Building a Precog

Beazulbob

A fellow I know is interested in building a precog character. We are looking at ECs right now. Any suggestions or pre-existing examples?

He has the talent dangersense.

I'm buying him an EC with precog (no control) and armor (cost end to start, precog dodging)

:idjit:

Re: Building a Precog

hmm, Omen (Mind Games)

Well, lots of thing you could do with a precog,

How about some levels of Luck (Oh undead, lucky for me I knew I needed some holy water for some reason)

or Skill Levels (No it is not the blue wire, some thing bad happens if I cut the blue)

Maybe Requires a Roll (ver.), precog only (-1) and Time Modifiers (-1/2) and maybe Vague And Unclear (-1/2) rather then No control

then Link the other powers to the base precog power?

5th ed ECs stuff in them needs to cost end in 1 form or another

Combat luck for def

Luck in general

Weapons Master at the anything weapon level(need for both ranged and HtH)I knew he would leave that opening for me

Overall levels

Telepathy defined as, "I see what you are about to do" Limited so that it can only be used to see the target's next action.

Desolidification along the lines of the ultimate dodge, just defined as knowing where the bullets are not going to be.

Combat levels defined as knowing what is going to happen next.

Take DCV or dodge levels to give combat luck, not armor. No matter how lucky they are, the bullet/dagger/punch should hurt them the same amount if it hits. The special effect is knowing the damage is heading their way and getting out of the path, not getting tougher just before it hits.

Give them Cramming, so they can study enough to get a basic skill level in something that might be useful in the next day or two.

Lovecraft and other interaction skills - they always know what to say and do to impress, or at least, what not to say or do.

A fellow I know is interested in building a precog character. We are looking at ECs right now. Any suggestions or pre-existing examples?

He has the talent dangersense.

I'm buying him an EC with precog (no control) and armor (cost end to start, precog dodging)

As the others, I mostly see it working as teh Special Effect for being "Superskilled".

Real precognition is hard to do in any game. Maybe you could give him a 1 Phase Precognition, that allows him to always take the right defensive action? But I would advise agaisnt it, it's too metagamey.

A good SPD would work (when you know what is comming, reacting is easy).

Combat Luck and high CV's are naturally. Propably he is a Martial Artist.

I could even see him using indirect Attacks at Range:

Moving in way to foe runs into something. (Blast, Indirect)

Moving in a way to foe disarms/trips himself (TK with the Maneuvers).

Moving in a way the foe exposes hi own eyes to somethig ndangerous (Flash).

These power may have some level of IPE, but it's mandatory (the foe jsut "knows" that he is causign them to run into doors, trip and the like wioth the right movement).

I could even see a "combat prediction" VPP or Multipower.

Just think about how he wins fights, then built those powers as attacks.

I just viewed a Episode of the Avengers Animated Series, where spiderman used his Spidersense to disarm a big timemachine.

Pulling the wrong wire would have let it explode. The right would have shut it down. Imho it was totally inapropirate for Spiderman Spidersense. But it would be a viable power for a Precog.

Detect "The way to stop things without explosions". Maybe with extra time and concentration to simualte that he has to go around, and "consdier" each lever and part at least once to know how he feels about it.

Combat Precognition

I Saw That Coming - Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort Cost:4

I Saw This Coming - Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort Cost:4

I Saw THAT Coming too - Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove Cost:5

Bet You Didn't See THIS Coming - Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, +4Damage Class Strike Cost:5

Lucius Alexander

Everybody saw the palindromedary coming

Take Another Path: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension), Time Travel, Up to 1 Turn into the past, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Half Phase Action to reset, Three or more activation conditions apply simultaneously, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +1) (80 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect affects both character and environment; 1d6 Unluck, Cumulative (Butterfly Effect - see notes); -1), 2 clips of 3 Recoverable Charges (May not "relive" a particular turn an indefinite number of times. ; -1/2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Returns to previous Phase, action is delayed because character is busy scanning the future they just avoided; -1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; Jammed - can't see any way out of the situation; -1/4) Real Cost 25

The three activation conditions for the Trigger:

1. Character severely injured (to include dead or dying)

2. Character is unconscious

3. A variable condition preset by the character

Resetting: the Trigger requires a half phase to reset, so after each use the character should spend a half phase resetting it (i.e. scanning possible futures) in order to use it again.

Extra Time: Character returns to a prior phase and, unless their action is something that can be aborted to, their action is delayed one segment as they spend a second looking into the future and foreseeing the events they just evaded.

Charges: Even a precognizant cannot keep reviewing the same moments over and over. After three tries (meaning the same turn has been replayed four times) the character must "change clips" by spending an extra phase intently (and probably desperately) searching for a choice that leads to an acceptable future. The seventh possible future is final and unavoidably real.

Activation: If the roll fails, the character could not see any other possible future that was preferable.

