Would you marry a near-human alien?

Steve

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would you marry a near-human alien?

I'd be more worried about the need to invent a non-allergenic prophylactic suitable for both species. If they're Neandertal-derived that probably won't be as much as a problem, but any sort of sexual recreation with something of non-terrestrial origin is just asking for some amazingly severe immune reactions, if not anaphylactic shock. Screw anatomical and psychological compatibility, biochemical compatibility is going to be the biggest hurdle.

I'd be more worried about the need to invent a non-allergenic prophylactic suitable for both species. If they're Neandertal-derived that probably won't be as much as a problem' date=' but any sort of sexual recreation with something of non-terrestrial origin is just asking for some [i']amazingly [/i]severe immune reactions, if not anaphylactic shock. Screw anatomical and psychological compatibility, biochemical compatibility is going to be the biggest hurdle.

For my invented Neanderthal race, I'm still thinking about what sort of technology they will be bringing with them. One idea I am considering is some sort of hormone treatment to render them infertile.

Appearance-wise, they are going to be a rather amazonian group of women, massing about 10% over a modern woman of the same height. Their average height will be in the range of 5'10" to 6' and weighing in the neighborhood of 150-160 pounds.

Due to a heavier bone structure, expanded lung capacity for dealing with environments with thinner air (like on shipboard), and greater muscle density, I'm estimating that their measurements will be about 38-26-38. Larger than modern women but not excessively so.

For my invented Neanderthal race, I'm still thinking about what sort of technology they will be bringing with them. One idea I am considering is some sort of hormone treatment to render them infertile.

Appearance-wise, they are going to be a rather amazonian group of women, massing about 10% over a modern woman of the same height. Their average height will be in the range of 5'10" to 6' and weighing in the neighborhood of 150-160 pounds.

Due to a heavier bone structure, expanded lung capacity for dealing with environments with thinner air (like on shipboard), and greater muscle density, I'm estimating that their measurements will be about 38-26-38. Larger than modern women but not excessively so.

I that case I don't see many problems - Neanderthals were human, after all.

I suspect that pheromones and major histocompatibility complex interactions play a much larger role in human mating than we tend to be aware. So unless their near humanness includes interactive chemicals' date=' I suspect that relationships would be pretty platonic even if visually they were attractive.[/quote']

They have done major research on Pheromones and have found no link to pheromones and who people fall in lust with. Remember a good reproducable pheromone is the holy grail of the Scent/perfume business. IF we actually were slaves to a chemical it would have been found by now.

http://www.livescience.com/3233-sexual-pheromones-myth-reality.html

• 2 weeks later...

Would I marry a near human alien? What a stupid question. I already did. She certainly isn't from Earth.

There can be consequences to intra-species intimacy though.

http://www.roboticbees.com/2010/04/schwimmer-jones-strange-bedfellows/

and

http://www.roboticbees.com/2010/05/schwimmer-jones-the-dawn-patrol/

It's essentially the same thing in reverse. Some would' date=' some wouldn't.[/quote']

Except that the question is almost never explored from that direction - Relative to audience sizes. Aliens are assumed to have human emotions and in "beauty and the beast" scenarios, it's almost never considered that, from the other perspective, the roles are switched.

Except that the question is almost never explored from that direction - Relative to audience sizes. Aliens are assumed to have human emotions and in "beauty and the beast" scenarios' date=' it's almost never considered that, from the other perspective, the roles are switched.[/quote']

Well, we basically know how human psychology works. Alien psychology is pretty much up in the air: it could range from viewing us as insects (relatively speaking) to adoring us without equal.

Well' date=' we basically know how human psychology works. Alien psychology is pretty much up in the air: it could range from viewing us as insects (relatively speaking) to adoring us without equal.[/quote']

True; however, that does not remove from the author the responsibility to think about such things if the story is going to encounter the situation

I'm estimating that their measurements will be about 38-26-38. Larger than modern women but not excessively so.

Sorry, I don't know of what land of pygmies you are from but I dont think of that as larger than my typical modern woman.