A Marvel-ous Suicide Squad?

HawksmoorSD

I don't know why but I found myself looking up The Suicide Squad the other night. I loved the JLU episode where they invaded the Watch Tower. The idea of B and C list villains used as expendable cannon fodder for reduced jail time appeals to me and I think could make a great campaign.

So, in case you didn't get it from the title, who would be on the Marvel version of that team? I could see The Constrictor, The Shocker and Mr. Hyde off the top of my head. I'm wondering who else might end up in play?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A Marvel-ous Suicide Squad?

Suicide Squad was one of my favorite books back in the 80s. It really had a great Mission Impossible vibe. The only thing that has really sucessfully explored that territory recently is Secret Six/Villains United. Curiously, Deadshot appears in both books. He was also the highlight of that JLU episode. "Giddyup."

Anyway, Marvel sort of tried this with some of the material in Civil War/Thunderbolts and Siege. I hated Civil War and stoppped reading pretty soon in, so I can't comment too much. I caught most of Seige (at least the main book), and it paled in comparison to Suicide Squad. In their versions, they had the Taskmaster and Bullseye (often acting as Hawkeye) feature prominently.

I would love for Stilt-Man to be in this group, but they killed him off I believe. Maybe someone else could get the suit. Also, I miss Spot from Spider-Man. Is he still around? Ooh! Ooh! Batroc the Leaper. He already got a little bit of a retcon in his last couple of appearances as being more competent. It would be interesting to see him come back and be truly dangerous.

Random thoughts flying from my head...

I love the idea.

While I agree Mister Hyde is a B or even C villain, it just seems wrong that a primary Thor and secondary Hulk villain isn't an A.

Stilt-Man? Batroc? Sounds like the Thunderbolts game I used to be part of on Herocentral. It was a great game.

Frenzy is hot.

Thunderbolts pretty much is the Suicde Squad for Marvel, currently that is. I'd be down for a return of the John Ostrander helmed Suicide Squad coming back to DC myself. His team ups with Gail Simone on a few of the Secret Six issues are epic awesomeness.

~Rex

The obvious non-villain leader would be Captain America.

Maybe you could add a couple of reformed evil mutants.

Perhaps a non-powered thief type.

You could give the result a snazzy name, like, say... the Avengers, or Cap's Kooky Quartet. ;)

Actually, I would have picked US Agent as the leader type. He is a a semi-villainous Cap wannabe, with the right mentality. Oh, and you just know they would have to go on a mission with Nuke from Daredevil at least once, just to see if anyone could keep him on task.

Actually' date=' I would have picked US Agent as the leader type. He is a a semi-villainous Cap wannabe, with the right mentality. Oh, and you just know they would have to go on a mission with Nuke from Daredevil at least once, just to see if anyone could keep him on task.[/quote']beat me to it.

Random thoughts flying from my head...

I love the idea.

While I agree Mister Hyde is a B or even C villain, it just seems wrong that a primary Thor and secondary Hulk villain isn't an A.

Stilt-Man? Batroc? Sounds like the Thunderbolts game I used to be part of on Herocentral. It was a great game.

Frenzy is hot.

It's funny you mention this. How many bricks in Marvel are A list villains? The only one I can think of might be Juggernaut. Hyde, who you pointed out can take on Thor and the Hulk, gets taken out by Dare Devil all the time. Abomination hasn't really won a fight that I can ever recall. Rhino... well yeah you get the idea.

It's funny you mention this. How many bricks in Marvel are A list villains? The only one I can think of might be Juggernaut. Hyde' date=' who you pointed out can take on Thor and the Hulk, gets taken out by Dare Devil all the time. Abomination hasn't really won a fight that I can ever recall. Rhino... well yeah you get the idea.[/quote']

It's all true! While I love Marvel, it is just another example of Marvel Physics as we call it. Juggernaut topples building by running through them and has knocked out the Hulk with punches (in a kangaroo t-shirt even), but when he runs down various normal durability members of the X-men, like Cyclops and Storm, they get back up!

'Twas a good fight between the Rhino and the toned down Juggernaut awhile back. Some good Brick villains in the Marvel Universe. Still, a Leader plus seven super criminals forced to do good deeds, Marvel style could result in some interesting teams. Thunderbolts did kinda fit the mark once they went legit, but I think my team would look a bit different taking into account past continuity and a lot of the things the Initiative books got rolling.

~Rex

I could see Doc Samson.....especially considering his last bout of issues. Wouldn't be a bad pick and would add some brains and physicality to a team......

I might revise my own list in a bit. Need to think about Samson and a Suicide squad like impact he could have. It's tough with Marvel being that they already Have the Thunderbolts, and they have the Secret Avengers on top of that. But it's still an interesting idea.

~Rex

It went throgu the Criminals pretending to be heroes sponsored by the government, to, Criminals wanting to be heroes, sponsored by the goverenment, to back to the previous, to then something almost exactly like the Suicide Squad led by Luke Cage, to, something......not sure now but will catch up on eventually. It's not one of the books I follow regularly since it tends to wander.

~Rex

Wouldn't an ethical psychiatrist have problems with putting super-powered criminals with psychiatric issues and antisocial behavior problems into high-stress situations where they could easily become a danger to others?

Mind you, I'm not necessarily saying that Leonard Samson would...

Leonard Samson, Ethical? Heh, His origin alone kinda runs that into the ground......

That's before we get into the stuff Loeb did to him through the Hulk book over the last year or so, Red Hulk/Modok Conspiracy/Crazy Evil Samson personality etc etc .... About the only thing that came out of that was an interesting tidbit on how every Gama powered Marvel Hero or Badguy has serious Anger and or Other mental issues. Was an interesting hook.

As for the Danger to others. Go for the Suicide Squad Bomb implant/item of apparel.

It's still an interesting subject, though just about everything that the Squad would do is being done by the Secret Avengers, still, if you go for that with an All Badguy rouster led by one loyal Guv'ment handler, then you can, hmm, Rotate the cast occasionally and clean out some of the chaff and tailings in the line up as a whole.

~Rex

I like the idea of Samson as team leader (shocking I know). I think the idea of him trying to hold together a team with various mental issues would be interesting and creates a small departure from the homage source.

My roster might look like:

Doc Samson

Moonstone (maybe as a second in command)

Mr. Hyde

Deadpool

Typhoid Mary

The Punisher

More as I think of them...