Butterfly Effect: Every effort to change the future, makes the future less predictable. Roll 1d6 Unluck the first time the character relives a turn, 2d6 the second, and so forth up to 6d6 for a last chance.

Undoing damage: Returning to a previous time means all damage taken, END and Charges expended, etc are erased, but the precognizant will still suffer STUN damage (but not be Stunned and not below 1 STUN) for the same reason Mental Illusions can do damage. Getting the full sensory experience of being hurt before actually being hurt is traumatic in itself.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary knew it would be appearing in this tagline

Combat Precognition

I Saw That Coming - Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort Cost:4

I Saw This Coming - Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort Cost:4

I Saw THAT Coming too - Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove Cost:5

Bet You Didn't See THIS Coming - Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, +4Damage Class Strike Cost:5

Lucius Alexander

Everybody saw the palindromedary coming

I love the idea of Precog Martial Arts, but shouldn't "Bet You Didn't See THIS Coming" be a Manuever that increases the character's chance to hit?

I love the idea of Precog Martial Arts' date=' but shouldn't "Bet You Didn't See THIS Coming" be a Manuever that [i']increases[/i] the character's chance to hit?

Maybe....but I went for, if it hits it hurts

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary prepares to leap through the gap in the laws of probability

Take Another Path: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension)' date=' Time Travel, Up to 1 Turn into the past, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Half Phase Action to reset, Three or more activation conditions apply simultaneously, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +1) (80 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Side Effect affects both character and environment; 1d6 Unluck, Cumulative (Butterfly Effect - see notes); -1), 2 clips of 3 Recoverable Charges (May not "relive" a particular turn an indefinite number of times. ; -1/2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, Returns to previous Phase, action is delayed because character is busy scanning the future they just avoided; -1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; Jammed - can't see any way out of the situation; -1/4) Real Cost 25[/quote']

APG II has a "Replay" Power

• 2 weeks later...

one i built a several years ago

BloodRose

Val** Char*** Cost

16** STR 6

23** DEX 39

17** CON 14

15** BODY 10

16** INT 6

20** EGO 20

18** PRE 8

18** COM 4

4** PD 1

3** ED 0

5** SPD 17

6** REC 0

34** END 0

32** STUN 0

6"** RUN 0

2"** SWIM 0

3â€** LEAP 0

Cost Power END

20 Precognitive dodging: +4 with DCV

20 Precognitive awareness: +4 with HTH Combat

15 Precognitive reactions: Lightning Reflexes: +10 DEX to act first with All Actions

10 Second sight: Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing) (65 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 3/4), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; Character is totally unaware of nearby events; -1 1/2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), OAF (tarot deck; -1) 6

20 Danger Sense (self only, in combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional) 20-

20 Luck 4d6

11 Weapon belt: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); OIF (-1/2); all slots OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4)

1u 1.Throwing blades: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6+1, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), 12 Recoverable Charges (+1/4) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) 3

1u 2.Collapsible baton: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) 3

1u 3. Combat knife: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (3d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) 3

14 Armor (8 PD/8 ED) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)

Cost** Skill

Acting 13-

3 Analyze: Combat 12-

3 Break fall 14-

3 CuK: neo nazi groups 12-

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Fast Draw 14-

3 KS: knife fighting 12-

3 Lock picking 14-

3 Paramedics 12-

3 PS: fortune teller 13-

3 Security Systems 12-

3 Sleight Of Hand 14-

3 Stealth 14-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Streetwise 13-

4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms

Cost** Martial arts

4 Counterstrike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike, Must Follow Block

4 Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND

4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 Martial Disarm: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 36 STR to Disarm

4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 7d6 Strike

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Weapon Element: Blades, Clubs, Empty Hand, Off Hand

Val** Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: extensive scars and tattoos (Easily Concealed; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

20 Enraged: NAZIs (Uncommon), go 14-, recover 11-

25 Hunted: extreme rightwing groups 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: interpol 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Mildly Punish)

20 Psychological Limitation: protect innocents (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: can't stand bigotry (Very Common, Moderate)

10 Reputation: scourge of neonazis, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

10 Susceptibility: temporal distortion, 2d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 150

Blood Rose.

A Romany (gypsy) girl blessed with precognition her whole family was killed by a neo-nazi firebomb.

She escaped but was seriously injured by the flames while she was recovering in hospital she vowed revenge.

When she had recovered she began traveling the world and learning a range of martial arts especially knife based arts. She has a short-range precognitive ability that allows her to perceive and react top her opponent’s moves even before they make them.

Still a beautiful woman despite the extensive scaring down her left side in combat she tends to wear black leather that shows off the damage and the intricate tattoo across her right side a twisting mass of black thorn covered branches ending in blood red roses each of the blood red roses that form it is a member of the neo-nazi gang that she has hunted down and maimed. There are eleven roses and space for 2 more the final one will go right over her heart.