Would you marry a near-human alien?

Steve

This is a question related to my Near-Human Genetics thread.

If an alien species crash-landed on Earth, one very similar to humans in appearance, and you were able to interact with some of them, would they ever be a possible romantic partner/spouse to you? I'm picturing this as being a group of such refugees allowed to live in your town, one of many such groups spread around the US and maybe other countries.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Would you marry a near-human alien?

This triggers a couple of barely-relevant associations.

"Sorry, I don't date outside my species" is a classic old put-down line. Sort of weird to think it could become a statement that might become literal.

For another perspective, there's one from an old Playboy cartoon. In a stereotype house, two centaurs, male and female and both sort of older, are talking to a young male human. The male centaur says, "Son, what you have to understand is that back around the time you were born your mother and I were doing a lot of drugs."

Back on subject: I have a hard time imagining this could happen, but it might be something society would develop toward after a couple of generations. It depends too much on details about the aliens about whether it'd trigger my squick factor, but I imagine there would be enormous social pressure against it for quite a long time.

I've experienced love in which the person's outer appearance doesn't matter to me. She doesn't fit either the current cultural stereotypes of beauty, nor what I would normally call attractive; but I know the person she is, and to me she's very beautiful, and desirable.

Assuming emotional and physical compatibility between species, I could see it happening.

I've experienced love in which the person's outer appearance doesn't matter to me. She doesn't fit either the current cultural stereotypes of beauty, nor what I would normally call attractive; but I know the person she is, and to me she's very beautiful, and desirable.

Assuming emotional and physical compatibility between species, I could see it happening.

Heck, Men and Women are practically different species as it is. Relationships are not just about procreation. If there are two individuals, who have a lot in common, Sure, why not. And then there is the old adage about opposites attracting. Sometimes your heart tells you who you are going to love, rational thought often plays little role.

I think there would be a lot of social pressure against it. But when you start talking about aliens, there are a lot of variables in play.

From a gamiest it's an old trope, and one what shows up pretty much every time aliens encounter earthlings.

A few more thoughts:

You would probably be more likely to fall in love with a second generation alien, one who grew up listening to the same music you do, watching the same shows, etc. With the internet and the anomininity it brings, you might not realize that your friend is some alien freak thing.

You would have more in common, more things to "click" to connect to with a random alien who grew up on modern earth, then you would with a 100% genetically compatible human who grew up in, say, ancient Egypt. Even if you keep it to just modern times and people, I'm sure there are places you can go on earth where the folks seem totally alien in their ideas and world view.

Internet romance happens. That proves that Love can transcend physicality. Can't say that it's for everyone, but it's out there. Some people also go for farm animals, so a little fur a/o tentacles aren't a deal-breaker for some either...

I would have to agree that looks do not always matter when it comes to a marriage, as well, peer pressure would cause marriage to be difficult, but when it comes to pure sexual interactions...it would be quite high and probably be considered "kinky" to "get with an alien".

To answer the question, of course I would marry an alien where things worked out for the two of us. :thumbup:

I wouldn't rule it out in principle, but there are likely to be legal and social ramifications.

For example, if you mean a legal marriage, that might not even be possible - either because of positive legislation forbidding it, or because the courts had not yet settled the question of whether or no the aliens count as "people" with a right to marry, or if such a union would be like marrying a horse, a tree, a corporation, or anything else not human and thus not eligible to be a partner to a binding legal marriage.

Lucius Alexander

I could not marry the palindromedary legally in the state of Indiana, even if I wanted to.

Another thing to consider will be the general social view of such unions -- there may be widespread prejudice against such mixed marriages which makes life difficult for those involved. I speak from experience -- my ex wasn't an alien, but we weren't the same ethnicity, and we encountered a lot of disapproval from various indivuals bigoted scumbags. I don't call it "peer pressure" because I don't claim racists as my peers, but it's definitely a problem. (The first hurdle is: where will you get a mixed-species bride/groom for the top of the wedding cake? Yes, sadly, that's a real-life example.)

Look, polling people this forum is not really going to provide you with a representative sample of average folk. Most of us fanboys have spent our lives lusting after green chicks, Borg hotties, cat girls, and vampire seductresses. Clearly, if such beings existed, and it was possible to mate with them, many of us would, if only for the wish fulfilment factor.

In fact, if they are ever really able to make that sort of genetic alteration, there would be a certain sector of sex worker that would get those modifications just to make more money in certain markets. In the same way that a lot of adult entertainers get implants. Yes, and some guys would marry them.

Now, we have to do a lot of handwaving to make this about an actual alien. So there's some ridges-on-the-nose alien species like on Star Trek that we can mate with. Yes, I was into Nana Visitor on DS9. Leave me alone.

Anyway, we are culturally compatible enough that is feasible and desirable for both parties. Hmm? OK. Since we are in the land of pure fantasy, I would say yes.

Look' date=' polling people this forum is not really going to provide you with a representative sample of average folk. Most of us fanboys have spent our lives lusting after green chicks, Borg hotties, cat girls, and vampire seductresses. Clearly, if such beings existed, and it was possible to mate with them, many of us would, if only for the wish fulfilment factor. [/b']

Hey, as true as this is, there will be more races (actual races) and therefore, more options. Will there still be people who don't want to hook up with humans anymore, that aren't gamers? You bet.

Look, polling people this forum is not really going to provide you with a representative sample of average folk. Most of us fanboys have spent our lives lusting after green chicks, Borg hotties, cat girls, and vampire seductresses. Clearly, if such beings existed, and it was possible to mate with them, many of us would, if only for the wish fulfilment factor.

In fact, if they are ever really able to make that sort of genetic alteration, there would be a certain sector of sex worker that would get those modifications just to make more money in certain markets. In the same way that a lot of adult entertainers get implants. Yes, and some guys would marry them.

Now, we have to do a lot of handwaving to make this about an actual alien. So there's some ridges-on-the-nose alien species like on Star Trek that we can mate with. Yes, I was into Nana Visitor on DS9. Leave me alone.

Anyway, we are culturally compatible enough that is feasible and desirable for both parties. Hmm? OK. Since we are in the land of pure fantasy, I would say yes.

I fully understand where you are coming from, and my goal in the various postings I have recently been doing about aliens, alien biology, alien language, etc has been to help me discover areas where I need to do more thinking about in order to have a better campaign to present to my players.

Gamers and fanboys, like those on the Hero forums, are a good resource for picking out flaws and places needing to be filled in.

My original alien idea has slowly evolved with the assistance of comments from a vaguely generic concept into them being Neanderthals taken from Earth thousands of years ago. Those original ancestors were experimented on and genetically modified into a slave soldier caste (the females) and a technician/priest caste (the males).

Those lost children of Earth have now returned, bringing advanced technology with them. They are now integrating into our culture and finding their place among us.

I'm really grateful to those posters in my various threads who have given thoughtful comments.