Ward to keep out vampires

Hey gang, what do you think of the following build as a mystical ward or prayer protection that replicates the "must be invited" prohibition to keep vampires out of a building that's not a private home?

Threshold: Change Environment (-6 to EGO Roll for purpose of willingly crossing threshold), Long-Lasting (1 Day), Area Of Effect (32m Radius, Conforming; +1 1/4) (72 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Only Works Against Vampires (-1). Real Cost: 26 points.

Re: Ward to keep out vampires

My first thought when reading the thread title was: "how do you build kryptonite?".

I think change environment is probably the way to go but I would put the brunt of the cost on the assumption that all Vampires are built with a Disad/Complication "must be invited".

Another option would be to build it as Images vs. whatever sense a Vampire uses to determine if a building is a private home.

Going back to the kryptonite example, what if you wanted to build a lightsaber-like weapon that uses kryptonite radiation? What does the build need beyond a 'normal' lightsaber? At most a Variable sfx Advantage.

The same logic works with silver weapons vs. werewolves and wooden stakes vs. vampires. It's not anything extremely special about the substance or attack but rather a rare "allergy" of the target.

I agree, though it is setting dependent. After all, it is possible that vampires DON'T have to be invited into a house, that is just an urban myth that became popular because of how many mystics have historically known this 'vampire warding spell' and put it on stuff.

A barrier 'only VS vampires' has the benefit of lasting indefinitely once set up, though seems a bit kludgy in the sense that a really strong vampire could break it down, which seems... out of sorts. EGO or PRE should be the key-stats it seems. CE, Mind-Control, Triggered Mental-Entangle... lots of ways to go, I'll have to stat a few out to see what looks good.

Maybe. I'm just starting to feel like the 'Change Environment Ability Check Penalty' thing may be too cheap for its use. I've observed a character with it in a game (the Luck Powers 'Slip, Trip, and Fall') and it's a rare day when he doesn't drop people on their butts or make them drop their weapons at will.

Except the OP is asking for something that can be applied to a non-residential building, so building it as a Complication on the vampire wouldn't do it.

My only issue is that I'm used to vampires being constructed as having high EGO, so while a -6 is a lot, it might still be surmountable by a sufficiently powerful vampire. However, if that is the intention, then it works.

I agree with the others: Either it's a complication of being a vampire (like the compulsion to count things, Susceptibility [garlic and holy symbols]*, can't cross running water, Vulnerability to Wood[x times BODY], etc., etc., ...) or a Barrier.

On a though for that barrier:

How about declaring it a "Mental" Barrier? It has Mental Defense instead of the others (perhaps double of what 1 Piont PD or ED costs), you attack it with OMCV and use EGO instead of STR (including the 1 END per 10 EGO used).

Perhaps the Advanced Players Guide I or II (comming soon) has some rules about that? (Vampires are among the most typical undead out there).

_____

* The basic rulebook even contains this:

Susceptibility To Holy Ground: suffer Drain STR 2d6 + Drain CON 1d6 every Turn character is on holy or sacred ground

(Uncommon): 20 Character Points

Except the OP is asking for something that can be applied to a non-residential building, so building it as a Complication on the vampire wouldn't do it.

But the OP implies that vampires already have a complication vs. entering residential buildings without invitation.

I am only suggesting that any spell intended to extend this effect to a non-residential building only requires an adjustment of the 'aura-sfx' of the building. I don't think it matters much whether this is done via Change Environment or Images. It's like creating 'Holy Water' to be used vs. undead. What is the effect of Holy Water? Whatever the complication that is recorded on the undead character sheet.

But the OP implies that vampires already have a complication vs. entering residential buildings without invitation.

I am only suggesting that any spell intended to extend this effect to a non-residential building only requires an adjustment of the 'aura-sfx' of the building. I don't think it matters much whether this is done via Change Environment or Images. It's like creating 'Holy Water' to be used vs. undead. What is the effect of Holy Water? Whatever the complication that is recorded on the undead character sheet.

How about Transform. That's what I use to create "Holy Water".

How about Transform. That's what I use to create "Holy Water".

I was thinking the same thing. Make it a cosmetic transform since it is only changing the appearence of the building, and make it area effect. And in away it is just chaning the sfx as Hyper-man is talking about.

My only issue is that I'm used to vampires being constructed as having high EGO, so while a -6 is a lot, it might still be surmountable by a sufficiently powerful vampire. However, if that is the intention, then it works.

That was the idea, enough of a penalty that it would be difficult (but not impossible) for your standard vampire to force its way through, but somewhat easier for exceptional specimens. This approach also seemed more feasible than building with Barrier since one vampire overcoming the effect wouldn't automatically let others enter through a hole the first one made.

My only issue is that I'm used to vampires being constructed as having high EGO' date=' so while a -6 is a lot, it might still be surmountable by a sufficiently powerful vampire. However, if that is the intention, then it works.[/quote']

Depends on the interpretion. Is is not unusual to have lesser and higher vampires. In d&d there are Vampires and Vampire Spawns (basciall feral; everyone under level 4, bitten by one).

In other adoptions there are usually Normal Vampires and Single Master. Or even a chain of Spawns, Normals and a Master.

The higher usually controll the weaker ones, especially those they created. That speaks for a high PRE/EGO for them, and only them (as one with to much EGO might break free).

Or just say that more powerful vampires have a lesser version of the psych/physical limitation that prevents them from entering private homes without invitation. That then gives them a better chance to overcome said limitation with an Ego roll.

