Spider powers activate!

quozaxx

I am making a spider type creature.

The creature makes a web and a victim unknowingly gets caught in it. (Entangle with the trigger option).

When a victim is caught in the web, the spider creature KNOWS that they have been caught.

The spider creature does not have to be in the same room to know this.

How would you write this up? Detect with a trigger? Clairsentience? Or Other option?

Re: Spider powers activate!

Spiders are normally in contact with the web when a critter hits it. That's how they know' date=' aside from the vibrations created by the thing trying to get out of the web, that it is there and where it is in the web.[/quote']

That is why I would go for Range on Normal Touch, Material Manifestation.

I don't think you need to buy it at all, assuming you're talking about the spider feeling the entrapment even though it's in a different section of the web. After all, I don't need to buy any special ability to feel the floor vibrate when a big truck rumbles by, or feel the swimming pool water move when someone else jumps in. The spider's sense isn't Ranged... the motion of the victim is causing the web to move at the spider's location. It's not part of the Power per se; it's just a trait of the environment, IMO. :)

The thing is that I don't want my spider creature to HAVE to touch his web to know someone's in it. I want him to even be in another room.

If you vibrate the floor (or web) in apartment 12A and spider creature is in apartment 1C... You see my dilemma?

Let's try to build it:

(optional) Ranged for Normal Touch (5); Only through Clairsentience (-1/2)

Note: Might still be needed even with Clairsentience to "feel" around the perception point, not only exactly at it. Normal Touch already has 360° Arc of Perception

Feel the Web: Clairsentience (Touch), 20 Base; Only one Sense (-1/4), Only where Webs are (-1/2, strongly depending on max Nr. of Nets).

The Web itself:

Could see multiple builds, inlcuding Area of Effect with Continuing Charges/Time Limit and "Not moving in the area" as the condition to turn it off/avoid it.

Well if the SFX is a web connected by a line that the Spider reels out behind it with anchors of several points like a real spider it would be a clairsentience touch to acertain range with limitations of only the web it is attached to and not if it is cut. But then cuting the line would give a short "touch" clairsentience at the point of cutting which may be missed.

But then you could also trip over the line and set it off!

It's probably easiest to build it as a Detect. "Detect Web Entanglement", you could attach it to Touch which makes a lot of sense then add the Ranged adder. Now someone walks into the web and the spider automatically gets a perception roll to detect the prisoner. Subtract the appropriate range modifier, which also makes sense. Perfect!

It's probably easiest to build it as a Detect. "Detect Web Entanglement"' date=' you could attach it to Touch which makes a lot of sense then add the Ranged adder. Now someone walks into the web and the spider automatically gets a perception roll to detect the prisoner. Subtract the appropriate range modifier, which also makes sense. Perfect![/quote']

I would consider no range modifier and a form of indirect so you can be hiding or odd angle. Also, perhaps discrimitory so you have an idea of how big the object is creating the vibrations and perhaps how many things making vibrations. (You beat me to this build).

I would consider no range modifier and a form of indirect so you can be hiding or odd angle. Also' date=' perhaps discrimitory so you have an idea of how big the object is creating the vibrations and perhaps how many things making vibrations. (You beat me to this build).[/quote']

A general Idea of "Intensity" can be archieved with Detect itself.

If it is bought as part of the touch group, it get's the free partial Discriminatory.

A full Discriminatory isn't impossible, but it doesn't seems like what he is after.

A general Idea of "Intensity" can be archieved with Detect itself.

If it is bought as part of the touch group, it get's the free partial Discriminatory.

A full Discriminatory isn't impossible, but it doesn't seems like what he is after.

Two things, first when suggesting powers and builds, I'm assuming because its under the Champions thread then the build can be allowed to be more supery than a "realistic" build. And second, I knew about the partial discriminatory and also that there was a fracas over exactly what partial and full discriminatory gave so erroring on the side of caution, that's why I suggested the full discrimination (to save on arguments :)). To me fwiw I see the partial only telling you yes or no. Either there is a vibration or there isn't. With full discrimination the PC can distinguished between light and heavy vibration (a child versus a really heavy person) and maybe a rough number. Also perhaps the PC should have tracking only on web? That could be nasty! :)

To me fwiw I see the partial only telling you yes or no. Either there is a vibration or there isn't. With full discrimination the PC can distinguished between light and heavy vibration (a child versus a really heavy person) and maybe a rough number. Also perhaps the PC should have tracking only on web? That could be nasty! :)

Are you eyes, ears, and sense of touch only telling you "yes or no"? I doubt it, as you could not write that way.

Normal human senses are the book examples for the free, partial Discriminatory.

I think I know what you mean now:

If you used only your touch sense (not any detect) to measure movement of the web, then yes:

It would only tell you yes or no.

But in the ideas so far we have a 3 point Detect - a totally seperate sense - that piggibacks on the Sense Modifiers of Touch.

A Detect Gold asigned to no sense group can tell you more precisely if that is gold than all of your normal senses togehter, but it only gives you a Yes or No. (but would propably still clearly figure out if there is one gold ingot or the entire load of ford knox in front of you).

When you put the same Detect Gold in your Smell Group, it get's Sense and partial Discriminatory for free*. That means it works without action on your part and gives you more information than just Yes or No:

You can at least take different gold compounds appart (as gold will always have other stuff mixed in it, thus making no two pieces of gold absolutely identical).

When you have two roughly identical pices (mass and position of gold) whose material was melted in the same melting pot, you won't be able to take them appart (this is like taking identical twins appart with your sight). You would be able to take the gold cat statue and and the gold coated cat statue appart (obviously different mass/position). You would be able to take them appart if the material came from different melting processes (like one twin having a tan).

You can't identify the specific other materials mixed into the gold compound (that requires Detect Metal).

You can't get the exact amount of Gold mixed in the compound, but experience would allow you to take 30% and 90% gold appart.

*or almost free. It get's a lot of downsides as well.

Are you eyes, ears, and sense of touch only telling you "yes or no"? I doubt it, as you could not write that way.

Normal human senses are the book examples for the free, partial Discriminatory.

But remeber though that human senses are not all equal either. We get more free from sight than from touch. And like I said there was a debate about what partial gives you versus full discrimanation. (Which i'm trying to avoid :))

But remeber though that human senses are not all equal either. We get more free from sight than from touch. And like I said there was a debate about what partial gives you versus full discrimanation. (Which i'm trying to avoid :))

That only seems so, because sight is ranged. Wich in turn means there are more information sources availible. That sight is the only targeting sense also mixes comparsions up (because things that are about targetting are mixed up with things that come from Discriminatory).

The partial Discriminatory on Sight is the same worth as the one on Touch.