APG II Commentary/Discussion thread

megaplayboy

Re: APG II Commentary/Discussion thread

Question: is AGP2 going to be published in hard copy or remain a .pdf? If it is going to be a hard copy can you take advantage of any bundling discount if you buy the .pdf now and get the hard copy later' date=' or am I beter off waiting until it gets printed and ordering then?[/quote']

I asked about a hard copy version, but received no answer.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is one source (the Champiosn Rulebook?) that notes that the deities in a modern setting are around 2000 point's. And they were way more powerfull when it was their time...

Good point, it looks to me like Active Point benchmarks for magic in the era of Atlantis are about double that of modern setting books. So 200 AP would easily be within the capabilities of lots of deities and even some of the more powerful human mystics in a magic-rich time like that.

Hey guys! APG2 is going to the printer this week. Sorry' date=' hiding questions for management inside a thread sometimes results in slow answering, since I don't have time to read every thread on the board... dw[/quote']

I appreciate the info, Mr. Watts. Also, would you happen to know when it'll be available on Amazon?

Then it is a joke who's humor i'm failing to appreciate.

That's understandable, nobody appreciates my humor.

But honestly, the book is not even at the printer. And you want him to tell you what day it will be available on Amazon. Really? And you asked in a thread where he said it's not easy answering questions buried in a thread. Do you really expect him to give you a date.

Don't take this the wrong way please. I just found your post funny. I mean, you didn't even ask when it would be available in their own store...you asked about Amazon. When do you think Noble Knight will have it. I'm guessing last quarter of 2011 or first quarter of 2012.

That's understandable, nobody appreciates my humor.

But honestly, the book is not even at the printer. And you want him to tell you what day it will be available on Amazon. Really?

Really. Is this hard for RPGers to grasp? I thought we had "open minds".

I don't know the correlation between Actually Printed and Available At Major Online Store Z works, which is part of why I asked.

And you asked in a thread where he said it's not easy answering questions buried in a thread.

Well, asides from the fact that the thread was only two pages long at that point, i'd say that it definitely wasn't a buried question once read.

Do you really expect him to give you a date.

I expected a general estimate, but a specific date would be nice (if unlikely).

Don't take this the wrong way please. I just found your post funny. I mean' date=' you didn't even ask when it would be available in their own store...you asked about Amazon.[/quote']

A real laugh riot! I did not ask, because I have no plans on purchasing it from that store.

Wow. OK, this is getting better.

I really don't think he knows yet when APGII will be made available on Amazon. I really don't think he knows yet when it will be made available anywhere. Why don't you keep checking with Amazon and let us all know if you find out anything. I'll do the same.

I really don't think he knows yet when APGII will be made available on Amazon. I really don't think he knows yet when it will be made available anywhere. Why don't you keep checking with Amazon and let us all know if you find out anything. I'll do the same.

Okay, that is uncalled for.

I am pretty certain Daren watts knows of things like the Auto-Subscribe on Reply feature and has it activatied so he can see any follow up questions. And if or if not he can answers is something only he knows.

And the only way to find out is to give him a few days to find this question and answer.

Normally we mock badwrongfun as being irrelevant, but when you single out another poster for ridicule, that is perhaps the ONLY definition of badwrongfun we recognize. Play nice. Please.

Look, I said the post made me laugh, not the poster. This "log-jam" and prioritization of the release schedule has been asked to death. I'm of the opinion that if there were any updates, SL or DW or somebody would tell us. We will know as soon as they know. So when somebody asks about when this will be out or when that will ship, it makes me laugh (it's the futility of the question being asked). The next post that asks when CV3 comes out is going to make me laugh too. You've been warned.

And given the accuracy of Amazon's release date with regards to gaming products, does it really matter.

You've been warned.

Ridiculing the well formulated and totally normal question is definitely not what I consider okay.

Making a useless, hurting comentare is simply bad. And no amount of forwarning can change that.

And given the accuracy of Amazon's release date with regards to gaming products' date=' does it really matter.[/quote']

To those wo want to/have to order from them: A lot!

Has any formed an opinion on the "social combat" rules?

