Cosmic Powers), 150 base + 120 control cost, Powers Can Be Changed As A Zero-Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1) (330 Active Points); Limited Power - Invisibility and Invisible Force Field Based Abilities Only (-1/2); all slots Unified Power (-1/4) - END=

0 1) Barrier 15 PD/15 ED, 1 BODY (up to 12m long, 6m tall, and 1/2m thick), Dismissable, Non-Anchored, Impenetrable (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4) (120 Active Points); Feedback (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) Real Cost: 44 - END=12

0 2) Invisibility to Sight and Radio Groups , No Fringe, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Usable As Attack (x4 maximum weight per inanimate target; +2), Grantor pays the END whenever the power is used, Grantor controls the power totally (114 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1) Real Cost: 51 - END=10

Even with this many points in Powers and basic Characteristics she'll still have 50+ points left for Skills & Perks. It seems off but I'm just ballparking values right now. Comments?