NASA Unveils New Spaceship Plans

tkdguy

Re: NASA Unveils New Spaceship Plans

How long would the trip to Mars take?

How long does it take to travel 100 ft? (Depends on whether you are on foot, on a bike, in a car, or riding a rocket sled.)

By minimum-energy Hohman transfer orbit, figure 7-9 months. If your matter-energy-conversion engine lets you boost at a constant 1 g, I think you can get there in under a week.

The plans call it a vehicle for deep space exploration' date=' but it goes on to say it's meant to go to Mars. I wouldn't exactly call Mars "deep space" but YMMV.[/quote']

For our backwater civilisation with it's current techlevel this is Deep Space.

There was a time for us, when the great lakes looked like we could never pass them. Later the Oceans where the final frontier (before columbus they where the end of the world). I guess starting to really swim in the "black sea" is the next step to take.

If I remember correctly' date=' figures for a VASIMR-propelled craft is a fortnight, one way.[/quote']

I think the Nasa once had plans to seperate Engine and Ship: One big plasma beam emitter on earth, one on Mars. That way you don't have to drag your fuel around, greatly decreasing mass.

The Older Orion Project, using nuclear pulse propulsion (you drop atom bombs behind you) could have done it in 125. With eight astronaut and about 100 tons of freight. To bad the cold war was in the way...

And how do they get back? Or are we needing to implement Martian Immigration laws before it leaves?

I'm fairly certain that NASA has a plan to do this. They make their mistakes (meters vs. feet, anyone?) - but I would imagine the general plan is to carry enough fuel and supplies to get there and back again.

The thing about VASIMR is that it can vary its speed. From what I've read, the plan is to first send robots and equipment to Mars using the slow drive. Once the robots build the habitat, humans travel to Mars using the fast drive.

Here's a technical paper from NASA which I've used as research for my campaign. Note that it doesn't include the robots, but I think that part came in later.

Mind you, the VASIMR program has its share of critics.