Mayan temple found in Georgia (US)

Sociotard

Ruins of a Mayan temple have been uncovered in Georgia. Of course, now it just looks like a hill, but they've demonstrated that 1,100 years ago, it was much more interesting.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/22/1100-year-old-mayan-ruins-found-in-north-georgia/

It could be good fodder for a pulp story. Add a little exotic flavor to a campaign that never leaves the US. Also, I'd expect the locals can expect a little looney tourism from the 2012 believers.

Re: Mayan temple found in Georgia (US)

It pretty much is bullcrap. There is a great deal of evidence for 'mound building' civilizations in the southeast. I'm sure there could be *some* cultural transmission if the civilizations existed at the same time, but unlike today, travel was not easy; any "Mayan" influence would have been eighth or ninth-hand removed from the original source at best.

The rebuttal makes the point that this man is writing a book to be released in 2012, to cash in on the 2012 hysteria. It's entirely possible he's seeing evidence for his book where careful investigation would show there is none.

So what if it's fake? This is a great idea. Heck, there's a million modern era superhero stories you could get out of this, too. The point was to show how cool this would be in Pulp Hero, not to take a dump on the "researcher" and whether he's real or not.

And repped.

Bah. Can't get him.

It pretty much is bullcrap. There is a great deal of evidence for 'mound building' civilizations in the southeast. I'm sure there could be *some* cultural transmission if the civilizations existed at the same time, but unlike today, travel was not easy; any "Mayan" influence would have been eighth or ninth-hand removed from the original source at best.

The rebuttal makes the point that this man is writing a book to be released in 2012, to cash in on the 2012 hysteria. It's entirely possible he's seeing evidence for his book where careful investigation would show there is none.

This reminds me of the story of the Viking runes found in, I believe Minnesota. The farmer who found it was riddiculed for the rest of his life. And after he died I believe the runes turned out to be real. Starcloud has a point that the athor might be trying to make a proffit. But to summarily dismissed the idea because it seems incredulous is not very scientific. And what a great pulp idea!

So what if it's fake? This is a great idea. Heck, there's a million modern era superhero stories you could get out of this, too. The point was to show how cool this would be in Pulp Hero, not to take a dump on the "researcher" and whether he's real or not.

And repped

Bah. Can't get him.

Repped him for yah!

Regardless of whether or not it's real (and it can always be hijacked for plot ideas, whether or no) I think this is the best comment from the rebuttal, posted by someone living in the area:

"Thanks, I knew that the claims reeked of rotten fish. I live in the area and not a single one of us has ever heard the word Maya when the old ruins crop up. The only Mayan ruins in North Georgia are made of legos and found in my daughter’s room. She is from Guatemala."

Posted for humour value only.

Ruins of a Mayan temple have been uncovered in Georgia. Of course, now it just looks like a hill, but they've demonstrated that 1,100 years ago, it was much more interesting.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/12/22/1100-year-old-mayan-ruins-found-in-north-georgia/

It could be good fodder for a pulp story. Add a little exotic flavor to a campaign that never leaves the US. Also, I'd expect the locals can expect a little looney tourism from the 2012 believers.

That story basically says "maybe Mayan." Looks disputed. Still good for a game, though!

This reminds me of the story of the Viking runes found in' date=' I believe Minnesota. The farmer who found it was riddiculed for the rest of his life. And after he died I believe the runes turned out to be real. Starcloud has a point that the athor might be trying to make a proffit. But to summarily dismissed the idea because it seems incredulous is not very scientific. And what a great pulp idea![/quote']

The Kensington Runestone?

• ^ "forskning.no Kan du stole på Wikipedia?"
    (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-12-19. "Det finnes en liten klikk med amerikanere som sverger til at steinen er ekte. De er stort sett skandinaviskættede realister uten peiling på språk, og de har store skarer med tilhengere." Translation: "There is a small clique of Americans who swear to the stone's authenticity. They are mainly natural scientists of Scandinavian descent with no knowledge of linguistics, and they have large numbers of adherents."
  • ^ Gustavson, Helmer. "The non-enigmatic runes of the Kensington stone". Viking Heritage Magazine (Gotland University) 2004 (3). "[...] every Scandinavian runologist and expert in Scandinavian historical linguistics has declared the Kensington stone a hoax [...]"