A spiritual Transform of a building?

Well if a vampire takes a Disad/Complication saying they can't enter a private home without invitation, how do they tell if it is a private residence before they enter? If it's a psychological limitation then its just a perception issue (hence my earlier Images suggestion). If it's a physical limitation then a transform could be used instead since the Images approach would seem to need vampires to have some sort of "detect private home" ability.

Depends on the interpretion. Is is not unusual to have lesser and higher vampires. In d&d there are Vampires and Vampire Spawns (basciall feral; everyone under level 4, bitten by one).

In other adoptions there are usually Normal Vampires and Single Master. Or even a chain of Spawns, Normals and a Master.

The higher usually controll the weaker ones, especially those they created. That speaks for a high PRE/EGO for them, and only them (as one with to much EGO might break free).

...how did my words get attributed to Matt in this post?

I favor Hyper-man's approach now that I understand it, followed by the EGO idea. If vampires are built with a Complication that limits their ability to enter private residences, then you just need a power that changes the "spiritual" or whathaveyou aura of a given building. Sounds like a Cosmetic Transform to me. Slap it together and get to gaming!

Depending on what you want to go by, a vampire cannot, no matter how hard they try enter into a non-public building without invitation.

In Buffy, there's some indication that Angel and the other vamps should not have been able to enter Sunnydale High, except for the sign on the front lawn inviting in all those who sought knowledge (the discussion between Angel and Miss Carpenter).

In Let the Right One In the vampire was unwilling to enter without the invitation. Not unable, but unwilling. Once she entered without invitation, she began to bleed rather seriously, until the boy relented, seeing what was happening, and invited her in.

Well first, I'd give him a follower (June Cleaver), two dependents (Wally and the Beaver), and possibly one hunted (Eddie Haskell).

I don't know how effective he'd be at keeping out vampires, though. :ugly:

Yes, how WOULD a cleaver work against a vampire?

Well if a vampire takes a Disad/Complication saying they can't enter a private home without invitation' date=' how do they tell if it is a private residence before they enter? If it's a psychological limitation then its just a perception issue (hence my earlier Images suggestion). If it's a physical limitation then a transform could be used instead since the Images approach would seem to need vampires to have some sort of "detect private home" ability.[/quote']

I am sort of with you here, but I think that it's not a power that the building has. It's a limitation that vampires have. I just would not bother to add that to every private residence I statted up in a horror campaign.

They have a total Psych limit that they would have to overcome to enter uninvited. I would probably roll that into a generic tradition vampire psych limit, based on how I would want vampires to work in my world.

It's not always consistent. Sometimes they take damage from contact with holy symbols. At other times it's strictly psychological. Sometime they are vunelrable to silver. Sometimes not. It's very campaign specific, so my answer above is intended as a default for the common modern interpretation of the European vampire myth.

Now, if there was a spell that could bind the undead or act as a ward on open ground, I would go with Mind Control, Area Efffect, Constant, Persistent, Trigger (attempt to pass through or out of this area), limited to one command( stay out of or stay in place), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge (1 day or something). I think that would work. I am without a book, so I might have left something out.

In Let the Right One In the vampire was unwilling to enter without the invitation. Not unable' date=' but unwilling. Once she entered without invitation, she began to bleed rather seriously, until the boy relented, seeing what was happening, and invited her in.[/quote']

I am very unwilling to impale me on a sword or walk into vacuum of space, so no wonder.

Take this:

Susceptibility To Green Argonite: 3d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon): 25 Character Points

And relabel it to "private homes, she's not invited to" and change the Common/Uncommon Value and Point Value accordingly (Most likely Very Common/35 CP). Damage is STUN, no defenses. After loosing conciousness, damage is BODY, no defenses.

When she has a Ressurection Power, it most likely has the limitation: Not when died while suffering form Susceptibility. Most likely all of her powers have this limitation (just like the Argonians and the Green Argonite), so no Regeneration/Self Heal, Turn to dust, Charm people to invite her, etc....

Depending on what you want to go by, a vampire cannot, no matter how hard they try enter into a non-public building without invitation.

In Buffy, there's some indication that Angel and the other vamps should not have been able to enter Sunnydale High, except for the sign on the front lawn inviting in all those who sought knowledge (the discussion between Angel and Miss Carpenter).

In Let the Right One In the vampire was unwilling to enter without the invitation. Not unable, but unwilling. Once she entered without invitation, she began to bleed rather seriously, until the boy relented, seeing what was happening, and invited her in.

Buffy had an actual physical force that prevented entry. At last it appeared to work that way. It could have been the excellent mime skills of the actors involved, but I remember at east two occasions when vampires stopped as if they hit a brick wall at the threshold.

Buffy had an actual physical force that prevented entry. At last it appeared to work that way. It could have been the excellent mime skills of the actors involved' date=' but I remember at east two occasions when vampires stopped as if they hit a brick wall at the threshold.[/quote']

A Mental based, "Telekinetik" barrier. Not attackable (except for dispel/drain) but hold the not so living out. To reproduce such an effect (especially since it would let her attacks trough, right?) may be impossible for this system.

This is more the stuff for a Plot Device, not an actuall player Power.

By the way, I have just noticed that the OP had his answer found in Post Nr 12. So aside from talking about different Interpretions of the "Vampire can not enter"-fact, we can't do much more here :)