I like the talent version of the social combat rules, and I've already created a teenaged NPC in my Icons campaign that makes heavy use of them. I've posted the character, Lillian Penrose, into the Champions forum for anyone that cares to look at her.

The addition of Offensive and Defensive Social Combat Values is something I don't mind adding, but the other extra chatacteristic suggestions were a bit much.

Has any formed an opinion on the "social combat" rules?

I like it how the options (or consideration and rough ideas) can be scaled anywhere from "use the existing skills" to "It's a conflict on par with mental or physical combat".

It gives the HERO-System the unique ability to mimic every gamsystem from "a little bit more complex/detailed" social conflict to Warhammer Fantasy (that uses the same initiative/exhausting/action concept for both combat and social interaction) or to the rarest where there literally is no difference between Social and Physical combat (the only example I know of is Spacestation Adamant; here the English Light Rulebook).

That means it is way easier to copy settings from systems that focus heavily on social interaction or even set it equal to physical combat in meaning/rulesdetail and thus adventure/setting importance.

... or to the rarest where there literally is no difference between Social and Physical combat (the only example I know of is Spacestation Adamant; here the English Light Rulebook).

Not as rare as you might think. i count six professionally published games I own dead-tree copies of that don't have combat-specific rules. (Polaris (Ben Lehman in Nostalgia Studio, 2005), Baron Munchausen (Hogshead Publishing, 1998), and four games from the No Press Anthology (Snowball by Alexander Cherry, Pretender by Kirt Dankmyer, WTF? by Daniel Solis, Cell Gama by Mike Homes, and Over the Bar by Ben Lehman), anthology published in 2004 by Luke Crane).

Most of this stuff I think I can pass on. I am interested in Create Object and Probability Manipulation. If it's not too much trouble' date=' could someone give me a quick rundown on those, so I an see if I want to spend the money. They seem ripe for abuse.[/quote']

Propabiltiy Alteration:

You can Reroll X times/day (you literally have to buy every single charge). Standart is that you have to keep even a worser result (unless you invest another of your charges) but you can also just advantage it to "the better of both" or even "rerol this one propabilty change until a better result is archieved".

Not really much of abuse potential, I think the rules have it covered solid.

Create Object:

The rules make it clear, that this is no substitute for another power. The worst damage you could do is craete a toaster and hit your enemy with it (using the normal rules for improvised, non weapon objects and maximum damage).

There is a extensive list of what the power is NOT and what it cannot be used for (basically anything that falls into the realm of another power, talent or perk). In fact it has no game effect and might be outright useless to write onto your sheet, but you might use it for good roleplaying effect. (for most part I would let it's domain fall under a Power Roll).

Create Object:

The rules make it clear, that this is no substitute for another power. The worst damage you could do is craete a toaster and hit your enemy with it (using the normal rules for improvised, non weapon objects and maximum damage).

To use your full STR of 65 (13d6) you need an object with at least PD+Body of 13. You get 4 for the first 20 CP, then can buy up the body at 1:1 rate in 3 point "blocks" so at only 29 Base Points/AP and 3 End you get an object that can do as much damage as your bare 65 STR hand (without touching the target). Increasing it further gives you 3 DC per 6 CP, but the extra AP and Endurance should cover it for 90% of all chases.

[Previous reply removed by author as being' date= perhaps, inappropriate.]

Your "humor" is only funny to you. To the rest of us it just sounds rude. Is that really the effect you're trying for?

Of course not. I would never try to hurt someone by sounding rude when I laugh at something that was posted. I hope Darren will answer the question soon so we can all put this behind us. I apologize.

The restrictions on Object Creation are very much up to the GM and the campaign in question. A suggested rule of thumb is that the anything the GM wouldn't normally charge character points for is possible particularly if its for non combat use. As far a my personal style comes I think some of the examples are bit too restrictive such as being able to create food and drink. I can't imagine that being unbalancing in most games and its a bit more granular and less kludgy than a complicated LS build for feeding others or a ordinary house but I wuoldn't charge a character to have a house or to go get his friends some burgers either. But yes, if you interpret the guidelines as rigidly as possible (The Power can't do anything another Power could) then it is almost worthless since there is alternate way to purchase almost anything (thought it may not be nessecarily better).