Hero System 5E vs HS 5E revised

memorax300

I have a freind interested in getting into the Hero System. He is not sure if he wants to buy 5E or 6E. I came across a used 5e unrevised copy at the local FLGS. My question is between revised and unrevised is their enough of a big difference between the two? You can still get the hS 5E revised online at amazon just very pricey. The usee copy is 10$. Let me know what i should advise my friend to do.

Re: Hero System 5E vs HS 5E revised

First, some backstory....

5er is essentially* a combination of the original 5e & all the 5e Rules FAQ entries up to that point.

*There were a few obscure but specific changes not covered in the FAQ. I'm sure some deeper searching could unearth another thread on the subject.

Here's another great thread worth a look:

5er to 5e Page Numbering

Hope that helps.

I agree. The improvements are worth the extra up front cost. It's just unfortunate that the hard copies are currently out of print.

The Basic Rules may be enough for your needs. If not, 6e Vol 1 is still available from the Hero Store as a damaged item for a bargain price (and vol 2 is widely available). So it's not difficult or expensive to get into 6e.

For interested parties, apparently there are still copies of the Fifth Edition, Revised rulebook in the Hero Games website store, brand new, for $25.00: https://www.herogames.com/viewItem.htm?itemID=190575

I never bought the Revised book, sticking with my original FREd, but at that price I might just go for it.

While I agree the latest edition is the better game, that doesn't make 5th edition (unrevised) a bad deal at $10.00

Biggest problem with unrevised 5th is with Healing, which is implied to be a once in a lifetime event. The revision fixed that, sort of, to once a day. With an Advantage to make it more often.

Even if he's eventually going to go for 6th, it might be worth $10.00 to find out if he really likes the system. Of course, for not much more he can get the 6th edition Hero System Basic Rulebook in PDF form (about $15.00) For about $11.00 more than that, he can get the PDF PLUS the hardcopy.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's not so much not wanting to get the 6E books so much as their being so many more books for 5E. With 5E you have a vehicle book with 6E who knows when it will come out according to him at least. also thanks for the link to 5E revised in the HG stores. Imo hard to naviage.

It's not so much not wanting to get the 6E books so much as their being so many more books for 5E. With 5E you have a vehicle book with 6E who knows when it will come out according to him at least.

I wouldn't let the perceived abundance of 5e material affect your decision. Converting between the two editions is relatively minor.

I wouldn't let the perceived abundance of 5e material affect your decision. Converting between the two editions is relatively minor.

As I said it's not for me. I have both 6E books and want to buy more. It's up to my freind to decide which version he wants to purchase. I'm just trying to give him as many options as possible.

As I said it's not for me. I have both 6E books and want to buy more. It's up to my freind to decide which version he wants to purchase. I'm just trying to give him as many options as possible.

I'd still recommend 6e. There won't be any more 5e material ever. Buying 5e would like buying Windows XP - it's perfectly serviceable, but obsolescent.

I'd still recommend 6e. There won't be any more 5e material ever. Buying 5e would like buying Windows XP - it's perfectly serviceable' date=' but obsolescent.[/quote']

It's up to him now. I gave him my honest opinion on what he should do now it's up to him to use it as he sees fit. I can't very well ram 6E down his throat.

It's up to him now. I gave him my honest opinion on what he should do now it's up to him to use it as he sees fit. I can't very well ram 6E down his throat.

Sure you can. You just have to turn the books at a 45 degree angle first...