Darren's Golden Age Champions Playtest: the United Sentinels of America

Epiphanis

Darren Watts has been preparing material for a new edition of the Golden Age Champions supplement for... a goodly while. For the last year I've been fortunate enough to be in the playtest of said materials, and if you are eager to see that new material in print, well, I can attest that you really, really should be. There is a *ton* of great stuff that has never seen print before... what has been hinted at in previous books barely scratches the surface of the entirely fresh world of Champions during the World War II era.

The first playtest group is playing out the endgame now, and should wrap up within a month. I wanted to memorialize the group the playtesters created before it went away forever. Here are the United Sentinels of America, greatest heroes of the first iteration of the Champions 6th Ed Golden Age:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42785[/ATTACH]

If some of those faces seem familiar, its probably because Storn helped design the looks of most of them and posted them in his own art thread. One or two of the player characters may make their way into the finished product, but alas the full awesomeness that my fellow playtesters brought to the project will remain a private affair ... you'll have to motivate Darren to write the book and inject your own characters' awesomeness into the world he has created. But be warned, you will have some big shoes to fill!

Re: Darren's Golden Age Champions Playtest: the United Sentinels of America

I get behind them all. It's a hero system product. I don't need that much incentive, to be completely honest. But I am looking forward to this. I'm not a collector or a hoarder. It's just that now that everything is a freelance project and I'm actively employed, I should do unto other Hero Freelancers as I would hope they do unto me, and that means supporting all the Hero kickstarters in some fashion. I don't have to like them (Although I LOVE this one), that's not what's important. It's the principle of the thing.

I'm a low tier guy as far as Hero is concerned. I publish a couple adventures a year. Soon, I'll throw in a campaign supplement every so often. (Even though most of my adventures are also giant campaign supplements) But I understand this one thing.

If you love your game and don't stand up for it, you become isolated from what's out there. You can't live in a vacuum and say "Ha! I'm the only guy." It's about the principles of loving your game. It's one thing if you can't afford it and have to pick and choose your projects. But if you can, you should. Do I really need Champions Villains III? No. But I'd like to see Hero make some money. I'd like to see our game thrive. Sometimes that means buying a product you don't really love all that much. Golden Age Champions will be a great product. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm in for the Kickstarter --and a large pledge' date=' at that.[/quote']

Same here. Ditto for the Silver Age, if that's in the works.

For that matter, my hope is that not only will these succeed, but that they'll do well enough to encourage other Hero supplements dealing with the time period as well.

I would love to see period books on

Edwardian and Victorian era(Maybe toss in some SteamPunk and wild west)

QE 1 and the renaissance (1350 to 1650 main focus 1558 to 1603)

Golden age of piracy(1650 1750)

Dark and Middle Ages 700 to 1200

Cold War 1948 to 1992

these might be too much of a niche products so I would not hold my breath for them

But would be very happy if they did happen

Same here. Ditto for the Silver Age, if that's in the works.

For that matter, my hope is that not only will these succeed, but that they'll do well enough to encourage other Hero supplements dealing with the time period as well.

Can you give us a quick run-down of who they are? At least their names and power-sets. :)

From bottom front, going backwards left to right:

"The Crimson Palm" (Male-Red domino, black hair w/soul patch-goatee): mystical powers from his invisible left arm, which he keeps in a long red glove;

"Chance," aka "Agent Zero" (Male-Pale w/white hair, in gray three-piece suit): a "living ghost" who can astrally project and possess others' bodies;

"The Streak" (Male-Blond hair & goggles, blue-green unitard): circus performer and super-speedster;

"Ms. Strange" (Female-Blonde hair with purple chapeau and jacket, black cape): socialite and art patron infected by The Strangeness, an extra-dimensional parasite/symbiote that gives her dimension-warping powers;

"Agent Liberty" (Female-Brunette w/ponytail, patriotic-themed red, white and blue costume): acrobat and reformed thief/martial artist;

"Spring-Heeled Jack" (Male-Horned red devil mask, wearing tuxedo with spring-bracered boots): boots permit long-distance leaps and super-powerful kicks;

"Synth" (Male-Gas mask and armored body under hooded brown overcoat): a research biologist with advanced weaponry;

"The Raven" (Male-Dark grey unitard with cowl and black gloves, brandishing gun): political scientist and fanatical anti-fascist, defender of a South Sea paradise;

"The Amber Wave" (Female-Wavy titian hair, yellow-and-orange sailor suit and campaign cap): flying energy projector with force-field controllign powers;

"Justice" (Male-threadbare grey suit and stocking mask, with torn black cape and battered brown fedora): the vigilante vagabond, a hobo that mercilessly beats criminals (and later Nazis) to death;

"Guardian Angel" (Male-massive man with white angel wings, blue bandana-mask, and blue-and white unitard): a brick with a variety of divine (mostly healing) powers, believes himself to be a real angel sent to Earth;

"Toy Soldier" (Male, young child in WWI military helmet sitting on Guardian Angel's shoulder): controls an army of animated military toys that do his bidding;

"Doc Rocket" (Male, brown-haired man in white lab coat and rocket pack, seen in the distance behind Guardian Angel --he is NOT miniaturized, only far away): super-scientist and gadgeteer.